ATH-W5000. wow. wow. wow. wow.
Sep 7, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in that case a fuse is probibly inline to prevent overvoltage from a surge, if the 120v AC exceeds that in normal operation it will blow the fuse, no?

I do not think the HA5000 has a fuse, at least I have never found one. It has a circuit breaker/relay in the system which is better I think.

Sep 8, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not think the HA5000 has a fuse, at least I have never found one. It has a circuit breaker/relay in the system which is better I think.

i see, this would serve the same function, does it have a rating?

Sep 8, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #48 of 55
Quote:

I am sure it is integrated into the design to handled anything needed. It's design is beautiful just like the W5000 themselves. If you want to check out the internals, go to the gallery and see if you can access my gallery. Otherwise I have no ideal of a rating for the breaker.

Sep 8, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Normaly fuses blow if the current is too high, not the voltage, if the PSu is not regulated and they have soem parts working in an evoiroment close to the voltage limit, you take the chance of blowing it...Cool down guys, I'm not saying that is and issue, but it could be, depending on how the amp was designed, better save than sorry, if you are going to invest a grand on it, what is 50.00 of a good transformer in comparison, just to be safe...

Also he absolutelly need it as he is running 220volts...

Sep 8, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Absolutely needs it with 220 volts.

Sep 8, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #51 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Normaly fuses blow if the current is too high, not the voltage, if the PSu is not regulated and they have soem parts working in an evoiroment close to the voltage limit, you take the chance of blowing it...Cool down guys, I'm not saying that is and issue, but it could be, depending on how the amp was designed, better save than sorry, if you are going to invest a grand on it, what is 50.00 of a good transformer in comparison, just to be safe...

i see your concern and im not saying its unfounded but i would really like to get to the bottom of the issue as i have been considering the HA5000 for myself.

if current is measured in amperes and increasing the voltage decreases the amps to generate the same watt power, then what else gets damaged if heat buildup based on the circuits resistance is not the main issue? is it just the idea that the power supply caps cannot handle the overvoltage if the PSU in not regulated? assumin gthe PSU is unregulated and any voltage increse goes to the rails then would determining the value of these caps help? does the problem go further than the caps?

after searching it seems that a few US members have run the AT amps on native 120v AC, so far i have found no reports on Headfi about damage. its fairly common knowledge that JDM game consoles dont need to be stepped down and im wondering why i cant find any explainations as to why, could they possibly be overbuilt on purpose to accomidate 120v? i assume there is some margin of headroom above 100v for surges, maybe using a simple surge protector to dirrect +120v surge to ground would help keep these japanese appliances within their limits.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

after searching it seems that a few US members have run the AT amps on native 120v AC, so far i have found no reports on Headfi about damage. its fairly common knowledge that JDM game consoles dont need to be stepped down and im wondering why i cant find any explainations as to why, could they possibly be overbuilt on purpose to accomidate 120v? i assume there is some margin of headroom above 100v for surges, maybe using a simple surge protector to dirrect +120v surge to ground would help keep these japanese appliances within their limits.

Heck, I can easily make the wall voltage here drop below 110VAC with little effort. Crappy power service... it's like a free step-down transformer.

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #54 of 55
i'd think that if the PSU was regulated it would have a broader specified input voltage, it just specifies 100v. but at the same time if its unregulated then its kind of a risk for a $1000 otherwise beautifully built amp, is there any way to tell besides disonnecting the PSU board from powering the amp and measuring the DC voltage during no load situtation?

do you think posting a pic of the amp in the DIY forum someone could verify just by looking at the design?

Sep 11, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #55 of 55
I have a pair of W5000s on the way, if I could only get out of the last three days of work..........
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back