ATH-W1000X Thread!
Nov 25, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,337 of 1,994
Well the accentuated bass takes away from the mids 

Pretty, pretty please, post some pictures,of the L3000s on the W1000X :)
It'd help me greatly to make up my mind.
Thank you in advance ^_^

Fearless would you please be able to do the same?
I'd really appreciate it.
Many thanks too!

Luke

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:45 AM Post #1,338 of 1,994
  Maybe, but are mods are different as well so that could be it . I used Dynamat on the back of the driver (Lawton style).

I went back of the cups xD  actually I lined the bottom of the deepest part of the cups 

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #1,341 of 1,994
  Why did you line the cup?

Thats what Purrin Did, he lined the Cups and the Drivers. I choose only to line the cups a little bit. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,342 of 1,994
  Thats what Purrin Did, he lined the Cups and the Drivers. I choose only to line the cups a little bit.

If you used non-reflective Dynamat I suppose that would be fine. If you used the silver style It would  make the highs a bit harsh and take away from the resonance of the wood. I did not touch the back of the cup, a few pieces of Dynamat on the inner edge to create weight and lessen vibration. The silver lined Dynamat works like a mirror and reflects high frequencies adversely. But hey, if it sounds good go with it.
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #1,343 of 1,994
The good thing is that the headphone has arrived!
The bad thing is that I am not sure if the drivers are properly matched :/

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #1,344 of 1,994
  The good thing is that the headphone has arrived!
The bad thing is that I am not sure if the drivers are properly matched :/

Oh mai, explain plox 

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #1,345 of 1,994
  Oh mai, explain plox 

It seems as if the left driver is strangely calibrated... sometimes it seems quieter than the right one, sometimes, there seem to be certain frequency [bass] tones missing...
I hope it will go away with burn-in or it's just my ears playing tricks on me.
If not, I'll be very disappointed :/
OT - With the 900X they are sooo comfy and light! And the 3D system is much firmer and doesn't slide at all.
The HiFiMAN pads will arrive tomorrow.

What I've noticed is that the housing is smaller than the 900X's so it will be easier to fit various pads on :] That's good.
The 900X pads are slightly bigger than the 1000X cups but they do fit :]

The stock 1000X pads are terrible... Just a mistake, abomination, faux pas, whatever you wanna call it. The 900X stock pads are much, much better in terms of comfort.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,346 of 1,994
  It seems as if the left driver is strangely calibrated... sometimes it seems quieter than the right one, sometimes, there seem to be certain frequency [bass] tones missing...
I hope it will go away with burn-in or it's just my ears playing tricks on me.
If not, I'll be very disappointed :/
OT - With the 900X they are sooo comfy and light! And the 3D system is much firmer and doesn't slide at all.
The HiFiMAN pads will arrive tomorrow.

What I've noticed is that the housing is smaller than the 900X's so it will be easier to fit various pads on :] That's good.
The 900X pads are slightly bigger than the 1000X cups but they do fit :]

The stock 1000X pads are terrible... Just a mistake, abomination, faux pas, whatever you wanna call it. The 900X stock pads are much, much better in terms of comfort.

Yea the stock pads do suck... and I noticed some of the same thing my self after I modded mine... it went away after about an hour and I've never heard it again. How ever if you have a track that is mastered with, bass on the left, mids ect... on the right. They will carry that! The imaging imo is very nice, very accurate. I noticed the same "off center" presentation from my dt 880 once I balanced it. And by Off Center I mean that left and right are more defined, there is still a Center. And it's very well defined again'st left center and right center :3 

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #1,347 of 1,994
  Yea the stock pads do suck... and I noticed some of the same thing my self after I modded mine... it went away after about an hour and I've never heard it again. How ever if you have a track that is mastered with, bass on the left, mids ect... on the right. They will carry that! The imaging imo is very nice, very accurate. I noticed the same "off center" presentation from my dt 880 once I balanced it. And by Off Center I mean that left and right are more defined, there is still a Center. And it's very well defined again'st left center and right center :3 

Yeah, I think that's it!
I don't think they need any mods right now with the 900X pads, I find them sonically very pleasant.
I will of course try the Hifiman velours and leathers but I wouldn't be disappointed if they don't work :D

It's strange with the off-balance thing because I didn't have this with other headphones but I don't think it really is a mismatch. When I run a driver matching 10 - 20.000hz frequency test that sweeps the whole frequency range, there seem to be bass only in the right channel only and then up from 100+ it goes back to center where it should be.
Then I swapped the sides and it's still on the right, What???
So... it's not really present in any songs as when the bass is center in it, it is center, when it is right/left is is too...
I dunno, must be THE MAGIC WOOD!!!

I still do regard them as a refined 900X though - Better highs extension [I was hoping for it], the bass is tighter but can punch too, it is more coherent and linear IMO, midrange is better balanced, soundstage more accurate. I didn't notice any minor differences in it's width or depth but it is expansive.

Oh, and it's so pretty and lightweight!

[The 1000X pads should be banned as a torture device, seriously?! both thinner AND smaller than the 900X pads?! How is that supposed to fit me!!!] 

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #1,348 of 1,994
  Yeah, I think that's it!
I don't think they need any mods right now with the 900X pads, I find them sonically very pleasant.
I will of course try the Hifiman velours and leathers but I wouldn't be disappointed if they don't work :D

It's strange with the off-balance thing because I didn't have this with other headphones but I don't think it really is a mismatch. When I run a driver matching 10 - 20.000hz frequency test that sweeps the whole frequency range, there seem to be bass only in the right channel only and then up from 100+ it goes back to center where it should be.
Then I swapped the sides and it's still on the right, What???
So... it's not really present in any songs as when the bass is center in it, it is center, when it is right/left is is too...
I dunno, must be THE MAGIC WOOD!!!

I still do regard them as a refined 900X though - Better highs extension [I was hoping for it], the bass is tighter but can punch too, it is more coherent and linear IMO, midrange is better balanced, soundstage more accurate. I didn't notice any minor differences in it's width or depth but it is expansive.

Oh, and it's so pretty and lightweight!

[The 1000X pads should be banned as a torture device, seriously?! both thinner AND smaller than the 900X pads?! How is that supposed to fit me!!!] 

Well that is wierd with sweeps it should be dead center... where did you buy yours from :/ granted they image REALLY well BUT YOU HAD AN HE 6 if the HE 6 Imaged bass im the center, the W1000x should do the same! Image wise there should be no shifts from the HE 6 to the W1000x 

So who did u guy from :xf_eek:

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #1,349 of 1,994
  Well that is wierd with sweeps it should be dead center... where did you buy yours from :/ granted they image REALLY well BUT YOU HAD AN HE 6 if the HE 6 Imaged bass im the center, the W1000x should do the same! Image wise there should be no shifts from the HE 6 to the W1000x 

So who did u guy from :xf_eek:

Yeah, the HE-6 did do it all centre....
I bought from Audiocubes. They have the latest stock and are a well renowned dealer around here...

THE STRANGE THING IS WHEN I SWITCH SIDES, IT'S STILL ON THE SAME SIDE!!!
So... it must be something else and as I said I don't perceive it in actual songs...

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,350 of 1,994

Yeah, the HE-6 did do it all centre....
I bought from Audiocubes. They have the latest stock and are a well renowned dealer around here...

THE STRANGE THING IS WHEN I SWITCH SIDES, IT'S STILL ON THE SAME SIDE!!!
So... it must be something else and as I said I don't perceive it in actual songs...

... WHATS WRONG WITH YOUR EARS lol or it could... actually it COULD VERY WELL be the fit! 

Might be that one side of your head is shaped funny... and your getting a derpy seal on that side of ur head, hence the strange bass presance! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back