Atrocious Build Quality on Shure's Sleeves?
Dec 8, 2010 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DeeKay10

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently bought a pair of Shure SE535s, after previously having a pair of SE210s, which cable torn two years and a month from purchase (what an odd coincidence!).
Having not the greatest ear moulds in the world, I naturally needed to try a few sleeves. Thing is, you can't get them off, can't get them on, and so far I managed to destroy four of them - a pair of large and medium sleeves.
Now, it's not a new thing for Shure headphones to have tight sleeves. It took tremendous force back then, with the SE210s, to put on the sleeves, but the difference was that the base was made of hard rubber, so they could slide in as you twist them. With the SE535s however, they made the dumb decision to make the base out of softer, less-denser rubber, which simply gets stuck on the nozzle once you twist it in deep enough. The situation is so bad, that I ended up using so much force which not just made the foam come off the rubbery base (pathetically, you get accustomed to it after the first time you do it), but actually managed to tear the foam apart.

I later learned that you should expand the base of the sleeve before inserting it (and destroy the two factory-worn sleeves anyway), but it's still an idiotic solution which isn't suppose to be necessary in the first place, considering this is a $500 product.
I went to a local Shure distributer with the story, by the way, and they replaced the sleeves free of charge. When asked for an advice however, they suggest I'd lubricated the base of the sleeve before inserting it (quote: "try putting a bit of Vaseline in there before sliding them on"). I didn't know whether he was kidding with me or not. Eitherway, that's not gonna happen.

The question in mind, do all Shure latest in-ears (SExx5) suffer from this, or is it just me that got screwed?

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 6
If you're referring to the black foam tips then yes, the SE535 does suffer from this. Shure recommends putting them in the freezer for 20 min and then remove. It doesn't damage the SE535. What I do is wrap a small towel on the tips, then twist and pull the tips off. It works much better than trying to take them off with my bare fingers.

Dec 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 6
That's really unfortunate I have both 425/535s and I've never had trouble removing them =_=
Just slowly grip the "core" of the sleeve and use a twisting motion

Dec 8, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Just managed to destroy another foam...
Curiously, the yellow foam sleeves are the easiest to insert, having a thin rubber base. Shame there's only one pair, and in medium size.

I've read about that freezer method here on the forums, but I'm tad afraid of trying it. Electricity + humidity just doesn't seem to be a winning combination for me. Do you have any reference to it on Shure's website, Rip N' Burn?
I tried using a towel by the way, and that's how I slaughtered the latest sleeve.

I do just that, TheGomdoRi, but it won't budge. It feels like a piece of soft rubber stuck to glass.

It might sound like a wild shot, but could the headphone colouring be related to anything?

Dec 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't think Shure advertises the freezer method. A few headfiers have emailed or called Shure directly and they recommended the freezer method. Try contacting them and you should get the same response.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 6
I've been at the Shure distributer again today, and mentioned that to them. They said they never heard about it, but will email Shure and ask.
Anyhow, they again replaced my torn sleeves, this time with the previous generation, and these babies slide in easily, thanks to having a much thinner base (even though its diameter is smaller than the nozzle's).

I've also bought a 5-pack of those old sleeves (manufactured in '05), so I guess I'm covered for the next couple years. Had the chance to listen to the SRH840 while I'm there too, but I'm going off topic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back