ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 12, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #6,991 of 9,711
I think given the highly subjective nature of audio, what's most important is finding the base sound signature that works best for you, and just rolling with it for everything. I have a few headphones that I used to use for certain genres only, ex hd800 for classical. But I find myself doing that less and less and just enjoying my favorite base signature, which is dark, regardless of what I'm listening to. So I pull the Atticus 75% of the time, the hd650 24% of the time, and the hd800 1%. I don't feel like I'm missing out when using the Atticus for classical, quite the opposite. I find it's engaging nature more fun for it. A Night on Bald Mountain on the Atticus is a bombastic treat. On the hd800 it's a bit clinical and uninspiring. Sure I'll pick up a few subtle cues on the 800 that get lost on the Atticus, but that loss doesn't reduce my overall enjoyment of the music at all.

PS I personally love the Atticus for metal :)

If you want to retire the 650, take a listen to the Aeolus with the Suede Universal Pads, heck, with the Stock Pads, mine are hitting the f/s thread.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #6,992 of 9,711
Interesting discussion here. I mainly listen to metal so was intrigued by that review. The thing is, not only are there so many subtypes of metal (raspy black metal vocals are nothing like deathcore growls, for example), but also audio is just so subjective.

For example, I love closed back cans with a healthy amount of bass - Momentum 2 and B&W P7 are a few of my favorites. I read around extensively last year for some closed backs that could take a balanced input, and finally picked up some Meze 99 classics... only to find I didn’t really like them :frowning2: So yes, a well-loved can but one that didn’t really tick the boxes for me (but did have it’s good aspects).

Similarly, I just sold an A&K SR15 after owning it for a month or so, way too bright for my tastes. Which made me wonder - why did none of the reviews I read mention the quite high tuning of this DAP? I don’t think my hearing of the 99 classics or SR15 is “correct” and others wrong, it’s just that same old problem of everyone hearing different things.

Anyway, I’m following this thread as I’m currently ummming and ahhhing between Atticus and Eikon - like so many others. But I’m in New Zealand so will just have to take a dive as I can’t really hear cans in person before buying. Sounds like the Eikon is the safer bet, as I don’t want to have to worry about mixing and matching amps.

I mainly listen to metal, loved the Momentum 2s and P7s, but didn’t like the 99 classics. Didn’t like the HD6XXs, but found the HD58X better (and still have one). I’ll probably be using a Cowon Plenue P2 mk II and xCAN as my sources for the foreseeable future, maybe buying a solid state desktop like the Klipsch headphone amp further down the line.

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #6,993 of 9,711
If you want to retire the 650, take a listen to the Aeolus with the Suede Universal Pads, heck, with the Stock Pads, mine are hitting the f/s thread.
I think retiring the hd650 is impossible, I'm on my 4th set and every time I let it go I immediately regret it and repurchase. I swear in another life I sold my soul to Sennheiser.....

Is the aeolus different enough from the Atticus to warrant owning both?

Apr 12, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #6,994 of 9,711
let us know how the different models sound! i'm really looking at their echo, its supposed to be great with the hd650, so it's on my demo list for sure.

Spent 2 hours demoing the Atticus with the Feliks Echo and Elise. A full report coming in the next few days. :)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #6,996 of 9,711
Personally I don't think anything can retire the HD650. Resolution is about the same on the Chinese Atticus driver and German driver. The more closed in nature of the Aeolus gives them the perception of being more impactful though so they can sound more fun.

Those germans know how to engineer a driver. I feel the HD650 is let down in the bass area though which can make people forget it's totl status.

Apr 13, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #6,997 of 9,711

This is the same way that I felt when I heard the Atticus.

I have owned the HD650 on three different occasions and I love it, it is a headphone that just hits the sweet spot for me.
How ever once I got the Atticus, i moved on because everything about the bass was better by a nice margin in my opinion, i have never looked back.

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #6,998 of 9,711
Excited to hear it! Seriously considering Feliks for my Atty.

Plus I have some Polish ancestry. Always nice to support the motherland.

Review of Feliks Echo and Elise with ZMF Atticus Headphones

Equipment: PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Feliks Echo and Feliks Elise amps > ZMF Atticus headphones

Source: TIDAL

Music: Pretzel Logic (Steely Dan), Side Effects (White Denim), The Fat of the Land (Prodigy), The Clash (The Clash), When Your Heartstrings Break (Beulah)

Introduction: I purchased my Atticus headphones after a demo with the Feliks Euphoria amp and upon returning home for use with my Schiit Mojlnir 2 was disappointed with the “synergy” between the two. Not as dynamic, detailed or “fun” as with the Feliks amplifier, so I decided to make a return trip to demo the less expensive Echo and Elise OTL models at the Upscale Audio which is the North American dealer/distributor for Feliks amplifiers.

Impressions: I demoed both models for 2 hours using an A-B switch to move back and forth between the two. The entry level Feliks Echo ($679) and higher priced Elise ($1,699), as I was soon to discover, have very different sound profiles. The Elise was tame, polite, detailed and smooth; the Echo aggressive and punchy. The Elise had a more velvet mid-range and vocals and had a more extended top end. The Echo had a punchy, bass signature. I was more detached from the music with the Elise and more engaged with Echo. My wife was with me and listened to both models. She immediately liked the “politeness” of the Elise more than the Echo. I wanted to like the more expensive Elise and she gave me the “green light” and encouraged me to get the Elise. I continued to listen back and forth between both looking for every possible reason and excuse to get the Elise. Wonderful clarity, great vocals and smooth as silk, but … also somewhat musically detached. It captured my head. The Echo, even with its warts and bumps, was musically engaging. It captured my heart. The Elise was more “sound” perfect and the Echo more fun. I wanted to buy the Elise, but I wanted to listen to the Echo.

Conclusion: The choice between the two comes down (in my opinion) to personal sound profile preference and type of music. The Elise is the more polite and detailed amp that will appeal to those looking for that perfect sound and who lean toward classical, jazz and acoustic music. The Echo is the more aggressive and engaging amp and more suited to rock music. I’m in the latter group, so yes, I had to follow my heart and not my head and buy the Echo. Do I still think about the Elise? Yes. Am I glad I bought the Echo? Yes. Like with many audiophile products (if you take the $$$ out of the equation), it really depends on your personal sound preferences, musical tastes and which equipment matches those requirements. You can’t go wrong with either the Elise or Echo with the Atticus. Just pick the one that best synchronizes with your musical and audio personality.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #6,999 of 9,711

Equipment: PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Feliks Echo and Feliks Elise amps > ZMF Atticus headphones

Music: Pretzel Logic (Steely Dan), Side Effects (White Denim), The Fat of the Land (Prodigy), The Clash (The Clash), When Your Heartstrings Break (Beulah)

Introduction: I purchased my Atticus headphones after a demo with the Feliks Euphoria amp and upon returning home for use with my Schiit Mojlnir 2 was disappointed with the “synergy” between the two. Not as dynamic, detailed or “fun” as with the Feliks amplifier, so I decided to make a return trip to demo the less expensive Echo and Elise OTL models at the Upscale Audio which is the North American dealer/distributor for Feliks amplifiers.

Impressions: I demoed both models for 2 hours using an A-B switch to move back and forth between the two. The entry level Feliks Echo ($679) and higher priced Elise ($1,699), as I was soon to discover, have very different sound profiles. The Elise was tame, polite, detailed and smooth; the Echo aggressive and punchy. The Elise had a more velvet mid-range and vocals and had a more extended top end. The Echo had a punchy, bass signature. I was more detached from the music with the Elise and more engaged with Echo. My wife was with me and listened to both models. She immediately liked the “politeness” of the Elise more than the Echo. I wanted to like the more expensive Elise and she gave me the “green light” and encouraged me to get the Elise. I continued to listen back and forth between both looking for every possible reason and excuse to get the Elise. Wonderful clarity, great vocals and smooth as silk, but … also somewhat musically detached. It captured my head. The Echo, even with its warts and bumps, was musically engaging. It captured my heart. The Elise was more “sound” perfect and the Echo more fun. I wanted to buy the Elise, but I wanted to listen to the Echo.

Conclusion: The choice between the two comes down (in my opinion) to personal sound profile preference and type of music. The Elise is the more polite and detailed amp that will appeal to those looking for that perfect sound and who lean toward classical, jazz and acoustic music. The Echo is the more aggressive and engaging amp and more suited to rock music. I’m in the latter group, so yes, I had to follow my heart and not my head and buy the Echo. Do I still think about the Elise? Yes. Am I glad I bought the Echo? Yes. Like with many audiophile products (if you take the $$$ out of the equation), it really depends on your personal sound preferences, musical tastes and which equipment matches those requirements. You can’t go wrong with either the Elise or Echo with the Atticus. Just pick the one that best synchronizes with your musical and audio personality.

Nice review. Any reason you didn't demo the Expressivo? I'm looking at that one or the Elise myself.

Apr 13, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #7,000 of 9,711

Good for you for buying the amp that sounded best to your liking. More expensive does not necessarily mean a better sound for someone's preferences.
Consider it a win/win. You like it and it was cheaper. :relaxed:

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #7,001 of 9,711
Nice review. Any reason you didn't demo the Expressivo? I'm looking at that one or the Elise myself.

I didn't look at the Expressivo because it seemed to me that its extra cost was for its flexibility as a pre-amp with multiple RCA outputs. Also, I didn't want to try an incremental step, but go from the Echo to the Elise which is a less expensive version of their flagship Euphoria. I'm very happy that I went with the Echo because it fits my sound profile and style of music better than the Elise.

Apr 13, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #7,002 of 9,711
Good for you for buying the amp that sounded best to your liking. More expensive does not necessarily mean a better sound for someone's preferences.
Consider it a win/win. You like it and it was cheaper. :relaxed:

Thanks. It's very easy to let your head do the talking and convince you that more expensive is better. I've learned the hard way and through experience that it's not always the case. I had the same experience with the Focal Utopia headphones. Many reviews branding it the world's best, $4k price, etc. I bought them with the opportunity to return. Listened for 30 minutes, repacked them and put 'em in the mail. Did.Not.Like. Great build, looked beautiful, wonderful reviews, very expensive .. but no "juice" or musical engagement for me.

Apr 15, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #7,003 of 9,711
7551-E3-F2-7132-4-ABE-9-BCA-A9-F35-C28285-E.jpg
My Black Limba Atticus just arrived!! They look and sound amazing out of the jds labs atom + Dragonfly Red (as a DAC)!! One thing I’m finding with the atom amp is that they far prefer being driven in high-gain. Can’t wait to test them with my CTH at home too!

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #7,005 of 9,711
pictures please! :)
Edited my last post to include a quick iphone pic! Will post more when I get home. It's hard to capture how nice these look in person with a camera!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back