ATH-W5000. wow. wow. wow. wow.
Sep 6, 2007 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
Holy cow i think i've found 'it'! (for me, at least)

My favourite headphones before i've received this today is the $100 K501.. I've tried other headphones, you name it.
The only ones that ever wooed me were the orpheus (duh!) k1000 and Ed9

Why? Because in my opinion, it has amazing mids! Not K701, HD600, DT880, Darths, etc. could top it off

And enter W5000.. When i first put on it on my head it's strangely comfortable.. It's loose, but stays on my head. I'm not sure if it's because the previous owner had a big head (no offense, if you're reading this) or if it's the way it's meant to be, but i'm not complaining! Pressing it closer to my ears gives more bass, but less air and doesn't sound quite right

Turn on the raptor and paradisea, wait a few minutes and pressed play [the CD is Inger Marie- Make this moment]

And i'm home. It's everything i'd want in a headphone really.. Get this, it has BETTER mids than the K501

And bass. Wow, it's nice to have bass with the great mids.

Treble? It's great, non-fatiguing and sparkly. Nothing to complain about

Well, i guess i've found my headphone.. For now at least

I can post up pics and a more coherent review if anyone wants it.. but for now i'll get back to my listening session

EDIT: But i've also got a HD650 w/equinox coming my way.. Also ordered a RAL cable. I doubt they'll stay but we'll see.. In case you're wondering, yes i'm broke as hell

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #3 of 55
Yep, they are good aren't they! I am enjoying mine.

cheers
Simon

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 55
i've been eyeing a pair myself...just picked up a yamamoto ha-02 and would like a nice woody ATH can to go with it
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 55
Yep... it definitely has a lot of mids. Personally, I found it mildly harsh.

Sep 6, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 55
Congrats, you lucky puppy
wink.gif

Have yet to try a pair, but likewise have been eying the possibility to do so...

Enjoy, your newest love ~
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 55
Welcome to paradise. Aren't the details amazing? Just makes you want to listen to all your music to discover it again and then look for more music to enjoy. To me they make listening exciting and nothing else ever sounds the same again...especially your previous heaphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

(Don't let the W5000 haters get you down, different ears = different taste in headphones.)

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 55
Yeah, there really isn't much to hate about the sound of the W5000. My problem is getting a good fit. It just feels a little bit too loose on my head, but if I hold them in the right position, the sound is glorious.

I'll keep playing with the bars to see if I can bend them into a position that works.

BTW, are you going to attempt the Fitz Mod?

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 55
How do you guys wear yours?
I rotate the cups inwards as much as possible (so that the angled drivers are aligned with your ear canals), so that the back of the cups is wider than the front (looks like / \ from above).
Then I put them on my head with the upper arc of the metal bands slightly directed forward, and let the pads adjust themselves to fit around my head without applying much or any force.

This gives me a somewhat loose but very comfortable fit that even accomodates to wearing glasses, I found this to benefit sound quality more rather than trying to get an as tight clamp as possible.

Sep 6, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turn on the raptor and paradisea, wait a few minutes and pressed play [the CD is Inger Marie- Let it be me]

Hey, I have a Raptor too! And the Constantine, not the Paradisea, aaargh!

Inger Marie Gundersen's album "Make This Moment" is one of my favorites. It's an SACD, but I don't have an SACD player, aaargh!

I also have "By Myself," AFAIK her only other album available, also released by the Master Music label of Hong Kong.

I think the W5000+Raptor sounds good, but I prefer the W5000+HA5000 combination's larger soundstage, better details and imaging, and greater airyness. The HA5000 is also more responsive to source and cable differences.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 55
You need to bend headband a bit to get a better seal, that helps with bass tremendously.
They are the best cans I have heard to day. Truly, WOW experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 55
i enjoy my w5000 too, i was eyeing them for months before i finally decided to order and im glad i did, very good all around headphone and VERY comfortable.

Sep 6, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy cow i think i've found 'it'! (for me, at least)

My favourite headphones before i've received this today is the $100 K501.. I've tried other headphones, you name it.
The only ones that ever wooed me were the orpheus (duh!) k1000 and Ed9

Why? Because in my opinion, it has amazing mids! Not K701, HD600, DT880, Darths, etc. could top it off

And enter W5000.. When i first put on it on my head it's strangely comfortable.. It's loose, but stays on my head. I'm not sure if it's because the previous owner had a big head (no offense, if you're reading this) or if it's the way it's meant to be, but i'm not complaining! Pressing it closer to my ears gives more bass, but less air and doesn't sound quite right

Turn on the raptor and paradisea, wait a few minutes and pressed play [the CD is Inger Marie- Let it be me]

And i'm home. It's everything i'd want in a headphone really.. Get this, it has BETTER mids than the K501

And bass. Wow, it's nice to have bass with the great mids.

Treble? It's great, non-fatiguing and sparkly. Nothing to complain about

Well, i guess i've found my headphone.. For now at least

I can post up pics and a more coherent review if anyone wants it.. but for now i'll get back to my listening session

EDIT: But i've also got a HD650 w/equinox coming my way.. Also ordered a RAL cable. I doubt they'll stay but we'll see.. In case you're wondering, yes i'm broke as hell

Yeah.. The 340's have great mids too.. Still need to get a pair of 501's..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back