ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 17, 2021 at 11:55 PM Post #8,281 of 9,763
Can I ask you what you’re using to hook up your Atticus to your speaker amp? I’ve got an Atticus on the way and a decently powerful speaker amp at 200w, and am curious how the pairing might sound, but I’m worried about blowing the doors off something as sensitive as Atticus even with an attenuator/adapter. Am I just being overly cautious? Anyone else have experience with Zmfs and speaker amps?

Ted allen speaker tap to xlr cable. Ya no worries just careful with the volume.

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #8,282 of 9,763
This might be answered already, but is there an open-back 'equivalent' to the Eikon in the ZMF lineup? As in, similar driver and tuning but even more open sounding than the Eikon? (Not that the Eikon is any slouch in the soundstage dept).

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #8,283 of 9,763
This might be answered already, but is there an open-back 'equivalent' to the Eikon in the ZMF lineup? As in, similar driver and tuning but even more open sounding than the Eikon? (Not that the Eikon is any slouch in the soundstage dept)

Jun 18, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #8,285 of 9,763
I was thinking that might be the case, but I hear that the auteur is kind of warm and I've never considered the Eikon as warm so it kind of threw me off.

They use the same driver then?

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #8,286 of 9,763
Yes, they use the same driver.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #8,287 of 9,763
This might be answered already, but is there an open-back 'equivalent' to the Eikon in the ZMF lineup? As in, similar driver and tuning but even more open sounding than the Eikon? (Not that the Eikon is any slouch in the soundstage dept).
I'd say the Auteur. They share the same driver, but have a few sonic differences. The Eikon is warmer overall than the Auteur, with stronger sub and mid bass presence. The Auteur is more neutral and even sounding, but still has some warmth to it to avoid sounding lean, boring, or clinical. Though it has less bass presence, the Auteur's bass is still quite strong and satisfying. But if you want the same or more bass as the Eikon, the Auteur will probably disappoint. The Auteur also has more treble presence than the Eikon. I personally find the Auteur's treble to be smoother sounding overall and less fatiguing vs the Eikon, even if it is a touch brighter. But worth noting if you're treble sensitive. Finally, the Auteur is more open sounding, though the differences are not huge. You get less cup resonance and reverb overall, with a slightly expanded soundstage.

The only other open set that's similar to the Eikon would be the Verite, though I think it's more different than the Eikon vs the Auteur. It's faster, more resolving, brighter, more open, and WAY more demanding of your upstream gear. The Eikon/Auteur can sound pretty good with mid-fi equipment, but the VO can sound pretty crappy on that same setup. Feed it a proper system though and it transforms, scaling far more than the other ZMFs are capable of.

Jun 18, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #8,288 of 9,763
That would be the Auteur: the same drivers in somewhat differently shaped (and vented) wooden earcups. Many people like the Auteur.

There's a long thread on it here if you're interested: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-auteur-thread.862918/

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #8,289 of 9,763
I was thinking that might be the case, but I hear that the auteur is kind of warm and I've never considered the Eikon as warm so it kind of threw me off.

They use the same driver then?
Auteur is the least warm in the ZMF lineup.

Jun 23, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #8,290 of 9,763
Just bought an Atticus and I wanted to polish it up a bit. Anyone know what to use on the wood?

They look amazing but just wanted an extra bit of love.

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #8,291 of 9,763
Just bought an Atticus and I wanted to polish it up a bit. Anyone know what to use on the wood?

They look amazing but just wanted an extra bit of love.
The site has lots of great info for you to peruse at your leisure...in particularly the "guide" section answers many of these questions:
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-guide

I'll quote it for you:
"Most ZMF Headphones use Lacquer or a hard curing handwiped varnish. For these headphones we highly recommend using MoHawk Penthouse Polish:

https://www.amazon.com/Mohawk-Finishing-Products-Penthouse-Polish/dp/B00C7XPYYU

For headphones with a matte finish such as Barnwood, or rustic and aged type finishes, we recommend using just a dry cloth to wipe your headphones clean. This also includes headphones made from pheasantwood."

Enjoy!

Jun 23, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #8,292 of 9,763
The site has lots of great info for you to peruse at your leisure...in particularly the "guide" section answers many of these questions:
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-guide

I'll quote it for you:
"Most ZMF Headphones use Lacquer or a hard curing handwiped varnish. For these headphones we highly recommend using MoHawk Penthouse Polish:

https://www.amazon.com/Mohawk-Finishing-Products-Penthouse-Polish/dp/B00C7XPYYU

For headphones with a matte finish such as Barnwood, or rustic and aged type finishes, we recommend using just a dry cloth to wipe your headphones clean. This also includes headphones made from pheasantwood."

Enjoy!
Thanks

The link no longer works so I'll see if I can find it somewhere else.

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #8,293 of 9,763
Jun 24, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #8,294 of 9,763
Thanks

Both links worked for me? Penthouse is awesome stuff!

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #8,295 of 9,763
Thanks

That's odd, it works for me...I wonder if it's a country restriction or something weird like that. The quote is from the website though. Best of luck

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back