ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 12, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #3,286 of 9,747
Huh?

Why do you say that?

confused_face_2.gif

what i say?

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #3,287 of 9,747
I have to disagree with most of this review. Then again, he could have a unicorn LCD-2. The variation between the same headphone is rather extreme. I had two 2016 versions of the LCD-2. One had completely sucked out upper mids and the other had a steely treble glare. Both were a bit wonky and just sounded off from the upper mids on up.

I think the lcd-2 sits comfortably in the $700 bracket that it often goes on sale for, but even then I'd still recommend the Hifimoist 560.

LOL

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,289 of 9,747
  Just wondering why you thought you'd be the last one to buy an atticus thats all. 

The LCD2 is not a bad headphone at used market price but I don't think you made a bad choice.

Oh,gotcha...limited cash flow,retired,disabled,so 800.00 headphones dont come and go freely in my collection.On the bright side,by the time Im able to afford one again the rare wood versions should be available.

Nah,the LCD-2 isnt bad,its just that with the other headphones I already own they had become relegated to trance and bright recording duty,and seeing as how I love mids first and foremost it was a no brainer for me,even if I do end up sacrificing a bit of sub bass extension.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #3,290 of 9,747
  Just wondering why you thought you'd be the last one to buy an atticus thats all. 

The LCD2 is not a bad headphone at used market price but I don't think you made a bad choice.

Last member to get one.  Meaning like he's ordered it but it's taking forever.

That's why I interpreted it as at least.  Correct me if I'm wrong @monsterzero.

Also lol I'm number 77 in line right now so...

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #3,291 of 9,747
  Last member to get one.  Meaning like he's ordered it but it's taking forever.

That's why I interpreted it as at least.  Correct me if I'm wrong @monsterzero.

Also lol I'm number 77 in line right now so...

Nope,poor impulse control,a need for a DAC and tubes ate up my Atticus fund...

My obsession with vintage receivers is actually stronger than that for HPs...Originally got into them because they make excellent HP amps and now theyve overtaken HPs for my number one hobby.

Theres at least 10 vintage receivers im drooling over,yet only one HP(Atticus)

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #3,292 of 9,747
By vintage, I hope you mean pre-80's gear.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,294 of 9,747
By vintage, I hope you mean pre-80's gear.

Most def...

Sansui 5000a~1967..when they dont catch on fire they have a very warm sound
Sansui 881~1971...not quite as warm as the 5000a,more mids.
Marantz 2226b~1977...too small to drive most of my gear,so I gave it to my son...sexy tuner dial tho
Onkyo TX-6500 MK 2~1979...my first 100wpc monster,stunning clarity...has me dreaming for bigger and badder!

Nothing digital or post '79 for me

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #3,295 of 9,747
So the Eikon was at a bunch of tables at Canjam and my overwhelming impression:  man this thing scales really well!  They had it on, among other things, a $15k Wells Audio reference amp and it sounded fantastic!  It was at the Source A/V table where I was working and I got nothing but positive feedback when people listened to it.  

Oh and Zach was there or something... 

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,296 of 9,747
So the Eikon was at a bunch of tables at Canjam and my overwhelming impression:  man this thing scales really well!  They had it on, among other things, a $15k Wells Audio reference amp and it sounded fantastic!  It was at the Source A/V table where I was working and I got nothing but positive feedback when people listened to it.  

Oh and Zach was there or something... 

Yeah, listening to "Take Five" on the Eikon + Headtrip Reference + Chord DAVE was like being in the room with the band!

Jaw, meet floor.

I've now heard Eikon with the Liquid Tungsten, WA-33 and the Headtrip Reference, and it scaled up all the way with all of them. That's damn impressive, if you ask me.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3,299 of 9,747

HA!

(yes--igneous rock)

LOL. My brother and I still have some nice vintage gear, well 70s and 80s gear mostly, so depending on what you consider vintage that is.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #3,300 of 9,747
  LOL. My brother and I still have some nice vintage gear, well 70s and 80s gear mostly, so depending on what you consider vintage that is.

Hoping one of yall can run the ZMF twins out of some vintage gear and let us know us know how they pair together. 

@Hansotek
thinks that the resistor values used back in the day will give the Atticus improved midrange at the cost of slam...quite curious 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back