ATH-W5000. wow. wow. wow. wow.
Sep 6, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #16 of 55
Enjoy them, they are very involving emotionally. This is what I enjoyed about them. You also have a nice amp in the Raptor to drive them to get some of the best sounds out of them.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #17 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I have a Raptor too! And the Constantine, not the Paradisea, aaargh!

Inger Marie Gundersen's album "Make This Moment" is one of my favorites. It's an SACD, but I don't have an SACD player, aaargh!

I also have "By Myself," AFAIK her only other album available, also released by the Master Music label of Hong Kong.

I think the W5000+Raptor sounds good, but I prefer the W5000+HA5000 combination's larger soundstage, better details and imaging, and greater airyness. The HA5000 is also more responsive to source and cable differences.

Yep got By Myself as well.. i wish she had more music out there
I think i made a thread about her a while back..

Anyway.. my decision to get a W5000 was largely thanks to you..
I saw in a thread that W5000's mids reminded you of K501. It's downhill from there

I'd love to get a HA5000.. but my 'savings' account (note the irony) doesn't permit it
I'll see though.. if i end up keeping this as my only headphone, why not?

How much are they?

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #18 of 55
Congrats & enjoy the W5000s. The Raptor + W5000s make an awesome combo! What tubes are you using on your Raptor?

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #19 of 55
There are at least two HA5000 for sale now, grab one befote it is too late...they match in heaven....
wink.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #20 of 55
I found the w5000 to be similar to the 650 with a more open Grado-type presentation. If it weren't for the fit that I didn't like, I would have kept the 5000s over the 650s. Very, very nice cans.

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #21 of 55
Argh damn you all..
Found a HA5000 at a nice price, couldn't resist!

I literally have no money now.. I guess the raptor will be for sale soon
Btw, I was using Cyro'd Raytheon 5687 (same as tung-sol) and an RCA 12bh7a

Sep 7, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #22 of 55
Hahaha..Hmmm...you might have my old W5000 with my version of "Fitz" mod if it's loose and has great bass with no rattle issue
wink.gif

They are good headphones. I wish I still have them and make them balanced.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's loose, but stays on my head. I'm not sure if it's because the previous owner had a big head....

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:56 AM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Argh damn you all..
Found a HA5000 at a nice price, couldn't resist!

I literally have no money now..

evil_smiley.gif
Hahahahaha
evil_smiley.gif
Welcome to the thin wallet club!

Quote:

I guess the raptor will be for sale soon
Btw, I was using Cyro'd Raytheon 5687 (same as tung-sol) and an RCA 12bh7a

Those are nice tubes for the Raptor. I like the RCA 12BH7A, and the Tung-Sol 5687's are hard to beat. The only ones I've liked better were the Amperex Bugle Boy 7119.

The HA5000 isn't going to be as bassy as the Raptor. If you are a basshead the W5000+HA5000 probably isn't going to be satisfactory.

It is also very sensitive to source material/recording quality and the quality of the source.

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The HA5000 isn't going to be as bassy as the Raptor. If you are a basshead the W5000+HA5000 probably isn't going to be satisfactory.

It is also very sensitive to source material/recording quality and the quality of the source.

Would you say that it is revealing in nature or just temperamental when you say sensitive?

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #27 of 55
Hey, what are you doing here, you traded away your W5000!
tongue.gif

I would say it is both revealing and temperamental.

I think the W5000+HA5000 system is very picky and temperamental. It can sometimes do a Jekyll and Hyde, sounding sublime and superb with one track, such as Patricia Barber or other well-recorded female jazz vocals. Then it'll change its mood and become bitchy when something like Nelly Furtado or other track that was recorded "hot" comes on, sounding screechy and harsh.

I also think the W5000 is very detailed and revealing, and the W5000+HA5000 combination is more detailed and revealing than the W5000+Raptor. IME, only the R10, SR-007, 4070, and maybe the Airbow SR-SC1 and SA5000 match or exceed the W5000+HA5000's resolution in their respective ways.

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #28 of 55
I hope this guy responds :S

I don't think i'd mind a little less bass if everything else is increased in quality
Lets just hope this guy's for real about sellin it.. then i'll tell ya all about it

PS. Do i need a good voltage upconverter (to 220v) or doesn't it affect SQ?

And im curious about the fitz mod.. does it really make it THAT much better? (esp. more bass would be good if ha5000 has less bass)

Sep 7, 2007 at 2:43 PM Post #29 of 55
IIRC the HA5000 was designed particularly for this heapdhone, considering some EQ curves, that those hepadhones need in order to correct the spectrum balance...I do not think any other amp will match better unless you like that uncorrected spectrum...Also as many low Z heapdhones, I feel they will pair a lot better with SS rather than tubes...
wink.gif

About the converter, they are 100 volts, if you are worried get a good quality oversized transformer, thati sall you will need, that will serve also as an isolation transformer for some problems of the line as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back