ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 6, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #5,342 of 9,763
I have been eyeing an MHDT Labs DAC for some time. Out of their line up I think there are two under the thousand dollar mark. But desk space is at a premium so I may have to build a shelf to house it.

Desk space is at a premium for me also...I bought a very nice acrylic monitor stand from amazon for like $30, it will support 80 lbs.
It worked out great and saved me much space...i highly can recommend this stand.

DSC00534.JPG

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #5,343 of 9,763
One thing to consider is what someone calls a "huge" difference might be a "slight" difference to you since we all have a different scale.

@gLer , agree with you that knowing the genre of music is important but its also important to know how loud a person listens when commenting on amp/headphone pairings
That is very true. If you’re only listening at low volume then your requirements are very different to someone who wants to listen to louder music and on occasion really loud music - health considerations nonwithstanding. A headphone like Atticus really comes in to its own at higher volume, so you’ll need a good amp and decently mastered files to get it there optimally.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #5,344 of 9,763
That is very true. If you’re only listening at low volume then your requirements are very different to someone who wants to listen to louder music and on occasion really loud music - health considerations nonwithstanding. A headphone like Atticus really comes in to its own at higher volume, so you’ll need a good amp and decently mastered files to get it there optimally.

What's your listening volume? I just checked using decibel X smartphone app. my listening volume is between 78db-83db.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #5,345 of 9,763
What's your listening volume? I just checked using decibel X smartphone app. my listening volume is between 78db-83db.
I’d say about the same (closer to 83 than 78, which I consider quite low), but I have been known to go as high as 90-95 for really good songs. Not for full albums though. Once in a while I’d go over 100 for very short bursts, just because the R2R with the Atticus (and LCD) make it so easy to go there. I’d say 12 o’clock in high gain on the Atticus is already 100+ with modern (compressed) music.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #5,347 of 9,763
I'm not a big fan of the Atticus with the R2R 11. I'm only listening to Prog-Metal music and to my ears and for my taste the Atticus sounds a little bit dull out of the R2R 11.

Call me crazy but in my opinion the Atticus sound much better with the Mojo than with the R2R 11.

I too find the R2R-11 not the best solution for the Atticus.Of the three amping options I currently have on my desk the R2R-11 has the least amount of slam and aggression.To my ears its just too warm when im listening to older recordings e.g. blues,classic rock,NWOBHM...pretty much 90% of what I listen to.

In my attempt to find a great amp for the Atticus I ended up ordering a Monster Eleven Glenn amp(AKA M.E.G.A.) I will have Hansotek on speed dial so he can try and prevent me from blowing up my house. :)

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #5,348 of 9,763
I’d say about the same (closer to 83 than 78, which I consider quite low), but I have been known to go as high as 90-95 for really good songs. Not for full albums though. Once in a while I’d go over 100 for very short bursts, just because the R2R with the Atticus (and LCD) make it so easy to go there. I’d say 12 o’clock in high gain on the Atticus is already 100+ with modern (compressed) music.

holy 100db!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #5,349 of 9,763
I too find the R2R-11 not the best solution for the Atticus.Of the three amping options I currently have on my desk the R2R-11 has the least amount of slam and aggression.To my ears its just too warm when im listening to older recordings e.g. blues,classic rock,NWOBHM...pretty much 90% of what I listen to.

In my attempt to find a great amp for the Atticus I ended up ordering a Monster Eleven Glenn amp(AKA M.E.G.A.) I will have Hansotek on speed dial so he can try and prevent me from blowing up my house. :)

The Atticus almost sound like the NightHawk when I'm using them with the R2R 11 lol. Ok I'm exaggerating a little bit but the sound is way too 'soft' for my tastes with the R2R 11.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #5,350 of 9,763
The Atticus almost sound like the NightHawk when I'm using them with the R2R 11 lol. Ok I'm exaggerating a little bit but the sound is way too 'soft' for my tastes with the R2R 11.
Strange how we hear it completely differently. It’s almost as if we’re talking about totally different gear. The R2R takes my Atticus as close to Fostex TH-X00!slam as I can recall. In fact until I got the R2R I was really starting to regret selling my Fostex and getting the Atticus, but no longer. I’ve got my slam back, asking with all the other amazing clarity, detail and warmth the Atticus does better than almost any other closed headphone I’ve heard. I’m almost preferring the Atticus on the R2R than through the Woo WA3, which I specifically bought for it. If I want slam, I go straight to the R2R; if I want smooth, I hook up the Woo.

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #5,351 of 9,763
holy 100db!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only for very short bursts and not very often, but both Atticus and LCD can go much higher than that without breaking a sweat or even hinting at distortion. You have to have the right sources to get them there however, including well mastered files.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #5,352 of 9,763
Strange how we hear it completely differently. It’s almost as if we’re talking about totally different gear. The R2R takes my Atticus as close to Fostex TH-X00!slam as I can recall. In fact until I got the R2R I was really starting to regret selling my Fostex and getting the Atticus, but no longer. I’ve got my slam back, asking with all the other amazing clarity, detail and warmth the Atticus does better than almost any other closed headphone I’ve heard. I’m almost preferring the Atticus on the R2R than through the Woo WA3, which I specifically bought for it. If I want slam, I go straight to the R2R; if I want smooth, I hook up the Woo.

I'm not complaining too much about the slam but more about the sound of the electric guitars that is too much "polite" for my tastes. I will open up the casing this evening to validate that the "warm" jumper is not installed.

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #5,353 of 9,763
Have you not used the r2r as dac only ?

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #5,355 of 9,763
From my 3 month journey, so far ive found it amazing the difference i hear between all my cans From my rbh hp2 with crazy bass response to my eikons which sound bliss. Hp2<hd650<AFO<he560(comes today)<lcd2c<eikon
Through a sonica smsl m8 cma600i
My amps being cayin iha6 la Figaro 339 (tube) using balanced and SE.

It's been a trip, I've spent 4k dollars in a span a little over 2 months for the pursuit. Ill be attending canjam NYC to further expand my horizon(i hope not). I can't imagine selling my eikon they're the best closed hps ive ever listened to id go as far as to call them the best neutral sounding cans period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back