ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 2, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #4,486 of 9,743
Those Auteur photos sure look nice. I definitely want to get a pair. @zach915m a couple of questions (sorry for not waiting for the FAQ): Is there a roadmap of which different woods you'll be offering for the Limited Edition runs? I'd personally be interested in a "tiger stripe" Bocote version. Also, will we ever see any Massdrop versions?

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #4,487 of 9,743
Unfortunately this isn't possible for us, the design is completely new, so it would require a complete disassembly and complete reassembly which would take more time than just building one headphone. As an aside, the Eikon and Atticus are absolutely fantastic, and being closed they suit different needs and I wouldn't consider the Auteur always better, it just depends on your subjective tastes and needs.

We are starting the pre-order on November 10th at 10am CST USA. If I messed up the countdown timer let me know! You'll also be able to preorder from our dealers, Hivemind Cables in Canada, and Zeppelin and Co. in Singapore.

I screwed up and got a bunch of woods to try but not teak for the Auteur. I then made myself an Eikon out of Teak (there's only one and it's MINE!) and realized how fantastic a wood it is. So at RMAF we will have a few different wood version of the Auteur but no Teak. We're machining the Teak cups right now and will have pics by mid october on the site. It's a fabulous wood.

Looking forward to hear them at RMAF!

Oct 2, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #4,488 of 9,743
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #4,489 of 9,743
Those Auteur photos sure look nice. I definitely want to get a pair. @zach915m a couple of questions (sorry for not waiting for the FAQ): Is there a roadmap of which different woods you'll be offering for the Limited Edition runs? I'd personally be interested in a "tiger stripe" Bocote version. Also, will we ever see any Massdrop versions?

Yes! I will try to plan the limited "runs" 2-3 runs ahead letting people know what's coming. I am just going to start new runs when the last one sells out, so there won't be specific dates for each.

I tried a couple Bocote sets recently for the Eikon/Atticus, unfortunately our supplier only had wood that was a "touch" wetter than I would have liked so the cups are a tiny bit egg shaped. It's pretty normal for exotic woods to have this, and nothing wrong with it, but if we're going to use Bocote again I need to find a new source. It wouldn't work for the Auteur to use slightly wetter wood because the grille needs to be fit so exact and we can't have much wood shrinkage.

Looking forward to hear them at RMAF!

See you there!

Mmhmmm....thats what im talking about!

@monsterzero got one of the two bocote sets we've made. I don't often have other woods around that we don't use as inventory, but he hit me up about it at the right time and ended up with one.

We will be extending our limited runs to the Eikon and Atticus at some point, but at this very second I want to concentrate on a smooth Auteur release.

-------------

On a side note, do you guys want a new thread just for the Auteur or should we keep everything in here? I have no idea what site rules are pertaining to this etc.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #4,490 of 9,743
On a side note, do you guys want a new thread just for the Auteur or should we keep everything in here? I have no idea what site rules are pertaining to this etc.

A new thread would be amazing I guess. Plus, it doesn't hurt to create a new one for a new headphone :beyersmile:

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #4,492 of 9,743

Thanks for the info! A new thread would be nice. I foresee a lot of interest dedicated to the Auteur itself so maybe we shouldn't let it steal the thunder from Eikon/Atticus here.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #4,493 of 9,743
@monsterzero got one of the two bocote sets we've made. I don't often have other woods around that we don't use as inventory, but he hit me up about it at the right time and ended up with one.

YES!!!!

Finally I dont have to keep my awesome Bocote Atticus a secret any longer!:L3000: The weight has been lifted...BTW Im listening to some Agalloch thru my Atticus as im typing this....Damn I love these headphones.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #4,495 of 9,743
We are starting the pre-order on November 10th at 10am CST USA. If I messed up the countdown timer let me know! You'll also be able to preorder from our dealers, Hivemind Cables in Canada, and Zeppelin and Co. in Singapore.

It's cool, just a timezone thing for me. I still have to figure out if I need to get up early or stay up late. Either way, it's all good!

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #4,496 of 9,743
Care to post some pics? :)

I think @zach915m took some beauty shots of them before I received them,which im sure will do the wood grain better justice than I can.
If he cant upload them I will try to get a couple shots tomorrow uploaded for ya.

Oct 3, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #4,497 of 9,743
I think @zach915m took some beauty shots of them before I received them,which im sure will do the wood grain better justice than I can.
If he cant upload them I will try to get a couple shots tomorrow uploaded for ya.

Congrats on being able to snag a pair of these...would love to see them.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #4,498 of 9,743
Between the Atticus and Eikon, which is considered better for low-level listening - especially in terms of bass impact and mid/high energy? Do either need to be cranked up in order for them to sound dynamic (and any one of them more so than the other)?

Also intriguing is some of the conflicting opinions on preference for female vocal. The Eikon often gets a nod for its clarity, air, and slightly more forward presence; whilst the Atticus often gets a nod for its smoothness, liquidity, and smokiness. Does the latter ever sound recessed as a result of the rolled off highs or does it retain some sparkle up top?

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #4,499 of 9,743
Care to post some pics? :)

Congrats on being able to snag a pair of these...would love to see them.

Here they are...they sound a bit quicker than the others I have heard,but im going off of memory here...I absolutely love them for metal and rock!

22141101_10156056346200288_4874571363236530737_n.jpg
22195501_10156056346120288_458490740789912762_n.jpg
22228260_10156056346070288_5425314237667255507_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back