1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by hisoundfi, Oct 1, 2016.
First

Back
45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Next

Last
  1. DoctaCosmos
    Those work great

2. cglin222
    I mean the Attitcus and Eikon driver itself is warm/mid-bass vs neutral/sub-bass, so reason you picked Padauk attitcus is because atticus is already lush on the mids, so you wanted to add a deeper soundstage and faster decay instead of cherry?
    I mean what is the sound difference between Cherry/Padauk Attitcus? or Cherry/Padauk Eikon?

3. The_Blood_Raven

I'm 99% sure he picked the Padauk because it looks cool. He's said a few times he doesn't think the wood matters much, as has Zach. Pick what you think looks good.

joeq70 likes this.
  4. BushkaNicke

Given the th-x00 sound differences, I would assume that the wood could have a definate impact on the sound and should be considered as a factor.

5. The_Blood_Raven

Well, different drivers, different cup designs, and different rear damping (read none for the THx00). There are a lot of reasons for discrepancies, not the least of which the fairly poor QC with thx00s in general. If Zach himself says that the woods don't make a large difference and are subtle even with A/B, I'm going to believe him.

I bought Padauk btw, I just don't think its worth the obsessing people are doing over the wood differences.

6. DanDorn
    As I've posted before, when Zach announces a new line, I listen. But part of me thinks... would the Attitcus or Eikon float my boat any better than my ZMF Blackwood cans? I love the Blackwoods so much -- BIG soundstage for a closed can, amazing mids, tight and controlled bass, magically matched to my Chord Hugo -- that they might remain my ZMF endgame. But I'm curious, alright.

7. mwhals
    These will be my first headphones. I have the JH Angie II IEM, but no headphones. I struggled between LCD-2/3 and Ether Flow, but then these were announced where I could get both for the same money. The Dharma D1000 was also a consideration. I may still get one of the other flavors one day to go with the ZMFs.

8. ProfFalkin

I agree. The internal build differences are so vast, it's a poor comparison with the thx00.

Just get padauk, it's the sexy wood. :p

9. The_Blood_Raven

An interesting perspective. If you enjoy a somewhat warm and smooth sound, which it seems you do going by that list, I think you'll be very happy.

I dunno, that aged cherry Omni Zach posted was extremely beautiful. I don't think there is a bad option here. Personally though, I can't resist the red.

10. Hisoundfi Contributor
    I'm wrapping up the Atticus review. It should be up tonight. 

LepakVT, YtseJamer and DoctaCosmos like this.
  11. Hisoundfi Contributor
    20161112_103718.jpg

whirlwind, DoctaCosmos and Rhamnetin like this.
  12. JerryLeeds
    I just noticed a note about the wood finish ... stock is hand applied ... and the note mentions a more "factory" like smooth sprayed finish is also possible (if you send a note)

Any thoughts on this?

13. AeRoPLoDgE
    I went with factory finish on my eikon. My blackwoods have the standard I think, so I wanted to change it up a bit. 

14. zach915m

It's the difference between hand wiped varnish and spray lacquer.  Varnish brings out the color and grain and you can "feel" the wood more, lacquer builds on top of the wood more and doesn't penetrate as much and leaves a lighter color.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
  15. jinxy245

That is one beautiful sight...and sound...

First

Back
45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54
56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65
Next

Last