ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 9, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #2,041 of 9,709
Good seeing you @ArthurPower
- that V281 is a monster, I miss my old one.  =(

We've gone through a ton of rounds of final tweaks, the design is done as we just need to switch the volume knob for a final volume curve needs.  After this final unit is built if we find out a way to build it consistently we will release it, it's a slow process though, so nothing is truly imminent.

As far as amps, I hope to list the decware amps on our website sometime in the near future as I love how they match with all ZMF's. 

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it!

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,042 of 9,709
How do the Metrum DAC's compare to the Schiit ones? My desktop space isn't big ... I currently have a Mumby on my desk and a Gumby in my entertainment center

Just curious never heard a Metrum ... was also thinking about waiting for the new Chord 2Qute coming out at the end of the year

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #2,043 of 9,709

Thanks!  Zach really did an amazing job on the Bocote ones.  They look just as good in person too.  But man, I really want an Eikon :)   I know I would regret selling these though.

Hahah true enough.  It is tempting though.  If I were to eventually get an Eikon, either the Ori or the HE6 will have to go...not sure on which though... Why did Zach have to make these so damn sexy :)

My new ormosia henyri Ori is still burning in (will do real listening tonight). The wood is beautiful: a warm, rich, light brown with intricate (but not dramatic) grain. Only listened to it ~20" straight out of the box, and already can't imagine ever letting these headphones go. They sound wonderful AND were purpose-built by a true craftsman.

BUT...if/when I get an Atticus, it would be amazing if it had vertical bocote like your Omni/Ori. On the somewhat larger, more angular earcups of Atticus and Eikon, I'll bet bocote would absolutely kill.

Other woods that would probably be striking are teak (if stained/sealed in a way that enhanced color gradations); rosewood; and black limba, a relatively light/resonant wood w/dramatic color/grain variation. Zach has used black limba for Omni/Ori, but it may not be available in sufficient quantities...

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2,044 of 9,709
My new ormosia henyri Ori is still burning in (will do real listening tonight). The wood is beautiful: a warm, rich, light brown with intricate (but not dramatic) grain. Only listened to it ~20" straight out of the box, and already can't imagine ever letting these headphones go. They sound wonderful AND were purpose-built by a true craftsman.

BUT...if/when I get an Atticus, it would be amazing if it had vertical bocote like your Omni/Ori. On the somewhat larger, more angular earcups of Atticus and Eikon, I'll bet bocote would absolutely kill.

Other woods that would probably be striking are teak (if stained/sealed in a way that enhanced color gradations); rosewood; and black limba, a relatively light/resonant wood w/dramatic color/grain variation. Zach has used black limba for Omni/Ori, but it may not be available in sufficient quantities...

Teak would be cool. I love the grain and light/dark striations on my E-MU Teak. I'll admit to being a dark wood/stain fan though.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #2,045 of 9,709
Teak would be cool. I love the grain and light/dark striations on my E-MU Teak. I'll admit to being a dark wood/stain fan though.

Yes, the E-MU teak cups really highlight those striations. I like the look of that teak better than some of the all-one-color variations I've seen in aftermarket wooden earcups.

I'm more of a medium-light to medium shade fan when it comes to wood. Whatever grain structure is in the wood tends to be more visible then.

I actually like the look of ebony, but doubt we'll ever see that in an Atticus/Eikon (way too heavy).

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #2,046 of 9,709

These are good times. When others have been releasing hp's priced outrageously Zach gives the market solid price to performance with beautiful tonality. I am excited to hear these final releases!

I think what makes a difference is when the manufacturer is at heart an enthusiast and hobbyist. It is easier to fill the voids that have been missing in the hobby. Zachs perspective is from that angle and once he got his hands on his own drivers he was able to fill a much needed void  for headphones above 1K

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #2,047 of 9,709
Seems like things started moving again on the order list. My status says "Sanding and Finishing". I'm number 58 starting from the second row.
Need to complete the set: Mojo -> Liquid Carbon v2 -> Norne balanced cable -> Eikon Padauk (final piece) :D

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #2,048 of 9,709
I am the very first assembly now while still sitting at number 18. Everyone ahead of me is now final testing or burning in. That means I will be next to change status to burning in.

Feb 10, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #2,051 of 9,709
  Is there any more information about upgrading to the OFC cable if we already own a ZMF headphone with stock cable?

We are working on some options for cables, we will announce them as soon as we get it all figured out.  I think everyone will be quite pleased though!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 10, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #2,052 of 9,709
We are working on some options for cables, we will announce them as soon as we get it all figured out.  I think everyone will be quite pleased though!

10' of cryogenically treated pure silver litz with an 8 wire braid and hand carved bocote y splitter and platinum coated plugs?!

Just kidding.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #2,053 of 9,709
10' of cryogenically treated pure silver litz with an 8 wire braid and hand carved bocote y splitter and platinum coated plugs?!

Just kidding.

Don't forget the wire dipped in unicorn blood and blessed with angel's tears!

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #2,054 of 9,709
Don't forget the wire dipped in unicorn blood and blessed with angel's tears!

Sorry, I thought that was part of the cryogenic treatment process. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back