ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
May 20, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #9,017 of 9,716
R2R ladder topology - compact - not too expensive vs Zen Dac/Can….. Audio-GD R2R 11 is one to look into.
Agreed on the R2R ladder topology!

May 20, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #9,018 of 9,716
Quick question for you seasoned ZMF owners about Dacs. When I auditioned my Eikon’s at the shop, they were running them off a Bartok dac amp. I really liked the sound—to me airy, punchy, crystal clear. A bit sparkly on top which I could have done without but not bad.

I’m in Japan and the Bartok is about $30k here and obviously not something I’m able to pick up nor need. Currently I have a Zen Dac/Can stack—I don’t have any complaints, and often use Xbass and Xspace/3D buttons, but was curious if anyone has a recommendation for a desktop (preferably relatively compact) Dac that would sound closer to the Bartok—I guess more revealing and airy than the Zen—for maybe around a grand or less. Maybe stretch a bit more if needed with a solid amp. I will probably pick up a tube amp as well later on depending on space.

Other option is just to stick with what I have if there aren’t going to be many gains had, and pick up a tube amp.

My stack has the channel in balance problem that I think most of the people have at the lower listening levels, and I’ve found the Eikon to be way more sensitive than expected—hence the volume dial not really going above 9’o clock. There are several recommendations in the thread like Burson and whatnot but curious if there’s anything else—maybe a hidden gem that isn’t as popular but easy to get ahold of. (Can get most of the Chinese stuff here as well as ifi, Chord, etc. But no Schiit, JDS, etc.)
The Bartok is a curious beast, I heard one at CanJam NYC. I believe in the U.S. it's half that price, which is still insane. It did sound phenomenal I'll give it that much. I'm not sure you'll be able to get to that level of performance at the price you're looking, but the us as usual suspects from Schiit, Soekris, MHDT, Metrum, Holo, and all the rest are worth looking into. I agree a good r2r or NOS will likely give you some of the smoothness you seem to be looking for.

FWIW my reference is a Schiit Bifrost 2, I'm pretty happy with the sound overall. It is definitely a journey, I wish you luck... and enjoy!

May 20, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #9,019 of 9,716
Excellent point re: The Audeze LCD-3.

It is one of the few headphones on my short list for possible future purchase (along with Atticus)… though I’ll need to sell my Elear if I like the LCD-3 better. 😊 Trying to stay with four headphones in addition to my trusty Shure SRH-1540 that I wear most of each day…

(And yes, of course I covet a Verité Closed- but I don’t think l’ll ever be able to afford one)

The Bartok is a curious beast, I heard one at CanJam NYC. I believe in the U.S. it's half that price, which is still insane. It did sound phenomenal I'll give it that much. I'm not sure you'll be able to get to that level of performance at the price you're looking, but the us as usual suspects from Schiit, Soekris, MHDT, Metrum, Holo, and all the rest are worth looking into. I agree a good r2r or NOS will likely give you some of the smoothness you seem to be looking for.

FWIW my reference is a Schiit Bifrost 2, I'm pretty happy with the sound overall. It is definitely a journey, I wish you luck... and enjoy!
Second the Bifrost 2!!😀

Jun 16, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #9,020 of 9,716
Who here keeps coming back to Atticus? I just can't find someone that sounds so exciting, vivid and comforting the way atticus does.

Jun 16, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #9,021 of 9,716
Who here keeps coming back to Atticus? I just can't find someone that sounds so exciting, vivid and comforting the way atticus does.
I am right there with ya man! I will never stop loving my Atticus, and it never disappoints.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #9,023 of 9,716
Well thanks for making me want my Atticus at work today! :) I brought my Atrium so not a bad consolation prize haha. But I totally want my Atticus now, it's like comfort food to me, so soothing and enjoyable.

Jun 16, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #9,024 of 9,716
Well thanks for making me want my Atticus at work today! :) I brought my Atrium so not a bad consolation prize haha. But I totally want my Atticus now, it's like comfort food to me, so soothing and enjoyable.
Soothing is a great way to put it, and I love how I can really crank the volume without any harshness or fatigue, and just get lost in the music. The smoothness combined with weighty notes and killer midbass impact is addictive, and everytime I put my Atticus on it's like coming home. Obviously, they don't quite have the speed and detail of my VC's, but they can hold their own and I want for nothing while listening.

Long live the Atticus!

Jun 16, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #9,025 of 9,716
Soothing is a great way to put it, and I love how I can really crank the volume without any harshness or fatigue, and just get lost in the music. The smoothness combined with weighty notes and killer midbass impact is addictive, and everytime I put my Atticus on it's like coming home. Obviously, they don't quite have the speed and detail of my VC's, but they can hold their own and I want for nothing while listening.

Long live the Atticus!
Amen! It's the king of engagement

Jun 17, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #9,026 of 9,716
Anyone have 800 or 800S as their atticus complement ? Seem like perfect opposites.

Jun 17, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #9,027 of 9,716
Anyone have 800 or 800S as their atticus complement ? Seem like perfect opposites.
I did for awhile but prefer the Auteur to the 800, so I sold my 800. The Atticus and Auteur combo was my go to for quite awhile until the Atrium threw a wrench in things. Not sure yet how the dust is going to settle.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #9,028 of 9,716
I did for awhile but prefer the Auteur to the 800, so I sold my 800. The Atticus and Auteur combo was my go to for quite awhile until the Atrium threw a wrench in things. Not sure yet how the dust is going to settle.
Interesting I felt auteur was a kind of compromised middle ground between 800 and atty, so I sold it.

Jun 17, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #9,029 of 9,716
Interesting I felt auteur was a kind of compromised middle ground between 800 and atty, so I sold it.
i can see that view, it's warmer and not as resolving. for my preferences the 800 just went too far on the lean side of things. as great as the staging and resolution are with it, it just couldn't engage me like the Auteur. and i find the Auteur to be different enough from the Atty to be a great complimentary set. i think the Auteur is about as far towards neutral as i can go.

Jun 17, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #9,030 of 9,716
I sold the hd800 in favor of the auteur, then bought another hd800. We’re all in the same boat paddling different ways :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back