ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 16, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #7,007 of 9,721
Some more cellphone pics since I can't seem to find my DSLR:
9YD1U3t.jpg
I truly can't get over how beautiful these are! They look different from every angle and the black limba seems to almost glow when light hits the white grain in a certain way. Also, you guys weren't kidding about the Atticus sounding different from every amp! When i switched to the MCTH (with LPS and 6c8G tube) I noticed an immediate change to soundstage, bass heft and overall headphone speed. They really feel like they're singing to me sometimes! They're quite the experience! :)

Will return later this week or next week with more impressions once I've had more time with them; but for now I can say this: Anyone who's ever had an HD650 but felt the sound didn't have enough "meat" and was annoyed that the whole sound seemed to almost meld together should really check out the Atticus!

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #7,008 of 9,721
Atty arrives tomorrow. Can’t wait to give you guys my impressions, both as a (fledgling) audiophile and as a folk musician. I will be using the Atticus as studio monitors for my Clarett 2 Pre USB with my Blue Blueberry and AKG C451B mics. Zach told me the cast of The Lion King uses Atty’s for similar purposes, so I’m super excited to hear my voice and instruments through headphones that really match my music sensibilities. Old time music is all about warmth!

Apr 18, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #7,009 of 9,721
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 18, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #7,010 of 9,721
Apr 18, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #7,011 of 9,721
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #7,012 of 9,721
To busy listening to give through impressions atm. But for now, I'll pass on my feedback to Zach for any other potential buyers wondering about the sound:

"Just wanted to send a quick note to say how thoroughly impressed I am by the cans. Every element, from fit to finish, has clearly been chosen and crafted with care. The sound is exactly what I’d hope for—lush, detailed, and uncannily engaging. The best compliment I can give is that I have ADD and usually lose interest in a song before it’s over; when listening with the Atticus, I find myself staying ’til the end, just to see what I might miss."

Also, the cups . . . man. The camphor on each side has really different aesthetics, and it's almost like I got two woods for the price of one. Just unreal. More to come.

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #7,013 of 9,721
Here we go. Gonna get a little technical, but I guess this is the place for that.

Why does this headphone have such a unique sound? I have a few theories . . .

FIrst, let's talk about the driver. Actually, let’s start with flatpicking, and why I always choose a plastic flatpick over polymerized animal protein (or traditionally tortoise shell). For a long time, all the best flatpickers swore by tortoise shell, and Tony Rice uses a tortoise flatpick to this day. And I can understand why. Animal protein picks have a glassy quality with very fast attack. But in my experience, the use of a harder pick on an acoustic instrument (whether protein picks on guitars or metal fingerpicks on banjos) robs the instruments of some of their round, woody sound that has made them a staple in so many types of music. When I play my acoustic guitar with a plastic pick, there is some kind of magic synergy between the wooden instrument, the metal strings, and the synthetic flatpick. I have extensively tested friends’ protein picks, and they always seem to rob the guitar of some of its warmth.

I think something similar is happening with the Atticus. I think the plastic nature of the TPE driver blunts the edge of the dynamics just enough to provide a much more organic presentation of the sound than any driver I’ve ever heard. Consider the fact that when bands record in a studio digitally, they often mix to tape, so the tracks bleed together. This distortion, this lack of clarity, actually improves the timbre of the music and makes it more digestible to the human ear, in a similar way tubes color the sound of amplifiers. Basically what I’m saying is the way we hear music in real life is not super holographic—it’s actually much closer to rolled-off. If you listen to a band in a bar, the ambient sounds of the venue mute the leading edge transients and allow the mid bass much greater emphasis. This is why the Atticus to me reproduces acoustic music more accurately and pleasantly than any other form of music reproduction I’ve experienced. The only thing better is being there live.

Let’s consider some tracks. The first song I listened to on the Atticus was “Steam Powered Aereo Plane” by John Hartford. Besides being one of the most brilliant bluegrass songs ever written, this track is particularly interesting to me because of certain production/engineering choices. Although the band John was using at the time featured John Holland (who played with Charlie Parker) on bass, through any set of cans I’ve ever used before the Atty, the bass is just too low. So low that I have avoided listening to the song through headphones for years, because every time the song really kicks and Holland’s bass comes thundering in, well, through headphones, it just didn’t thunder. Enter the Atticus. Man, this is the way this track is supposed to sound! This is how it would feel if you were hearing these guys live, with the bass controlling the rhythm and thus, in many ways, the entire unfolding of the song.

Next I listened to Colter Wall, a young Canadian country singer who is the heir to the throne left vacant by the likes of Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings. Listen to the song “Plain To See Plainsman” from Colter’s most recent album through the Atticus and tell me if you’ve ever heard a male voice sound better, richer, or more alive. Sorry Tyll, but I definltely don’t agree that voices through the Atticus sound “artificial and obviously reproduced.” No no no no no. This is just wrong.

Finally, if you really want proof that the Atticus is the best set of cans for acoustic music on the planet, listen to “Deep River Blues” by Doc Watson from his first, self-titled album on Vanguard. I played in a band with a dude who owned a gorgeous vintage Martin D-18. I spent a lot of time playing, pawning over, and protecting that guitar. I recorded with it and on it, and I know it’s sound like I know the timbre of my father’s voice. When I heard “Deep River Blues” through the Atticus, it sounded like Doc was in the room with me, playing that gorgeous D-18 that they lent him for those early records (man I wish he hadn’t switched to Gallaghers). I don’t know if it’s the fact that the cans have wooden cups, or the way they are tuned, or maybe both and more, but they recreated the experience of what you hear when you play a D-18 flawlessly. Impeccably. Unbelievably. It almost felt like I was the one fingerpicking.

Ok. Thanks to anyone who read through this diatribe. I’ve just been so blown away by these headphones, I had to put my thoughts to paper. Next step is to try them as studio monitors. I hope my voice sounds half as good as Doc’s did when I listen to my recordings!

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #7,014 of 9,721
Here we go. Gonna get a little technical, but I guess this is the place for that.

FIrst, let's talk about the driver. Actually, let’s start with flatpicking, and why I always choose a plastic flatpick over polymerized animal protein (or traditionally tortoise shell). For a long time, all the best flatpickers swore by tortoise shell, and Tony Rice uses a tortoise flatpick to this day. And I can understand why. Animal protein picks have a glassy quality with very fast attack. But in my experience, the use of a harder pick on an acoustic instrument (whether protein picks on guitars or metal fingerpicks on banjos) robs the instruments of some of their round, woody sound that has made them a staple in so many types of music. When I play my acoustic guitar with a plastic pick, there is some kind of magic synergy between the wooden instrument, the metal strings, and the synthetic flatpick. I have extensively tested friends’ protein picks, and they always seem to rob the guitar of some of its warmth.

I think something similar is happening with the Atticus. I think the plastic nature of the TPE driver blunts the edge of the dynamics just enough to provide a much more organic presentation of the sound than any driver I’ve ever heard. Consider the fact that when bands record in a studio digitally, they often mix to tape, so the tracks bleed together. This distortion, this lack of clarity, actually improves the timbre of the music and makes it more digestible to the human ear, in a similar way tubes color the sound of amplifiers. Basically what I’m saying is the way we hear music in real life is not super holographic—it’s actually much closer to rolled-off. If you listen to a band in a bar, the ambient sounds of the venue mute the leading edge transients and allow the mid bass much greater emphasis. This is why the Atticus to me reproduces acoustic music more accurately and pleasantly than any other form of music reproduction I’ve experienced. The only thing better is being there live.

Let’s consider some tracks. The first song I listened to on the Atticus was “Steam Powered Aereo Plane” by John Hartford. Besides being one of the most brilliant bluegrass songs ever written, this track is particularly interesting to me because of certain production/engineering choices. Although the band John was using at the time featured John Holland (who played with Charlie Parker) on bass, through any set of cans I’ve ever used before the Atty, the bass is just too low. So low that I have avoided listening to the song through headphones for years, because every time the song really kicks and Holland’s bass comes thundering in, well, through headphones, it just didn’t thunder. Enter the Atticus. Man, this is the way this track is supposed to sound! This is how it would feel if you were hearing these guys live, with the bass controlling the rhythm and thus, in many ways, the entire unfolding of the song.

Next I listened to Colter Wall, a young Canadian country singer who is the heir to the throne left vacant by the likes of Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings. Listen to the song “Plain To See Plainsman” from Colter’s most recent album through the Atticus and tell me if you’ve ever heard a male voice sound better, richer, or more alive. Sorry Tyll, but I definltely don’t agree that voices through the Atticus sound “artificial and obviously reproduced.” No no no no no. This is just wrong.

Finally, if you really want proof that the Atticus is the best set of cans for acoustic music on the planet, listen to “Deep River Blues” by Doc Watson from his first, self-titled album on Vanguard. I played in a band with a dude who owned a gorgeous vintage Martin D-18. I spent a lot of time playing, pawning over, and protecting that guitar. I recorded with it and on it, and I know it’s sound like I know the timbre of my father’s voice. When I heard “Deep River Blues” through the Atticus, it sounded like Doc was in the room with me, playing that gorgeous D-18 that they lent him for those early records (man I wish he hadn’t switched to Gallaghers). I don’t know if it’s the fact that the cans have wooden cups, or the way they are tuned, or maybe both and more, but they recreated the experience of what you hear when you play a D-18 flawlessly. Impeccably. Unbelievably. It almost felt like I was the one fingerpicking.

Ok. Thanks to anyone who read through this diatribe. I’ve just been so blown away by these headphones, I had to put my thoughts to paper. Next step is to try them as studio monitors. I hope my voice sounds half as good as Doc’s did when I listen to my recordings!

So... What you're saying is, you play acoustic guitar?

(JK)

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #7,015 of 9,721

Beautifully written, this “acoustic music excellence,” is a trait of every ZMF I’ve heard, though it’s a quality not everyone will understand.

Apr 20, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #7,016 of 9,721
Beautifully written, this “acoustic music excellence,” is a trait of every ZMF I’ve heard, though it’s a quality not everyone will understand.

That’s the only problem. Now I’m dying to hear “Ripple” through an Auteur and “Cazadero” through a Verite.

Apr 22, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #7,017 of 9,721
That’s the only problem. Now I’m dying to hear “Ripple” through an Auteur and “Cazadero” through a Verite.

Check out some of Howe Gelb’s new stuff, country hippie meets jazz!

Apr 22, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #7,020 of 9,721
Wish I can stain the wood with black stain.@zach915m. Any idea how I might be able to do that ?
To do it properly, you would have to strip the varnish (not easy or fun), sand it smooth, dye it, sand it, dye it again, sand it, seal it, sand it, seal it again, sand it, stain it, sand it, varnish it, sand it, varnish it, sand it, and put on a final coat of varnish.

By the way, you need 24 hours between each varnish application so it sets properly, and a full week for the final coat to cure.

Also, be careful not to deform the cups with all that sanding.

:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back