ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 11, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #6,976 of 9,716
I used to own the Atticus and really liked it for metal.

Apr 11, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #6,977 of 9,716
let us know how the different models sound! i'm really looking at their echo, its supposed to be great with the hd650, so it's on my demo list for sure.
Will do.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #6,978 of 9,716
Hey one thing I think would be helpful for the amp pairing discussion is indicating what kind of music you listen to (at least to some degree we all have preferences).

There is a really negative Aeolus review on Reddit from a metalheads perspective that got me thinking about this issue. I listen to mostly folk music, so I know the warmth of Atticus is what I want. But if I listened to metal, I would probably have to have a high tolerance for treble, and for that budget would have gone with the Anandas.
I listen to metal. What's wrong with the Aeolus for metal? Admittedly, It's a little better for Blues, but still.

Also, /r/headphones is the rotten, smelly, festering sphincter of the audio hobby community. Which is to say, it's almost as bad as ASR. So take what you read there with a truckload of salt.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #6,979 of 9,716
I listen to metal. What's wrong with the Aeolus for metal? Admittedly, It's a little better for Blues, but still.

Also, /r/headphones is the rotten, smelly, festering sphincter of the audio hobby community. Which is to say, it's almost as bad as ASR. So take what you read there with a truckload of salt.

I believe he's referring to the review posted by Spittiz... who is the same poster who previously posted in the Aeolus thread on this forum talking about how he thought it sounded muffled.

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #6,980 of 9,716
I believe he's referring to the review posted by Spittiz... who is the same poster who previously posted in the Aeolus thread on this forum talking about how he thought it sounded muffled.
Thanks for the link.

I stand by my statements.

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #6,981 of 9,716
Also - if anyone owns a set in the Milwaukee area and I could steal a 15-minute demo, pleeeeeeease let me know.

We're in Chicago and take visitors, we're basically open for visitors any weekday between 10am and noon and saturdays until 2 PM. Send me an email or PM, I'll make you a coffee even. :beyersmile:

Hey one thing I think would be helpful for the amp pairing discussion is indicating what kind of music you listen to (at least to some degree we all have preferences).

There is a really negative Aeolus review on Reddit from a metalheads perspective that got me thinking about this issue. I listen to mostly folk music, so I know the warmth of Atticus is what I want. But if I listened to metal, I would probably have to have a high tolerance for treble, and for that budget would have gone with the Anandas.

For anyone who really wants to figure out which of our headphones will work for them please email us, I really try my best to be as helpful as possible depending your setup and tastes etc etc and I like to think I do a pretty good job. In the case of this user I wasn't able to hear their set-up and tastes ahead of time as they bought from our German dealer and before I was able to reach out they had returned the headphone. If I had heard he used low impedance solid state amps with not a ton of power at 300 ohms, with a taste for the HD650, I would've pushed for the suede universe pads on the aeolus or the auteur, to bring the mids forward with that low impedance amp.

I also take responsibility as someone who tries to make each headphone take on multiple personalities with different pad options, which I know can be daunting. We will try to add info for each headphone on the site to further clarify this area of ZMF.
It's certainly a good thing that our brand has increased it's reach to Europe and beyond and that more people are able to hear our headphones, but even if buying from one of our dealers feel free to reach out so we can help dial in what ZMF is best for your preferences. :)

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 11, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #6,982 of 9,716
Just a quick note - we have a number of Atticus and Eikons that are done, and will ship early next week as we have Axpona audio expo tomorrow through the weekend.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 12, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #6,983 of 9,716
Just a quick note - we have a number of Atticus and Eikons that are done, and will ship early next week as we have Axpona audio expo tomorrow through the weekend.

Oh man oh man oh man . . .

Also Zach I liked your response on the infamous other site re metalhead . . . Yea, you know you’re big-time when you’re getting called overrated!

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #6,984 of 9,716
Apr 12, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #6,985 of 9,716
We're in Chicago and take visitors, we're basically open for visitors any weekday between 10am and noon and saturdays until 2 PM. Send me an email or PM, I'll make you a coffee even. :beyersmile:

Yussssss! I'll throw you a message when I return from my work trip next week. I'd love to bring my own source / amplification along to see if your cans will pair with my existing equipment (if that sort of thing is allowed...) - maybe do an A/B comparison between my Primes and your closed backs?

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #6,988 of 9,716

I think given the highly subjective nature of audio, what's most important is finding the base sound signature that works best for you, and just rolling with it for everything. I have a few headphones that I used to use for certain genres only, ex hd800 for classical. But I find myself doing that less and less and just enjoying my favorite base signature, which is dark, regardless of what I'm listening to. So I pull the Atticus 75% of the time, the hd650 24% of the time, and the hd800 1%. I don't feel like I'm missing out when using the Atticus for classical, quite the opposite. I find it's engaging nature more fun for it. A Night on Bald Mountain on the Atticus is a bombastic treat. On the hd800 it's a bit clinical and uninspiring. Sure I'll pick up a few subtle cues on the 800 that get lost on the Atticus, but that loss doesn't reduce my overall enjoyment of the music at all.

PS I personally love the Atticus for metal :)

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #6,989 of 9,716

For anyone who really wants to figure out which of our headphones will work for them please email us, I really try my best to be as helpful as possible depending your setup and tastes etc etc and I like to think I do a pretty good job. In the case of this user I wasn't able to hear their set-up and tastes ahead of time as they bought from our German dealer and before I was able to reach out they had returned the headphone. If I had heard he used low impedance solid state amps with not a ton of power at 300 ohms, with a taste for the HD650, I would've pushed for the suede universe pads on the aeolus or the auteur, to bring the mids forward with that low impedance amp.

I also take responsibility as someone who tries to make each headphone take on multiple personalities with different pad options, which I know can be daunting. We will try to add info for each headphone on the site to further clarify this area of ZMF.
It's certainly a good thing that our brand has increased it's reach to Europe and beyond and that more people are able to hear our headphones, but even if buying from one of our dealers feel free to reach out so we can help dial in what ZMF is best for your preferences. :)
This is why you're one of the best in the business. Please don't ever stop being so good to us, it's what separates you from the pack, even more than your awesome sounding headphones.

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #6,990 of 9,716
The Aeolus (and Atticus) are not what I would call muffled or veiled and are some of the best headphones I've used for metal. I use an OTL amp on high gain which is about 20ohm OI though. I tried them both on cheaper SS gear and got good results though. The Suede Eikon pads on the Atticus are fantastic if your looking for a more forward and neutral sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back