ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 8, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #4,306 of 9,748
My Eikons just arrived (Camphor cups)! I'll be comparing to my beloved MrSpeakers Alpha Primes over the next two weeks - the winner stays. :)

Build quality is wonderful - feels like old school hand-crafted luxury quality, all wood and metal and leather. Like if summit-fi headphones were around in 1917. :) Super-comfy; you don't feel the weight, at least initially. The pads are lovely, though wonder if they might feel warm after a while (might not want to wear them on a hot, sweaty day). Got the OFC cable, which seems to be very good quality, though I can't tell for sure which plug is right and which is left??

Now, sonic first impressions (after literally an hour of listening)... I only have my Chord Mojo today, so will test with that via my MacBook Pro. The Mojo sounds *phenomenal* with the Primes, but doesn't gel with everything - it did *not* sound good with the MrSpeakers Aeons when I tried them in a local store - so I'll reserve judgment until I've tried them with other amps. (I'll be in the office tomorrow, with my Schiit Lyr.) So this really is just very early impressions...

Pros:

BIG, chunky, meaty sound! Dynamic, full-fat, tons of power.

Bass is deep, clean, textured, and powerful. Mids are sweet and rich. Treble is very much present, but sweet and natural - not at all grainy or peaky. Overall the frequency response is very balanced and natural, and smoothly integrated.

It's not warm or soft, and has quite a neutral tonal balance, but it's... creamy? Velvety? There's definitely a luscious, seductive smoothness across the frequency range. I think this is the ZMF wood cups and by-ear tuning - I remember it from the ZMF Blackwood Purple Hearts I bought at the same time as my Alpha Primes (and returned), though this is *far* more refined, sweeter, more detailed.

Great pace & rhythm. Nimble and fast. Fun and bouncy.

Soundstage is very open and wide for a closed `phone. (But it's still clearly a closed `phone.)

Cons:

That creamy/velvetiness seems to smooth over detail. My Alpha Primes have subjectively a lot more detail/plankton, and sound a more transparent & clear. The Primes are also more neutral, without any added warmth. Compared to the Primes, the Eikons sound like they're somewhat muddled or coarse. Tones are also sweeter, more colorful, and more accurate on the Primes.

My first impression is that these are beautiful, seductive, delightful, balanced, headphones... but not as good as my Primes. :) But, I feel there is a hard philosophical dilemma here - euphonic seduction with meat on the bones vs straight-up accuracy with clarity/transparency. But the Primes are far and away the best closed cans I've heard (or even best cans period), so the Eikons have a tough fight on their hands.

But of course all of this comes with three gigantic caveats: 1) I need to try them with other amps, 2) they probably need to burn in, and 3) I need to spend a lot more time with them. I feel like if I got used to the Eikons sound, the Primes might sound anemic and dry... so we'll see how I go after two weeks.

Dunc

P.S. - I'm tempted to get an OTL tube amp to try with them... A Schiit Valhalla would be the obvious choice (15-day return policy, woot), or maybe a second-hand Bottlehead Crack or chi-fi... Will see how the Lyr goes first though.

Oh. I was wrong. The Eikons hate the Mojo! :-O

Suddenly remembered last night that I had a Centrance Hifi Skyn gathering dust in a drawer, so got that out and… MUCH better! The overbearing richness of the Mojo is gone, and though there’s still a creaminess to everything, it’s much subtler and more inoffensive. There was a congested quality to the sound with the Mojo that’s gone with the Centrance.

Back in the office today, so I’ve been listening via my Schiit Lyr all day (using Mojo as just DAC), and it’s so damn good! Sexy af! The sound is open, sweet, smooth, clear, and natural! But still huge and dynamic! Tones and textures are glorious (never heard electric guitar sound this good)!

I’ll post a more in-depth impression after I’ve had them longer, but thought I’d get this out there straight away. Not sure what’s going on with the Mojo, but it seems to “over-excite” the Eikons? Maybe the Mojo doesn’t like sensitive cans? Had a similar experience with the MrSpeakers Aeons, which really did not gel with the Mojo either (over-excited treble). Whereas the Mojo is the best amp I’ve heard for the Alpha Primes - really brings them to life! Synergy, eh.

Dunc

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #4,307 of 9,748
I really like the Mojo with both the Eikon and Atticus. Mojo is a little warm but has great texture and extension and a little lush in the mids.

Mojo doesn't do anything to alter the Atticus crazy slam and impact and Eikon maintains it's extended sub bass and sensible nature.

I've got my friends Eikon around here to compare over the weekend. It's amazing how complimentary they are. The sub bass for 99% of my music is actually really similar. It really is though like the Eikon has taken cocain and just woken up to party and turned into the Atticus. If you've ever watched iZombie, The Eikon is Clive, and the Atticus is friggin Blaine!

I don't know how but despite the impact, crazy slam the Atticus is smoother, more planar like in smoothness than the leaner, slightly grainy(In comparison only!) Eikon. My friend actually wants to trade as he likes Atticus too but I just can't let that Addictive sound go, when I listen to other phones like the Aeon, Eikon, HD800, LCD-3, Ether Flow I just want the Atticus back on my head. That's when you know you've found something special!

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #4,308 of 9,748
After reading this thread, I was set on buying an Atticus as it seems to get more love than the Eikon. Other websites seem to love the Eikon and don't care for the Atticus.

Shoot me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 9, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #4,311 of 9,748
Ok the Taboo mkIV gets pretty expensive importing it to europe with shipping and taxes. Anyone can comment on the CSP3 with the Eikon especially? I know Atticus loves OTL amps but what about its sibbling? It will sound different from the Liquid Carbon but will it be an upgrade (like better gear synergy)?

Sep 9, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #4,312 of 9,748
Ok the Taboo mkIV gets pretty expensive importing it to europe with shipping and taxes. Anyone can comment on the CSP3 with the Eikon especially? I know Atticus loves OTL amps but what about its sibbling? It will sound different from the Liquid Carbon but will it be an upgrade (like better gear synergy)?
The La Figaro 339 is a pretty darn nice OTL amp. Not sure if it is hard to get in Europe, but I suspect it isn't. Might be worth looking into a few threads and reviews of it.

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,314 of 9,748
Wow! That's a 10kg piece of an amp...I might consider it but something smaller would be preferable.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thats the Mojo next to the 339...so you can get an idea of its footprint.
Personally I dont find it too big,but then again I use full size receivers from the 1970s on my desktop too:dt880smile:
0909171155.jpg

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #4,315 of 9,748
Personally I dont find it too big,but then again I use full size receivers from the 1970s on my desktop too:dt880smile:

Oh ok. It's almost as my notebook footprint. I'll be using it with a Mojo too. How does it sound with ZMF dynamics? My sweet spots of audio are soundstage, mids and sub bass slam. Never heard a tube amp:gs1000smile:

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #4,316 of 9,748
If you scroll back a page or two I gave a quick a/b on it vs one of my old receivers,but the quick IMHO is that I prefer tubes for slower music and solid state for faster music....Again just my preference,YMMV.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #4,317 of 9,748
Hi guys, has anyone used the Atticus or Eikon with an ifi Micro iDSD? I did an extensive A/B with the Mojo before buying and preferred the iDSD for almost all the music I listen to (at least on my Fostex X00 Mahogany). So now that the iDSD is my go-to desktop source (it doesn't leave the desktop), it would be good to get some impressions of it with the ZMFs, especially since they're harder to drive than the Fostex.

Sep 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #4,320 of 9,748
They both do all of those well. The differences are the Atticus is more lively and hard hitting and Eikon is more reserved, linear.

I just received some MrSpeaker Aeons, and I do like them. They seem pretty flexible, sounding pretty nice with most genres.

The downsides for my personal taste: I do find the mids maybe a little less aggressive than I would like, and maybe the highs not as extended/sparkly/airy as I'd hope. Finally, I feel like it can sound a little congested at time.

I'm hoping either of these two (Eikon/Atticus) might be an improvements in these regions. Possibly the more neutral Eikon may be more my cup of tea as it appears I tend to like a more forward/agressive sound signature, a large soundstage and low/punchy but not flabby bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back