ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 9, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #4,321 of 9,748
Yup....poof.....gone.
But I understand completely, and I know for next time.
I'm still torn.
The only reason I'm on the fence about the Atticus is because I have a Burson V2+ driving a HiFiman 400i and I want to be sure going to the Atticus will be a significant improvement over my current combo. Although knowing me, I'll eventually go to an OTL or a really good SET and either of them with the Atticus will be lovely, I think.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #4,322 of 9,748
I just received some MrSpeaker Aeons, and I do like them. They seem pretty flexible, sounding pretty nice with most genres.

The downsides for my personal taste: I do find the mids maybe a little less aggressive than I would like, and maybe the highs not as extended/sparkly/airy as I'd hope. Finally, I feel like it can sound a little congested at time.

I'm hoping either of these two (Eikon/Atticus) might be an improvements in these regions. Possibly the more neutral Eikon may be more my cup of tea as it appears I tend to like a more forward/agressive sound signature, a large soundstage and low/punchy but not flabby bass.
I get what you mean Aeon has rather thin, lacking presence feel.

Both Atticus and Eikon have a touch of upper mid forwardness. The Atticus actually is the more aggressive. It's more hard hitting nature combined with upper mid bite really make them sound more alive than Eikon despite the more smooth timbre.

Atticus is nuts, the sense of speed cokbined with it's impact just males it sound so alive and present. Eikon despite being a tad thinner is more reserved.

Atticus was my choice as my music taste switches between haunting vocals and crazy musoc with lots of slam and energy.

I've actually got Eikon with me now before I have to return it to my friend and it's a great, balanced can but I'm missing that energy and crazyness from Atticus. I think most people will prefer the more calm, sensible Eikon but those who like a little extra spice thrown in will like Atticus.

Sep 10, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #4,323 of 9,748
Hi guys, has anyone used the Atticus or Eikon with an ifi Micro iDSD? I did an extensive A/B with the Mojo before buying and preferred the iDSD for almost all the music I listen to (at least on my Fostex X00 Mahogany). So now that the iDSD is my go-to desktop source (it doesn't leave the desktop), it would be good to get some impressions of it with the ZMFs, especially since they're harder to drive than the Fostex.
I have the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and it has no issues driving the Atticus. Even in normal mode and the volume at 9 or 10 o'clock is enough for me when listening while multitasking, so there's more than enough juice on tap. In terms of the pairing, I haven't listened enough to form an opinion. The Atticus definitely scales and sounds better on my AURAULiC TAURUS MKII, but that's not to say the iDSD pairing is bad.

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #4,324 of 9,748
I'll be leaving the ZMF club for sometime until I completely treat my ear problem (wisdom tooth causing me tinnitus and irritating my inner ear cavity causing pain and disconfort on moderate sound levels). Need funds for medical treatment so my gear has to go...:disappointed::head_bandage:
Will be keeping an eye on this thread though as it's fun reading your experiences

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #4,325 of 9,748
[QUOTE=" Your best bet (IMO) if you're in the city is @JerseyD who runs Inner Sanctum Audio. He'll meet you with gear for a demo and spend some time chatting all things audio. A good guy in my experience..audiophile 1st, salesman 2nd. No ZMF of course, Zach doesn't really do dealers in the US.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words @jinxy245 ! I have always advised people to let their own ears do the deciding, and I let people listen to as many models as they like for as long as they like. Way too many people put too much stock in reviews (by people who may have different listening preferences than they do). Regardless of what anyone says, this is all subjective. What do YOU like? Listen to everything in your price range (and beyond) before laying down your hard-earned money.

Maybe I should talk to Zach. Dan at MrSpeakers didn't use dealers for a long time. I may have been one of his first. So you never know...

Sep 10, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #4,326 of 9,748
I'll be leaving the ZMF club for sometime until I completely treat my ear problem (wisdom tooth causing me tinnitus and irritating my inner ear cavity causing pain and disconfort on moderate sound levels). Need funds for medical treatment so my gear has to go...:disappointed::head_bandage:
Will be keeping an eye on this thread though as it's fun reading your experiences

Not a dentist, but I've had a ton of dental work of all kinds, including removal of all wisdom teeth (on 2 occasions)...experienced some epic pain/swelling with wisdom teeth.

I would think that your auditory problems, if caused by a wisdom tooth, would remit once that tooth was removed and full healing has occurred.

Did you have tinnitus before the tooth acted up?

Sep 10, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #4,327 of 9,748
[QUOTE=" Your best bet (IMO) if you're in the city is @JerseyD who runs Inner Sanctum Audio. He'll meet you with gear for a demo and spend some time chatting all things audio. A good guy in my experience..audiophile 1st, salesman 2nd. No ZMF of course, Zach doesn't really do dealers in the US.

Thanks for the kind words @jinxy245 ! I have always advised people to let their own ears do the deciding, and I let people listen to as many models as they like for as long as they like. Way too many people put too much stock in reviews (by people who may have different listening preferences than they do). Regardless of what anyone says, this is all subjective. What do YOU like? Listen to everything in your price range (and beyond) before laying down your hard-earned money.

Maybe I should talk to Zach. Dan at MrSpeakers didn't use dealers for a long time. I may have been one of his first. So you never know...[/QUOTE]

My pleasure...I meant every word.

If Zach does open up to dealers, I'm sure you'd be on the list....next time I bug you to demo something, I'll bring my Eikon along for you to listen (if you haven't heard them already).

Sep 10, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #4,328 of 9,748
If Zach does open up to dealers, I'm sure you'd be on the list....next time I bug you to demo something, I'll bring my Eikon along for you to listen (if you haven't heard them already).
ZMF has started welcoming dealers for a while now, check out their website, unless you meant in the US specifically

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #4,330 of 9,748
We do allow US dealers! :L3000: Atticus and Eikon only though, no Ori, Blackwood or Vibro.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 10, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #4,331 of 9,748
I don't know why it's taking me so long to pull the trigger on the Atticus. From what i've read so far, it's exactly what i'm looking for. Maybe it's because I don't have an OTL or SET tube amp which are probably the amps to pair with it. I have a Burson V2+. Has anyone heard an Atticus driven by a Burson? I just want the Burson/Atticus combo to be a significant improvement over my Burson/400i planar that I'm currently using.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #4,334 of 9,748
Can anyone recommend a good Amp to pair with the Atticus? I'm looking at the Valhalla 2 right now.
Bottlehead crack or Project Horizon on the cheap. They are more "tubey" than the Valhalla 2, IMO.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back