ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 23, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #7,366 of 9,716
So the atticus is darker than the eikon?

How do these both compare warmth wise to the Aeon Flow Closed

A: Yes, but not by a whole lot
B: Both are MUCH warmer than the AFC.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #7,367 of 9,716
Atticus has more of a midbass hump, and Eikon is better extended into the subbass regions.

I’d take either of them over the AFC, though admittedly it’s been a while since I tried it (so no fresh comparisons).
One of the things I noticed about AFC was lack of bass. SQ was really good but didn’t sense much width and height. With ZMF you get all those qualities. Maybe I didn’t have the AFC long enough for it to break in.

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #7,373 of 9,716
What are the Atticus/Eikon like compared to Ether C Flows warmth wise?
I should be getting an Atticus delivered in a week or so and can make a comment then. But I had the Ether C Flow and AFC at the same time and the Ether was similar sounding to the AFC but with better soundstage, more engaging presentation and deeper and more impressive bass (especially with the new pads). The AFC just did not compare; at half the cost, its not that surprising.

That being said...I take the Auteur over the Ether C Flow each and every time.

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #7,374 of 9,716
For me, the biggest advantage of the Atticus over the AFC is in macro-dynamics, i.e., punch and impact. Planars generally trail dynamics when it comes to actually some weight to the sound, and the AFC is not helped by the relatively small drivers (compared to many measuring over 100 mm). Switching from the Atticus, the AFC sounds 2D and compressed, despite its faster drivers it also sounds less realistic and natural than the Atticus, with less difference between loud and quiet sounds. On the other hand, the Atticus sounds a bit blurred from the very lowest bass to the low mids, losing some texture there. But, that is the advantage that planar drivers have, after all.

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #7,375 of 9,716
For me, the biggest advantage of the Atticus over the AFC is in macro-dynamics, i.e., punch and impact. Planars generally trail dynamics when it comes to actually some weight to the sound, and the AFC is not helped by the relatively small drivers (compared to many measuring over 100 mm). Switching from the Atticus, the AFC sounds 2D and compressed, despite its faster drivers it also sounds less realistic and natural than the Atticus, with less difference between loud and quiet sounds. On the other hand, the Atticus sounds a bit blurred from the very lowest bass to the low mids, losing some texture there. But, that is the advantage that planar drivers have, after all.
I just switched from an AFC as well - what Amp are you using/did you use for both?

Sep 23, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #7,378 of 9,716
I just switched from an AFC as well - what Amp are you using/did you use for both?

I still use both, since the AFC is much easier to take to work and more comfortable for long listening. I use the Benchmark HPA4 for both at home, and an iFi Micro iDSD Black Label when at work.

Sep 23, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #7,379 of 9,716
Sep 23, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #7,380 of 9,716
Tj the thing I worry about too is size. I see the atticus in your pic and they just look huuuuge :frowning2:
AFC is that much smaller the pics you see are little deceiving. The ZmF cans aren't big like audeze. The headband on afc sticks up and cups are elongated. Your best bet is try it through Amazon if you don't like them return them. That's what I did to test out a few cans I ended up with HE1000v2 which are bigger long wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back