Attention console gamers: what headset/headphone/amp/mic do you use?PC350?AD700?HD595 etc..
Jun 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

iiTipZ

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I ma curious as to what audiophile gamer use for their can set up. I own most of the top gaming cans under 250 dollars. i.e TB HPA2, AD700, PC350 and HD595. These are great headphones/headset BUT each have their own flaws in regards of being versatile.

I am a console gamer (XBOX360) and I do appreciate the occasional music and movies. All  the headset/headphone I own I do prefer using my Sennhieser HD595. Not only it is good for games but also good in movies and music.

I want to know, more like a 2010 update on what console gamers use for their cans and what is their set up like.

For me I use Modern Warfare Edition XBOX, HD595 with Labtec lva-7330 velocroed to the side, Astro Mixamp, FiiO E7

I am hoping to help entry level people that want quality cans for console gaming. also, help me improve on my set up.

Thanks in advance.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 15
DT770 Pro, DT990, and AD2000 at the moment.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 15
I don't like the zalman mic, reason is it is too sensitive it picks up everything like fan, my dogs etc....I decided to pick up a boom mic IMO it's so much better all around

Jun 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 15
The Zalman sucks something big. I need something to replace it that works with the Mixamp.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #8 of 15
I love my Turtle Beach X31's..  They ate batteries before I went with rechargeables, other then that, I can't complain at all..

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 15
I use a pair of SRH840 with the Astro mixamp when I am playing single player and swap over to the PC 350 when I am playing multiplayer (I agree with the comments degrading the zalmann in this thread - total junk!). I used to have a pair of HD555 and also had a chance to borrow some used DT770s for a few weeks - I find the SRH840 has a nice balance between bass impact and positioning between them.

I have heard the DT880 with the mix amp is amazing, but have never had a chance to try those out.

Jun 23, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
The Zalman sucks something big. I need something to replace it that works with the Mixamp.

If I were you I would try using the Labtec LVA-7330 it works well with the Astro Mixamp. You can just saw of the headband and velcor it to the side of you can. For Mute capabilities use a xbox microphone adapter $12 on amazon.

Quote:
hmmm... i've had zero problems with the zalman mic.

If you are in a quite atmosphere the zalman is great. Like I said I have a fan,ac,dogs etc....noise and the zalman picks up everything.

Quote:
I love my Turtle Beach X31's..  They ate batteries before I went with rechargeables, other then that, I can't complain at all..

I appreciate your comment BUT TB x31? I cannot believe you posted that in here...jk As long as it works for you man. But you do know that TB x31 is not surround sound right. If you do decide to go to the 5.1 dolby side you will notice a big difference.

Quote:
I use a pair of SRH840 with the Astro mixamp when I am playing single player and swap over to the PC 350 when I am playing multiplayer (I agree with the comments degrading the zalmann in this thread - total junk!). I used to have a pair of HD555 and also had a chance to borrow some used DT770s for a few weeks - I find the SRH840 has a nice balance between bass impact and positioning between them.

I have heard the DT880 with the mix amp is amazing, but have never had a chance to try those out.

I have never own any beyerdynamic headphones but I did hear good reviews about them. Are they comfortable like the senns? I got a PC350 for christmas my parents thought it would be a nice replacement to my 1year old HD595 with mic....haha.....BUT I did appreciate the gesture and the PC350 is great can for gaming good crisp sound and added crystal clear mic as a bonus but I use it as a back up (because the PC350 is very power hungry you need some good amp, I use the Astro Mixamp with the FiiO E7. My primary can is the Sennhieser HD595

Anyone else? I know there are a lot of gamers in here. Please let us know of your set up. Thanks

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #11 of 15

Yeah, yeah, I know the lowly X31's mentioned at Head-Fi.. blah, blah, blah..  LOL 
atsmile.gif

God forbid somebody wants a decent sounding, inexpensive, wireless solution. I know they're not surround, but they're directional enough. If I want real 5.1 dolby surround I'll fire up my home theater system, but for late night gaming they're more then adequate. They're 1/3 the cost of Trittons, don't require me to be connected like Novac's and I don't have to clip on a mic.  I'm quite happy running to the fridge to grab a beer with my X31's on.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I appreciate your comment BUT TB x31? I cannot believe you posted that in here...jk As long as it works for you man. But you do know that TB x31 is not surround sound right. If you do decide to go to the 5.1 dolby side you will notice a big difference.

Jun 25, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 15
I've had a pair of Senn PC350s for about two years, and they have been great, though I didn't understand what I was missing until I hero-modded them a couple months ago. If you end up with a pair, check out the thread here involving that process. One small hole (1/8th inch) in each was sufficient for me.

Albeit a bit bass-weak without an amp, they are still a great standalone headphone for music, and the nearly indestructible mic sounds very natural too. I can say they are great for long gaming sessions as well, having gone stretches of 50+ hours of continuous gaming with them. I don't really do that anymore, though.
ph34r.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
I've had a pair of Senn PC350s for about two years, and they have been great, though I didn't understand what I was missing until I hero-modded them a couple months ago. If you end up with a pair, check out the thread here involving that process. One small hole (1/8th inch) in each was sufficient for me.

Albeit a bit bass-weak without an amp, they are still a great standalone headphone for music, and the nearly indestructible mic sounds very natural too. I can say they are great for long gaming sessions as well, having gone stretches of 50+ hours of continuous gaming with them. I don't really do that anymore, though.
ph34r.gif

Don't get me wrong I love my PC350 BUT a few things differ me for using them on a day to day basis. 1. They are great semi noise canceling headphones BUT for some reason it makes the inside of my ear itchy! wierd I know. 2. Being closed I hear my self talking and for some reason it's hard for me to get use to it. 3. It's a comfortable headset BUT it is NOT as comfortable as the HD595. But like i said i still have love them as a back up or when I go to LANs.

Also, I use the FiiO E5, and my most recent purchase FiiO E7. I know the HD595 are easy to drive BUT with the FiiO E7 soundstage so much bigger and sounds are more "alive" the Astro Mixamp just doesn't have the ohmp that me and my cans needed.

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I know the lowly X31's mentioned at Head-Fi.. blah, blah, blah..  LOL 
atsmile.gif

God forbid somebody wants a decent sounding, inexpensive, wireless solution. I know they're not surround, but they're directional enough. If I want real 5.1 dolby surround I'll fire up my home theater system, but for late night gaming they're more then adequate. They're 1/3 the cost of Trittons, don't require me to be connected like Novac's and I don't have to clip on a mic.  I'm quite happy running to the fridge to grab a beer with my X31's on.
beerchug.gif

Hey man I am not knocking your TB X3 I know it's a decent and convinient heaset in fact last July I recieved the TB X4 for my bday from my brother in law and I love them. Your right you more free to go around the house with out talking them off BUT I'm 30yrs old and I have been an audiophile all my life and it is hard to step back. Even on the original xbox I was using Sennheiser HD555 with a Plantronics cell phone mic. I am not hear to knock on any one and I do appreciate your input though.

Anyone else have a set up they want to share?

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #14 of 15
How is that mixamp with the 555/595 for music?  

Im very curious to hear it, ive never gotten a chance to use the mixamp by astro and am really anxious to hear it.  I am still undecided whether or not to get the 555 and do the easy mod or hold off for a 580.   Thing is i know the 580s stage isnt as spacious as the 555/595 and i prefer the bassier closer to forward sound.  I am just not at all sure of how the mix amp really works for it and have been patiently waiting for someone to give an indepth review on it with the 555/595 for gaming and music

Jun 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
How is that mixamp with the 555/595 for music?  

Im very curious to hear it, ive never gotten a chance to use the mixamp by astro and am really anxious to hear it.  I am still undecided whether or not to get the 555 and do the easy mod or hold off for a 580.   Thing is i know the 580s stage isnt as spacious as the 555/595 and i prefer the bassier closer to forward sound.  I am just not at all sure of how the mix amp really works for it and have been patiently waiting for someone to give an indepth review on it with the 555/595 for gaming and music

Ok I will give you a quick review of the Astro Mixamp. Currently there are two amps (that I know of, I'm sure there are other but it might cost you a liver) that can be use for console gaming for use of audiophile headphones. One is the well popular and very well marketed Astro Gamings Mixamp and the other is the Audio Rush 5.1.

Audio Rush 5.1 I do not have this product but my friend uses it and from reading through reviews it seems to a "manual" 5.1 soundard) my friend uses it for his HPA2 through XBOX. If you think Astro Mixamp has a lot of cords this one doubles the amount of cords.

Astro Mixamp - "virtual" dolby surround sound. It is a versatile amp. Can be use on a PS3,XBOX360 or a PC. It evens drives cans like Senns HD650. It fetaures seperate master volume and game to voice volume dial that allows you to set volumes a.towards team chat to just game chat. If you are a console gamer I strongly suggest on getting this one, as it is a must.

This is just my take on these amps I am sure i can go more on detail BUT you can research them for your self jk lol. Any specific question let me know man.

**Here are some pics of my set up please share me your thoughts**Also, please notice the controller I bought a "XBOX360 microphone adapter" this alows me have a volume rocker and a mute switch.**

http://gamebattles.com/profile/tipsyelite02/photos?id=3228821

Please enjoy the pics and share us your thoughts or post a pic of you set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back