ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 22, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #7,352 of 9,733
I got a nice looking camphor Eikon that I enjoy more than the Aeolus. Older is better.

Sep 22, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #7,354 of 9,733
Question for current Eikon owners. I'm considering picking up a used pair, as it becomes available, but do the smooth sliders predate the current models? I have a pair if Atticus and a pair of Auteurs, and both have the notched sliders. Do the smooth sliders stay in place while wearing the cans? Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #7,355 of 9,733
Have you compared the Eikon to Atticus?

I hear that the Atticus is better for electronic and Eikon for classical which makes me lean towards the former.

I guess I need to find a place to sample both.
I had Atticus and Eikon both at the same time for about 7 months. Atticus is more immediate. Couple rows back vs 10 rows back for Eikon.

I find mids and treble similar. Atticus is mid bass heavy and Eikon has a Special sub bass. I prefer Eikon for jazz and classical. And Atticus for everything else. Atticus does add color so you need to be ok with that.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #7,356 of 9,733
Question for current Eikon owners. I'm considering picking up a used pair, as it becomes available, but do the smooth sliders predate the current models? I have a pair if Atticus and a pair of Auteurs, and both have the notched sliders. Do the smooth sliders stay in place while wearing the cans? Thanks!
Metal rods are the old type. I had no problem with the metal rods. On my Eikon I did buy a new chassis with the newer rods just so it matched my other ZMF headphones. New chassis is $150.

Sep 22, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #7,357 of 9,733
Have you compared the Eikon to Atticus?

I hear that the Atticus is better for electronic and Eikon for classical which makes me lean towards the former.

I guess I need to find a place to sample both.
No I haven’t compared both, but I find EDM great on the Eikon as that’s 90% of what I listen too. I do use the bass boost on my amp when needed for electronic. I guess their alittle bass light. I’m okay with it.

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #7,359 of 9,733
The smooth sliders stay just fine when wearing. The horizontal pressure exerted on the rods when wearing is what locks them in place. I have an Atticus with them and they work great. Don't be alarmed if the feel super loose when just holding the set. Mine feel like they're greased, they have no tension and move freely. But as soon as they're on my head they don't budge.

Sep 22, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #7,360 of 9,733
The smooth sliders stay just fine when wearing. The horizontal pressure exerted on the rods when wearing is what locks them in place. I have an Atticus with them and they work great. Don't be alarmed if the feel super loose when just holding the set. Mine feel like they're greased, they have no tension and move freely. But as soon as they're on my head they don't budge.
Thanks for the info. :)

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #7,361 of 9,733
image.jpg The Eikon Camphor, does lack bass that the Atticus would give you but the upper register sounds amazing guess I’ll have to use my ifi pro Icans bass boost feature.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #7,363 of 9,733
So the atticus is darker than the eikon?

How do these both compare warmth wise to the Aeon Flow Closed

Atticus has more of a midbass hump, and Eikon is better extended into the subbass regions.

I’d take either of them over the AFC, though admittedly it’s been a while since I tried it (so no fresh comparisons).

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #7,364 of 9,733
So the atticus is darker than the eikon?

How do these both compare warmth wise to the Aeon Flow Closed
yes the Atticus is darker than the Eikon by a fair amount. I’d equate it to the HD650 (Atticus) vs HD600 (Eikon). The Atticus has more mid bass slam, with a softer decay, and more resonance. It’s thicker sounding and very non fatiguing. The Eikon is more neutral in comparison, with less mid bass but more sub bass. Highs have more extension. Both are considerably warmer than the afc. The Atticus imo is a super HD650, it does everything the 650 does but better.

Sep 23, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #7,365 of 9,733
I fancied it up a bit...was always jelous of those headphones that came in a satin lined box...so I lined the box with satin.

Questions:
  1. When I close the box i have to smush it a bit..i.e. presumably the pads are getting a bit smushed/pressed down in the closed box, not by much, that should be ok right?
  2. Ok where can i get a box like this? This is SOLID construction amazing wood - I would VERY MUCH like to buy this exact box but an empty one...
Days in black satin...
Never reaching the end..
ZMF headphones
are my ears' best friend.

Beauty that can't be missed
Sweet wood types galore
Just with the Atticus...
I want to listen some more

'Cause I love you
Yes I love you
Oooh HO-woahhh I love you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread