ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
May 19, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #9,001 of 9,714
Excellent point re: The Audeze LCD-3.

It is one of the few headphones on my short list for possible future purchase (along with Atticus)… though I’ll need to sell my Elear if I like the LCD-3 better. 😊 Trying to stay with four headphones in addition to my trusty Shure SRH-1540 that I wear most of each day…

(And yes, of course I covet a Verité Closed- but I don’t think l’ll ever be able to afford one)
Avoid the eight (technically nine if you include my portables) curse that plagues me at ALL COSTS! Your wallet will thank you.

In all seriousness, since the LCD4 was released and the LCDX became a reviewers favourite, the 3 has fallen from the spotlight. I think it is fantastic and its certainly one of the headphones and least be willing to part with from my Arsenal.

May 19, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #9,002 of 9,714
I agree with much of Erics75's answer (I currently own a Focal Clear, an Eikon, and I used to own both the Ztticus and Auteur). Given the fact that you want a more vocal forward alternative to the Celeste and you own the Monoprice M1060C, you may want to consider an Audeze LCD3. It splits the difference sound signature wise between the Eikon and Atticus but trades the timbre and naturalness of ZMF headphones for the incisiveness and speed of planars. It may be closer to the "wow" your hoping for over the ZMF offerings.
Yeah I‘ve thought about Audeze too, but my M1060C is to heavy for me. The headband is **** and the metal presses on my head and I have no clamping force on the sides. I‘ve a big head too. I can't use the M1060C for even 30 minutes. The sound atleast is good for the price with eq.
The Celestee is perfect weight/comfort for me.

I like the vocals and overall sound on the Celestee but, I think we all know that after a while you will buy a upgrade or hundrets of them. You can never have enough :)

May 19, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #9,003 of 9,714
Yeah I‘ve thought about Audeze too, but my M1060C is to heavy for me. The headband is **** and the metal presses on my head and I have no clamping force on the sides. I‘ve a big head too. I can't use the M1060C for even 30 minutes. The sound atleast is good for the price with eq.
The Celestee is perfect weight/comfort for me.

I like the vocals and overall sound on the Celestee but, I think we all know that after a while you will buy a upgrade or hundrets of them. You can never have enough :)
In that case, anything Audeze would be out. Also, at 483g the M1060C is around the same weight as most ZMF headphones so you may need to pick something else if a 450g weight is too much for you.

May 19, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #9,004 of 9,714
In that case, anything Audeze would be out. Also, at 483g the M1060C is around the same weight as most ZMF headphones so you may need to pick something else if a 450g weight is too much for you.
The Celestee is at 430g not much lighter than the M1060C, but the M1060C's headbandsystem is simply not good. 3 hours+ with the Celestee are no problem.
The weight is not a problem itself, the pressure on top and no clamping force on the sides is my problem. I don't think the ZMF offerings are more worse in this regard (this isn't possible). I'm not sure about Audeze though.

May 19, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #9,005 of 9,714
The Celestee is at 430g not much lighter than the M1060C, but the M1060C's headbandsystem is simply not good. 3 hours+ with the Celestee are no problem.
The weight is not a problem itself, the pressure on top and no clamping force on the sides is my problem. I don't think the ZMF offerings are more worse in this regard (this isn't possible). I'm not sure about Audeze though.
Personally, I find the LCD3 to be only a touch side heavy relative to the Eikon but there is probably a good chance that you can demo an Audeze in your area.

May 19, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #9,006 of 9,714
Hello,

The new headgear system from ZMF is excellent.
On my Auteur, I don't even notice the weight on my head.
I also had no problems with the Lcd 2C where my headphones were for a long time.

What I noticed is that the headband system from Zmf is simply better than the one from Audeze.
The contact pressure seems to be more even with Zmf than with Audeze.
With the Audeze, the contact pressure came more from the sides of the drivers, i.e. more U-shaped, where the U-lines are closer together. With the Zmf, they seem to spread out more and fit the head better.

Bottom line, the Audeze is okay, the Zmf is better.

Unfortunately I can't say much about the Sennheiser 800.
It's worth reading the reviews.
Sennheiser has never been my personal domain where I say it is.
I think there's a lot of plastic for the price, just like with the Focal.

May 19, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #9,007 of 9,714
Price-Performancewise are ZMF headphones miles better in the US than for example here in germany.
I think the retail price from the Eikon is or was 1,400$ in the USA, in germany 1,800$! The same with Audeze.
Focal's are similar. It's really a shame.

May 19, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #9,009 of 9,714
I can't speak to the M1060C, but I can speak to Audeze & ZMF:
  • Audeze: I've owned 2 of their headphones (pre-fazor LCD-2.1; pre-fazor LCD-3) and had a later model LCD-3/fazor IMS for weeks on loan. Speaking strictly of comfort, Audeze are IMS challenging headphones to live with. I'm never unaware of them on my head, even if they're not actually bothering me w/discomfort. And don't even get me started on glued earpads (that's insane).
  • ZMF: I own 4 currently (Ori; blackwood Aeolus; silkwood Verite Open; cherry Atrium) and formerly owned 2 others (padauk Eikon; cocobolo Atticus). The overall comfort of ZMF headphones IMO is excellent. None of these headphones are exactly light, and the heavier wood models zoom up over 600 grams. But the very comfy earpads and well-designed suspension system just work. I often forget I have a ZMF headphone on my head. The Atrium is the newest ZMF model, and my first exposure to new-style headband w/add'l padding: it's even more comfortable than the already effective older suspension. As if that wasn't enough. you can get a ZMF Pilot Pad (I use one on the Ori), which is crazy/comfortable.
Comfort award goes to ZMF.

So does the sonics award (ZMF laps the field there), but I digress.

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #9,010 of 9,714
I think so too, you can totally relax even though it feels heavy. Can only agree with you two. @Pharmaboy and @jinxy245
When I put on the Lcd 2C it feels a bit oppressive at times, but it's only the first moment and then it's fine.

Oh well pads on the Audeze is one thing let's not even get started on that.
Care is the most important thing if you want to get a long life out of it.

The Audeze drivers with the Zmf headband would probably be ideal, I had really thought about it but the Lcd2C will probably leave me after I have heard the Auteur.
Even if it's not perfect, the Lcd2 C isn't either.

If I had to buy again, I would probably go for the Zmf again.
Because the sound is simply better.

May 19, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #9,011 of 9,714
I have degenerated discs and arthritis in my neck, basically the neck of someone 25 years older than me. With the crescent band I have no problem with my 613g Blackwood Verite Open. I find the Pilot Pad works equally well for me. I do notice the weight of course if I use a lighter headphone first, or go to one right after, but I can still wear them for hours and always find them comfortable despite the weight.

May 19, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #9,012 of 9,714
I just sold a 2020 vintage LCD-XC because I personally couldn’t get past the weight. Like previously mentioned you never really forget that you have them on. I’m 6 foot two at around 220 pounds, so it’s not like I’m particularly small or skinny either.

Where I am based in Japan, a dealer had an (overpriced) set of ZMF Eikon Camphor’s on sale in new condition, and I picked those up. They’re still kind of heavy, but not so distracting that I know I have something that weighs a pound and a half on my head.

May 19, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #9,013 of 9,714
Quick question for you seasoned ZMF owners about Dacs. When I auditioned my Eikon’s at the shop, they were running them off a Bartok dac amp. I really liked the sound—to me airy, punchy, crystal clear. A bit sparkly on top which I could have done without but not bad.

I’m in Japan and the Bartok is about $30k here and obviously not something I’m able to pick up nor need. Currently I have a Zen Dac/Can stack—I don’t have any complaints, and often use Xbass and Xspace/3D buttons, but was curious if anyone has a recommendation for a desktop (preferably relatively compact) Dac that would sound closer to the Bartok—I guess more revealing and airy than the Zen—for maybe around a grand or less. Maybe stretch a bit more if needed with a solid amp. I will probably pick up a tube amp as well later on depending on space.

Other option is just to stick with what I have if there aren’t going to be many gains had, and pick up a tube amp.

My stack has the channel in balance problem that I think most of the people have at the lower listening levels, and I’ve found the Eikon to be way more sensitive than expected—hence the volume dial not really going above 9’o clock. There are several recommendations in the thread like Burson and whatnot but curious if there’s anything else—maybe a hidden gem that isn’t as popular but easy to get ahold of. (Can get most of the Chinese stuff here as well as ifi, Chord, etc. But no Schiit, JDS, etc.)

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #9,014 of 9,714
I just sold a 2020 vintage LCD-XC because I personally couldn’t get past the weight. Like previously mentioned you never really forget that you have them on. I’m 6 foot two at around 220 pounds, so it’s not like I’m particularly small or skinny either.

Where I am based in Japan, a dealer had an (overpriced) set of ZMF Eikon Camphor’s on sale in new condition, and I picked those up. They’re still kind of heavy, but not so distracting that I know I have something that weighs a pound and a half on my head.
This is where the ZMF expertise & excellence in headband design come in…☑️.

May 20, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #9,015 of 9,714
Quick question for you seasoned ZMF owners about Dacs. When I auditioned my Eikon’s at the shop, they were running them off a Bartok dac amp. I really liked the sound—to me airy, punchy, crystal clear. A bit sparkly on top which I could have done without but not bad.

I’m in Japan and the Bartok is about $30k here and obviously not something I’m able to pick up nor need. Currently I have a Zen Dac/Can stack—I don’t have any complaints, and often use Xbass and Xspace/3D buttons, but was curious if anyone has a recommendation for a desktop (preferably relatively compact) Dac that would sound closer to the Bartok—I guess more revealing and airy than the Zen—for maybe around a grand or less. Maybe stretch a bit more if needed with a solid amp. I will probably pick up a tube amp as well later on depending on space.

Other option is just to stick with what I have if there aren’t going to be many gains had, and pick up a tube amp.

My stack has the channel in balance problem that I think most of the people have at the lower listening levels, and I’ve found the Eikon to be way more sensitive than expected—hence the volume dial not really going above 9’o clock. There are several recommendations in the thread like Burson and whatnot but curious if there’s anything else—maybe a hidden gem that isn’t as popular but easy to get ahold of. (Can get most of the Chinese stuff here as well as ifi, Chord, etc. But no Schiit, JDS, etc.)
R2R ladder topology - compact - not too expensive vs Zen Dac/Can….. Audio-GD R2R 11 is one to look into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back