ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 11, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #3,272 of 9,747
I know it's speculation at this point, but which amp you think is better for eikon+Atticus? The WA8 or liquid crimson mini?

The mini Liquid Crimson isn't portable, it's a desktop tube amp. Doesn't that rule it out for you? If you're going straight to desktop, there's a whole new set of amps to consider.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #3,275 of 9,747
Hi grizzlybeast, I saw in your review that IHA-6 is not too shabby as solid state for Atticus - which output did you use, 10 ohm, 120 ohm or balanced ?  Already have IHA-6 and should receive A&E within the next 2 weeks. Thank you. 

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #3,276 of 9,747
Just got the Schiit Valhalla 2 in for review, and I must say that I really to like the synergy it has with the ZMF dynamics (especially Atticus) - even more than the Cavalli Liquid Carbon or Audio-GD NFB28's amp section.

I'm curious if anyone tried either can with the new Cavalli amp at Can Jam SoCal - not the Liquid Tungsten but the mini-tube one.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #3,277 of 9,747
The mini Liquid Crimson isn't portable, it's a desktop tube amp. Doesn't that rule it out for you? If you're going straight to desktop, there's a whole new set of amps to consider.

I assumed since it was mini it'd be portable (or at least small enough to transport easily). But if it's not then yes, it rules it out.

Thanks for looking out

Apr 12, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #3,279 of 9,747
  Just got the Schiit Valhalla 2 in for review, and I must say that I really to like the synergy it has with the ZMF dynamics (especially Atticus) - even more than the Cavalli Liquid Carbon or Audio-GD NFB28's amp section.

I'm curious if anyone tried either can with the new Cavalli amp at Can Jam SoCal - not the Liquid Tungsten but the mini-tube one.

That's good to hear since I just bought a black Valhalla 2 in anticipation of my Eikon arriving.  There's always a danger in purchasing the amp first before you've actually heard the headphone but I didn't want to miss out on the black finish option.  I will be eagerly anticipating your review.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #3,280 of 9,747
  LCD-2 compared with the Atticus

http://aornic.com/reviews/2017/4/12/audeze-lcd-2

I thought that was a good review. I owned an LCD 2 (2016 model) and I have to agree completely with the characterization of the sound signature. I really enjoyed it as well.

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #3,281 of 9,747
  Hi grizzlybeast, I saw in your review that IHA-6 is not too shabby as solid state for Atticus - which output did you use, 10 ohm, 120 ohm or balanced ?  Already have IHA-6 and should receive A&E within the next 2 weeks. Thank you. 

What's up!

It is always best to use the iHA-6 balanced no matter which headphone. 

Cheers,

Lee

Apr 12, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #3,282 of 9,747
  LCD-2 compared with the Atticus

http://aornic.com/reviews/2017/4/12/audeze-lcd-2

I came away from CanJam NYC thinking Atticus>LCD-2....My LCD was a PF version,and felt that they filled the same position in a HP collection,but preferred the mids of Atticus,so I sold my LCD-2s to buy the Atticus...then spent all my Atticus cash on a Mojo,a vintage receiver and a NOS tube upgrade for my speaker amp.

Apparently I will be the last member in this thread to get an Atticus
mad.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #3,283 of 9,747

gs1000.gif

They are finally here !!!

Beautiful! Is that a padauk Eikon & ormosia henryi Ori?

Very interested in your comments about respective sound of these HPs. FYI, I have the ormosia henryi Ori (unbelievably good) & am very interested in the Atticus.

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,284 of 9,747

I came away from CanJam NYC thinking Atticus>LCD-2....My LCD was a PF version,and felt that they filled the same position in a HP collection,but preferred the mids of Atticus,so I sold my LCD-2s to buy the Atticus...then spent all my Atticus cash on a Mojo,a vintage receiver and a NOS tube upgrade for my speaker amp.

Apparently I will be the last member in this thread to get an Atticus:mad:

Huh?

Why do you say that?

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #3,285 of 9,747

I have to disagree with most of this review. Then again, he could have a unicorn LCD-2. The variation between the same headphone is rather extreme. I had two 2016 versions of the LCD-2. One had completely sucked out upper mids and the other had a steely treble glare. Both were a bit wonky and just sounded off from the upper mids on up.

I think the lcd-2 sits comfortably in the $700 bracket that it often goes on sale for, but even then I'd still recommend the Hifimoist 560.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back