ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 15, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #812 of 9,709
Nah, Padauk has a slightly deeper soundstage and decays slightly faster. It doesn't effect the warmth at all.

I mean the Attitcus and Eikon driver itself is warm/mid-bass vs neutral/sub-bass, so reason you picked Padauk attitcus is because atticus is already lush on the mids, so you wanted to add a deeper soundstage and faster decay instead of cherry?
I mean what is the sound difference between Cherry/Padauk Attitcus? or Cherry/Padauk Eikon?

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #813 of 9,709
I mean the Attitcus and Eikon driver itself is warm/mid-bass vs neutral/sub-bass, so reason you picked Padauk attitcus is because atticus is already lush on the mids, so you wanted to add a deeper soundstage and faster decay instead of cherry?
I mean what is the sound difference between Cherry/Padauk Attitcus? or Cherry/Padauk Eikon?

I'm 99% sure he picked the Padauk because it looks cool. He's said a few times he doesn't think the wood matters much, as has Zach. Pick what you think looks good.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #815 of 9,709
Given the th-x00 sound differences, I would assume that the wood could have a definate impact on the sound and should be considered as a factor.

Well, different drivers, different cup designs, and different rear damping (read none for the THx00). There are a lot of reasons for discrepancies, not the least of which the fairly poor QC with thx00s in general. If Zach himself says that the woods don't make a large difference and are subtle even with A/B, I'm going to believe him.

I bought Padauk btw, I just don't think its worth the obsessing people are doing over the wood differences.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #816 of 9,709
As I've posted before, when Zach announces a new line, I listen. But part of me thinks... would the Attitcus or Eikon float my boat any better than my ZMF Blackwood cans? I love the Blackwoods so much -- BIG soundstage for a closed can, amazing mids, tight and controlled bass, magically matched to my Chord Hugo -- that they might remain my ZMF endgame. But I'm curious, alright.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #817 of 9,709
These will be my first headphones. I have the JH Angie II IEM, but no headphones. I struggled between LCD-2/3 and Ether Flow, but then these were announced where I could get both for the same money. The Dharma D1000 was also a consideration. I may still get one of the other flavors one day to go with the ZMFs.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #818 of 9,709
Well, different drivers, different cup designs, and different rear damping (read none for the THx00). There are a lot of reasons for discrepancies, not the least of which the fairly poor QC with thx00s in general. If Zach himself says that the woods don't make a large difference and are subtle even with A/B, I'm going to believe him.

I bought Padauk btw, I just don't think its worth the obsessing people are doing over the wood differences.

I agree. The internal build differences are so vast, it's a poor comparison with the thx00.

Just get padauk, it's the sexy wood. :p

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #819 of 9,709
These will be my first headphones. I have the JH Angie II IEM, but no headphones. I struggled between LCD-2/3 and Ether Flow, but then these were announced where I could get both for the same money. The Dharma D1000 was also a consideration. I may still get one of the other flavors one day to go with the ZMFs.

An interesting perspective. If you enjoy a somewhat warm and smooth sound, which it seems you do going by that list, I think you'll be very happy.

I agree. The internal build differences are so vast, it's a poor comparison with the thx00.

Just get padauk, it's the sexy wood. :p

I dunno, that aged cherry Omni Zach posted was extremely beautiful. I don't think there is a bad option here. Personally though, I can't resist the red.

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #824 of 9,709
I just noticed a note about the wood finish ... stock is hand applied ... and the note mentions a more "factory" like smooth sprayed finish is also possible (if you send a note)

Any thoughts on this?

It's the difference between hand wiped varnish and spray lacquer.  Varnish brings out the color and grain and you can "feel" the wood more, lacquer builds on top of the wood more and doesn't penetrate as much and leaves a lighter color.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back