Atlanta Mini-Meet w/ Pics!
Aug 28, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #16 of 36
Wow, an amazing bunch of gear for a meet. Any comparisons between the (properly burned in, amped, and well-known) L3000 and the R10?

I was blown away by the R10 off the Supra XLR at the Boston meet on Saturday. And Mikhail is great to talk with, a really nice guy.

Aug 28, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #17 of 36
The SDS-XLR is amplification perfection. If it's possible to make a better amp, my ears would be incapable of discerning the difference. The SDS-XLR with the balanced R10 would be headphone system perfection, if only all recording were great
biggrin.gif
Even still, it's very close. We didn't have a balanced L3000 unfortunately, but comparing R10/L3000 single ended - The L3000 is voiced in a way to make it gel better with average recordings, IMO. However, the L3000's also not capable of the heights the R10 is when everything's clicking, though.

Mikhail is a really awesome guy, too
smily_headphones1.gif

The balanced R10 was said to be one of the last produced - high serial number. It was hard to compare the 2 R10's since obviously the balanced ones sounded better (we should have broken out an adaptor to compare the 2 in single ended mode), but they were voiced the same to my ears. The Omega II and homemade electrostat were driven by a mostly stock Headamp KGSS - the vent holes on top were DIY
biggrin.gif

Gotta run for now...

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #18 of 36
I have to agree with Mike on this. The R10 with the right kind of music (Jazz, Female Vocal, etc)...is impossible to beat. I now understand the magic of this R10 and with the correct amplification, source, and suitable recording, they are the king of dynamics headphone. If you own several sub-par recording materials, the R10 will reveal all the imperfections of the recording and could make things unbearable.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #19 of 36
Gahhh!! I wish I knew about this meet!! Looks really awesome guys, top notch! We need to have an ubermeet soon with all this plus the other ATL and Athens folks. I have some serious headphone envy right now with the R10's and SDS-XLR and all. Great job guys!

Aditya

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #20 of 36
More impressions...

R10:
This headphone has the best midrange, ever. No other headphone that was here could match it. It's also the most detailed, resolving heaphone. With good recordings (any of the Patricia Barber Mobile Fildelity SACD's, for instance) the bass was all there and it was tighter, deeper, articulated, and more textured than any other headphone. HOWEVER - with average recordings it lacks as much bass as I'd like. Actually the upper range can get a bit aggressive too. It doesn't help how resolving these cans are. Jethro Tull's Songs From the Wood (using the old-chassis SDS) wasn't very listenable, honestly. Same with a old J-pop anime soundtrack I tried. Both these albums are very enjoyable out of the L3000. Later, listened to Jethro Tull's Broadsword and the Beast and Joe Satriani's Surfing With the Alien out of the SDS-XLR with balanced R10's. It was much better than before - very enjoyable, parts were just awesome. IMO though, that was just the amp's doing (amp is not burned in, BTW) - again, I think the L3000 is just voiced better for that type of stuff. Tom's Thiel CS7.2 speaker setup is even better still, of course - the resolution of the R10 with the enjoyability of the L3000
biggrin.gif

Also, the R10 are awesome for classical. Tonailty is just spot on. The Telarc Absolute Sound SACD was just incredible.

Omega II:
I have yet to find my happy place with these. They still can't do rock at all IMO. Even on vocals, classical, acoustic etc, which is more its game - they're not good enough to outdo or even match the top dynamics. Not enough guts or slams or muscle for rock. Drum hits sound spitty when they should either *thwack* or *thump* or *thud*.

L3000:
Everyone on earth should know my thoughts on these by now
tongue.gif

Qualia:
I really like these, which is quite a surprise to me. I don't think the other guys share my sentiments
biggrin.gif
Honestly I'm still not sure what I like so much about them. I actually found the R10 midrange to be more detailed. Tonality also seems a bit "off" and can take some getting used to. However, once I got the fit right (can be a bit tricky - see pics) and gave my ears some serious adjustment time to get acclimated to them - they render a very pleasing, musical image. They're not something I'd listen to acoustic instrument solos on; vocal solos no way. Really like them for music where there's a lot of stuff going on though
biggrin.gif
The Absolute Sound CD was also very enjoyable on these - some tracks I found myself liking them as much as the R10 :eek They kind of started to dissapear and just serve the music, in a few instances. I have my own set on the way, actually.

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #21 of 36
JVC (Victor) DX1000 - Don't listen to these after coming from a well amped L3000 and R10. Just don't - they can't compete. They lack the resolution and bass sounds bloated and slow in comparison. Moving the competition down a level, though - they do very well. Out of my microZOTL I actually prefer these to the W11JPN. Significantly prefer them, in fact. They expose the W11JPNs as victims of a "scooped out" midrange. They expose the W11JPN as fatiguing - there's got to be a nasty spike somewhere in the upper mids/lower treble. Where certain bass notes sound distinctly defined and pleasing (if not somewhat distorted) on the JVC, the W11 renders a consistent "rumble" sound. I like the W11, I really do
tongue.gif
The JVC's soundstage is much more spacious, it's a non-fatiguing & musical sound, the midrange is lush and filled-in. The JVC's bass is bloated & slow next to the L3000/R10/Qualia, but it can really fill in the bass on a lower end or computer rig nicely - sounds great!

Aug 28, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Gahhh!! I wish I knew about this meet!! Looks really awesome guys, top notch! We need to have an ubermeet soon with all this plus the other ATL and Athens folks. I have some serious headphone envy right now with the R10's and SDS-XLR and all. Great job guys!

Aditya

Yep...it was kind of a last minute thing. We didn't know that Mikhail will be in town until late Friday, and even that it was still unconfirmed. Regarding another meet, we might can arrange one but I need to talk to the owner of these fine headphones b/f we could arrange another meet. If we have the next meet, I doubt that the SDS-XLR will be there.

Aug 28, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #23 of 36
Mike, I agree with most of your impressions on the phones. However I thought the HD650/Zu was better than the Jvc by a wide margin. With the top notch amplification that was there the senns were not far behind any of the other phones.
I think the 02 are just to dark for my tastes. Although with the Droplet CDP and classical they did sound very good.
I'm sorry Mike...But I will never like a headphone that have to wear bubble wrap on my head to get a proper fit!!!(Qualia)
The homemade stats. Very impressive work. I think with some fine tuning they could turn into something. The bass was much nicer than the 02's. As a matter of fact they were pretty good all round.
The SDS-XLR as a preamp into the JC-1 monoblocks was very, very, good. I think I like the soundstage size with the BAT a little better. But the music is much sweeter, and the way the music came from such a stone cold dead quiet background of the Singlepower was awesome. And this is no small feat, because the BAT is quiet. I might have to rethink my upgrade to the VK-51SE and see about a one box balanced Singlepower preamp for my speaker system.
Anyway it was a good time with good people, good gear, and good food. Thanks everybody!

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #24 of 36
That's cool. I like the HD650, but there's just something about the way it does midrange in particular that keeps me from *really* liking it. It's almost like there's a dryness or grainy haze that doesn't go away despite the amplificaton involved (though I still haven't heard them from the SDS-XLR). Maybe it's just my ears, man
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree, Wen's (hozo) homemade stats were incredibly impressive but we've come to expect that fom him! Honestly I don't find them much, if at all, inferior to the O2
biggrin.gif

I also just realized how tired we were late last night when the SDS-XLR was finally fired up. It's amazing anything could sound so great with our ears in that state.

Thanks again to Tom for being the best host ever, and special thanks to Alex (ayt999) for lending the majority of the uber-cool headphones at this meet
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #25 of 36
Perhaps more telling impressions would be to list one's planned actions after hearing all this gear. Personally, my actions:

1) Got SLAM adaptors for my SDS
2) Bought my own Qualia to arrive soon (I don't mind the bubble wrap mod
biggrin.gif
), plan for this to either replace HP2 as the #2 headphone here or possibly to share time with L3000 as #1?
3) Bought the JVC DX1000 to replace the W11JPN, for use as a DVD movies & computer/mp3 headphone
4) Plan to unload W11JPN (pretty much already spoken for, guys) to make up for the JVC purchase
5) Plan to downgrade G08 to an SCD1 to recoup some funds - I prefer the sound of the G08 but the SLAM adaptors make a bigger difference and I need to start making up for this latest binge.
6) Thought about selling HP2 for a little bit (probably not tho), but *never* considered selling the L3000
biggrin.gif

7) No plans to pursue an R10 at this time
biggrin.gif

8) Eventually will get my SDS upgraded for higher power (ala Earls' & Mikhail's recommendations)
9) Possibly future blackgate upgardes for SDS

Aug 28, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #27 of 36
Wow, indeed quite an impressive list of gear and im sure it sounds impressive too. We definately should have some official atlanta meet someday. R10s yummmm;-}

Aug 28, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Perhaps more telling impressions would be to list one's planned actions after hearing all this gear. Personally, my actions:

1) Got SLAM adaptors for my SDS
2) Bought my own Qualia to arrive soon (I don't mind the bubble wrap mod
biggrin.gif
), plan for this to either replace HP2 as the #2 headphone here or possibly to share time with L3000 as #1?
3) Bought the JVC DX1000 to replace the W11JPN, for use as a DVD movies & computer/mp3 headphone
4) Plan to unload W11JPN (pretty much already spoken for, guys) to make up for the JVC purchase
5) Plan to downgrade G08 to an SCD1 to recoup some funds - I prefer the sound of the G08 but the SLAM adaptors make a bigger difference and I need to start making up for this latest binge.
6) Thought about selling HP2 for a little bit (probably not tho), but *never* considered selling the L3000
biggrin.gif

7) No plans to pursue an R10 at this time
biggrin.gif

8) Eventually will get my SDS upgraded for higher power (ala Earls' & Mikhail's recommendations)
9) Possibly future blackgate upgardes for SDS

So, you dropped about $4,500 in the last 24 hours
blink.gif
? Good man
biggrin.gif
!

Aug 28, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #30 of 36
I have to say, anyone who spends a grand on a can for DVD movies and MP3's is my hero
orphsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back