Attempting to get the best possible sound out of my PS3 or new tv in HD595's
Jan 4, 2011 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Vader815

New Head-Fier
All I found on here was this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/336303/best-headphone-ps3-setup-for-sound-quality which I didn't find too helpful, so any further help would be greatly appreciated. 

Basically, can't afford a 5.1/7.1 setup right now, so I'm looking into headphone usage with my tv as I've posted elsewhere. 

I'm about to buy HD595's (currently using HD448's) for home use, along with a totalbithead amp. 

I want the best possible sound from either my tv or my PS3 excluding using an av receiver, which I currently can't afford (for a good one). 

My tv doesn't have a headphone jack, and right now I'm using my 448's with a female headphone rca adaptor with an extension cord + a volume control, and I'm -very- underwhelmed with the sound to say the least (my 448's are fully burned in also). Would it be better to find some adaptor for optical out (do such things exist?) or to run the rca cables from my PS3 directly into [size=small]http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2627[/size][size=small] then into [/size][size=small]http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5143 ? [/size]

Or perhaps the virtual surround would be best like in the thread I posted. 

Any help at all would be a life saver :)

-Vader

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 10
Most ppl get an Astro Mixamp.  That's my setup.  (image below, to the right.  AD700, PS3 controller then that thing with a big dial is the mixamp)

PS3 > Mixamp > headphone.

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm going to use this setup 99% for bd's, almost never for games (I own one single PS3 game, and it was a gift, and an awesome at that- arkum asylum) would this deliver a 5.1 signal into my 595's/would it be good for films?

Also, thanks for the super quick response! Haha, I love posting on here. 

Basically, what would be better, getting this http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A2535683&cs=19&c=us&l=en&dgc=SS&cid=27530&lid=627063

for movies, or getting the total bithead which everyone says is amazing with the 595's and running them from white/red rca's from my ps3 or tv (whichever one is better I spose). 

-Vader

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #4 of 10
Astro Mix amp is probably the best solution indeed, if you want to keep the budget low and I assume you want since you mentioned you can't afford speaker.

Wwhat it will do is it will decode the 5.1 sound and "simulate" surround sound in your headphones, it will work the same for any multi-channel audio, so it's will work with movies too.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 10
The pic used for dell listing is the old mixamp (don't know if they just didn't realize it or if they are selling the old mixamp)

You can check with them or just get it from astrogaming themselves.

I think for your purpose, the mixamp should be a better solution.  Mixamp is pretty crappy as an "audiophile" amp, but its use for movies (and gaming should you ever get into that) makes it the better option for you imo.

With total bithead, ps3 will send digital signal to TV, TV converts it to analog, send it through RCA to bithead to amplified the sound.  I can't imagine this being good... if this is what you want to go with, a cheapo $20 fiiO E5 with bass boost will probably give you more impact...

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 10
You really need an amp or something. If you by chance have an old av receiver, i suggest you connect the ps3 to that then plug in the headphones to the receiver. Just using the RCA to the headphones are a horrible way of listening to your headphones from the ps3 even if you have a volume control, just not enough power to power anything even earbuds. I suggest you take a trip to the nearest thrift stores and look for a cheap av receiver and try that out with your hd 448 before going for the full upgrade. I'm sure you can find one for a cheap price around 10-40$. 

When i first started gaming on my ps360 with headphones i tried the setup that you have just straight RCA to headphones and i could barely power/hear my old ATH m30s so i know how you feel in a way.

I found my Dad's old Yamaha receiver from the late 80s and basically plugged in the ps3's av out audio to the back of the receiver then plugged in the headphones and wow what a difference. Although it was only stereo i was still able to get a whole lot more out of my m30s when playing games/movies. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 10
if you're trying to save some money, a lot of people say that the turtle beach dds performs just as good as the astro mixamps.  the dds i'm guessing is about $60ish, which is around half the price of the mixamp.

but personally i would probably get the new mixamp (5.8 i think is the version) which is now wireless.  this would be nice since i can sit far from the tv/monitor when playing games or watching movies on the ps3 without having to mess with miles of cables

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the responses everyone! Okay, well,

A.) about the amps for surround sound, is it effective/good? Obviously, I can't expect it to compete with a 5.1 system, but even so, will it effectively simulate surround? 

Quote:
if you're trying to save some money, a lot of people say that the turtle beach dds performs just as good as the astro mixamps.  the dds i'm guessing is about $60ish, which is around half the price of the mixamp.

but personally i would probably get the new mixamp (5.8 i think is the version) which is now wireless.  this would be nice since i can sit far from the tv/monitor when playing games or watching movies on the ps3 without having to mess with miles of cables

B.) I don't really care too much about wires as I'm about 5-6 feet from the tv and the 595's cord is ten feet long. Is the only main difference the wireless stuff, with the quality being the same? 

C.) If I'm so inclined could I have this setup effectively: ps3 to mixamp to total bithead to headphones? 

As always, thanks a bunch, 

-Vader

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 10

i know the feeling when i tried playing my ps3 with same way and could bearly get sound out my old sennheiser 205's at all. it was so low. you would expect for a 600 dollar system it'll have a decent dac built-in :/ but it doesn't. i use my 1972 sansui 5000x receiver with everything and works very well and sounds amazing. also with headphones that have a nice defined soundstage 5.1/7.1 set-ups will seem like a gimmick. trust me,i know. my akg 240's has amazing detail in full 360 degrees and i can hear footsteps in the distance all around me.

also i forgot op if you have a computer and soundcard you can hook your ps3 in the line-in on the soundcard with a male to male 3.5mm headphone plug and headphones in the output of the soundcard and that will help too if you have a decent soundcard. 
Quote:
You really need an amp or something. If you by chance have an old av receiver, i suggest you connect the ps3 to that then plug in the headphones to the receiver. Just using the RCA to the headphones are a horrible way of listening to your headphones from the ps3 even if you have a volume control, just not enough power to power anything even earbuds. I suggest you take a trip to the nearest thrift stores and look for a cheap av receiver and try that out with your hd 448 before going for the full upgrade. I'm sure you can find one for a cheap price around 10-40$. 

When i first started gaming on my ps360 with headphones i tried the setup that you have just straight RCA to headphones and i could barely power/hear my old ATH m30s so i know how you feel in a way.

I found my Dad's old Yamaha receiver from the late 80s and basically plugged in the ps3's av out audio to the back of the receiver then plugged in the headphones and wow what a difference. Although it was only stereo i was still able to get a whole lot more out of my m30s when playing games/movies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back