ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 25, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #8,300 of 9,763
Hey has anyone here compared the Atticus with the Aeolus? I have the latter now but there are a couple of Atticus up for grabs on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart) and I am curious to try them. One is in Cocobolo wood.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #8,301 of 9,763
Hey has anyone here compared the Atticus with the Aeolus? I have the latter now but there are a couple of Atticus up for grabs on CAM (Canuck Audio Mart) and I am curious to try them. One is in Cocobolo wood.
I own both, and honestly, feel one is enough. They're very similar sounding overall. The Atticus is a bit harder hitting and resonant. The Aeolus a touch more open sounding (which it should being open) and a touch more even sounding from sub bass to treble. The Atticus imo has a stronger mid forward signature. But we're splitting hairs here, and if you own one, you pretty much own the other imo. Unless you need the isolation, or want to push the mid bass/warmth factor farther than the Aeolus, no need to get an Atticus. I only own both because i'm an impulsive collector. If I had to sell any of my ZMFs it would be one of them first, before hitting the more unique sounding sets. Just my opinion though.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #8,302 of 9,763
I own both, and honestly, feel one is enough. They're very similar sounding overall. The Atticus is a bit harder hitting and resonant. The Aeolus a touch more open sounding (which it should being open) and a touch more even sounding from sub bass to treble. The Atticus imo has a stronger mid forward signature. But we're splitting hairs here, and if you own one, you pretty much own the other imo. Unless you need the isolation, or want to push the mid bass/warmth factor farther than the Aeolus, no need to get an Atticus. I only own both because i'm an impulsive collector. If I had to sell any of my ZMFs it would be one of them first, before hitting the more unique sounding sets. Just my opinion though.

Hmm okay. Fair enough. So the Atticus can be a bit "darker" than Aeolus due to being closed back. Otherwise they sound virtually identical? I'm currently using a Marantz HD-DAC1 as my headphone amp.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #8,303 of 9,763
Hmm okay. Fair enough. So the Atticus can be a bit "darker" than Aeolus due to being closed back. Otherwise they sound virtually identical? I'm currently using a Marantz HD-DAC1 as my headphone amp.
You'll definitely notice more of a mid-bass impact with the Atticus. I prefer the Aeolus, it still has a similar punch as the Atticus, but backs off just enough to make everything else just be enjoyable to listen to.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #8,304 of 9,763
they're similar enough that i'm not sure i'd pass a blind a/b test. i feel the Aeolus is a bit more refined and open sounding, but it's really close overall.

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #8,305 of 9,763
they're similar enough that i'm not sure i'd pass a blind a/b test. i feel the Aeolus is a bit more refined and open sounding, but it's really close overall.

Okay cool. Thanks. I will say that if money was no object I'd get all the ZMF headphones and try them all. Unfortunately I'm not a wealthy man. The Auteur also seems really great.

Jun 25, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #8,306 of 9,763

Another point to consider is amplifier synergy: my blackwood Aeolus (and loaner sapele Aeolus from @jinxy245) sounded wonderful on every amp I tried (a total of 8 or 9 SS, tube or hybrid amps IMS). I can't get the Aeolus to sound even "average" no matter what amp I use. But it was not that way with the Atticus, which I found to be extremely amp-picky.

I can't explain or even understand that...but it's what happened.

Jun 25, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #8,307 of 9,763
Another point to consider is amplifier synergy: my blackwood Aeolus (and loaner sapele Aeolus from @jinxy245) sounded wonderful on every amp I tried (a total of 8 or 9 SS, tube or hybrid amps IMS). I can't get the Aeolus to sound even "average" no matter what amp I use. But it was not that way with the Atticus, which I found to be extremely amp-picky.

I can't explain or even understand that...but it's what happened.
I totally agree and my guess is it’s due to the added resonance of the closed cups. I do find the Atticus to be way pickier to amp. It’s definitely strange!

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #8,308 of 9,763
I feel pretty much the same and it's why the Aeolus is the only ZMF I've sold. I preferred the Atticus myself.

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #8,309 of 9,763
Okay cool. Thanks. I will say that if money was no object I'd get all the ZMF headphones and try them all. Unfortunately I'm not a wealthy man. The Auteur also seems really great.
If you have an Aeolus, and want another ZMF, i'd recommend going for an Eikon or Auteur. That will be a nice complement to the Aeolus. My favorite two ZMFs that complement each perfectly (for me) are the Atticus (or Aeolus) and Auteur. If i had to downsize the collection to two sets, that would likely be the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back