ATH-W1000 en route, what to expect?
Jun 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #46 of 63
Awesome deal for W1000! Best headphones for Jazz and vocals I think.

Unforunately, this makes selling my pair since I've upgraded to the W1000 harder :frowning2:

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #47 of 63
I consider W1000s to be one of the most beautiful headphones evar. When I saw this thread I was kicking myself for not seeing it when I was online, as I was hanging around Head-Fi around the same time as the OP.

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #48 of 63

Quote:
I consider W1000s to be one of the most beautiful headphones evar. When I saw this thread I was kicking myself for not seeing it when I was online, as I was hanging around Head-Fi around the same time as the OP.

Ya I'm incredibly pissed that I missed out on this deal, guess I'll have to wait a couple years till the w1000x or w5000 become discontinued lol

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #50 of 63
Just got my W1000s (and Pro 650s). Guess which one I tried first?  Yep you guessed it. They were just too beautiful to let sit there.

I'm currently running these from my uDac so it's probably not the best match but seems adequate.  

Initial thoughts: Very beautiful cans. Extremely comfortable probably the most comfortable cans I own. They disappear from the top of my head unlike the D2000s or DT990s. I have noticed a bit of heat buildup but nothing to really complain about. It could just be that they are fresh of the UPS truck and still a little warm. I'll have to give them a good session once they cool.

The bass is less than I'm used to (D2000/Pro750) but it's far from disappointing. It feels a bit lacking but I do like a bit more bass than I'd consider neutral. I can definitely live with that. Highs are pretty nice but perhaps a bit bright at times. Hopefully burn in will take care of that.

Nonfatiguing, I feel like I could listen to these for hours with any problems. Overall I'd consider the presentation pretty flat, at least more neutral than I'm used to. They are not as involving as some of the other cans I own but not bad. I think these are probably one of the best cans I've tried.

Anyone have any suggestions on a good setup for these (and the incoming AD2000s)? I'm currently running an EF2 from a uDac. Will this setup do these cans justice? I can't wait till my AD2000s come in on Monday!

I'll keep everyone posted as my opinions could very well change. How many hours of burn in is good for these?

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #51 of 63
You lucky dog - congrats!  Mine are scheduled to arrive Monday (W1000) and Tuesday (AD2000).  Your initial report is encouraging.  Let us know how the Pro 650 stack up, as that one's still on my watch list.

BK

Jun 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #53 of 63
Quote:
You lucky dog - congrats!  Mine are scheduled to arrive Monday (W1000) and Tuesday (AD2000).  Your initial report is encouraging.  Let us know how the Pro 650 stack up, as that one's still on my watch list.

BK

Will do. Though I'm not the most experienced listener I'll try to do a decent comparison once everything is burned in of course.

Take my initial findings with a grain of salt. They will probably change as my excitement may have leaked over into my impressions. Too early to tell though. I've only listened to them for about thirty minutes so I haven't covered all the bases yet. They do have a couple of qualities that I could see as being negative for what I listen to. They are very laid back perhaps too much and I thought my D2000s were pretty mellow. Also the bass is lighter than I'd like it. I'll definitely give them a fair chance though.

Quote:
I didn't like the ad2000 with tube amps. If you're a bass head then I see you freak out when you try the ad2000. Bass simply disappears(compared to the d2000).

I hope what I have is decent enough to run these. I wouldn't consider myself a basshead though I do like my presentation to have a little more emphasis on bass. I might be in for a shock. Thanks for the heads up.

Jun 19, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #54 of 63

Quote:
I didn't like the ad2000 with tube amps. If you're a bass head then I see you freak out when you try the ad2000. Bass simply disappears(compared to the d2000).

I agree with you, if you're looking for D2000 bass, the AD2000s don't have it. I'm just reminded how different everyones tastes are every time I come on this site. I feel as though the bass on the AD2000s are sufficient. They are most certainly there, deep and textured for that matter. They might not have a lot of quantity, but the bass is bloody fast, great PRaT. 

Once again though, when I heard the D2000s, those had a bit too much bass for my taste, but many others like that much bass. It really is a different strokes for different folks. I haven't heard the W1000 sadly so I can't give you an experience on how they stack up against the AD2000s.

I'm using something close to your setup now for my AD2000s NapalmK. I don't think a tube amp will really let your AD2000s shine, but even WITH the EF2, I get a "WOW" factor every time I listen to female vocals. Don't worry too much on the amp for now, but a nice SS amp like a Dynalo will drive your AD2000s well in the future. The midrange colour may not be to your liking though, so you'll have to give the AD2000s a try, you might end up selling them if the sound signature isn't to your liking.

The lack of bass may be a shock, but the midrange colour maybe even more shocking.Many people seem to be turned off by the AD2000s forward midrange. Personally speaking I don't feel as though the AD2000s is lacking a full, wholesome sound, on the contrary, the AD2000s sound very rich and luscious with a very sweet midrange, but I hardly see many people agreeing with me on this point. I hope you can make some impressions later on for the AD2000s vs. the W1000 as I'm interesting in hearing those as well.

It's always nice to see people with different preferences post impressions. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #56 of 63
Quote:
I agree with you, if you're looking for D2000 bass, the AD2000s don't have it. I'm just reminded how different everyones tastes are every time I come on this site. I feel as though the bass on the AD2000s are sufficient. They are most certainly there, deep and textured for that matter. They might not have a lot of quantity, but the bass is bloody fast, great PRaT. 

Once again though, when I heard the D2000s, those had a bit too much bass for my taste, but many others like that much bass. It really is a different strokes for different folks. I haven't heard the W1000 sadly so I can't give you an experience on how they stack up against the AD2000s.

I'm using something close to your setup now for my AD2000s NapalmK. I don't think a tube amp will really let your AD2000s shine, but even WITH the EF2, I get a "WOW" factor every time I listen to female vocals. Don't worry too much on the amp for now, but a nice SS amp like a Dynalo will drive your AD2000s well in the future. The midrange colour may not be to your liking though, so you'll have to give the AD2000s a try, you might end up selling them if the sound signature isn't to your liking.

The lack of bass may be a shock, but the midrange colour maybe even more shocking.Many people seem to be turned off by the AD2000s forward midrange. Personally speaking I don't feel as though the AD2000s is lacking a full, wholesome sound, on the contrary, the AD2000s sound very rich and luscious with a very sweet midrange, but I hardly see many people agreeing with me on this point. I hope you can make some impressions later on for the AD2000s vs. the W1000 as I'm interesting in hearing those as well.

It's always nice to see people with different preferences post impressions. 
biggrin.gif

I just got my AD2000s and I must say I'm extremely impressed.  I was expecting less bass but it's got just about the right amount for me. Not as much as the Pro 750 or D2000 but definitely enough. The thing that gets me about the AD2000s though is that they are so much more engaging than anything I've tried. It's like the music is living and breathing (if that makes any sense). I honestly didn't know what I was missing with midrange until I heard these. They sound heavenly. I'll try to get a comparo up in after a while. Though I feel the AD2000 is the better can. This is probably the best $200 I've spent.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #57 of 63

Quote:
Quote:

It's like the music is living and breathing (if that makes any sense). I honestly didn't know what I was missing with midrange until I heard these. They sound heavenly.

I completely agree with your impression. It seems we both dig the AD2000s sound signature. 

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #58 of 63

Quote:

Initial thoughts: Very beautiful cans. Extremely comfortable probably the most comfortable cans I own. They disappear from the top of my head unlike the D2000s or DT990s. I have noticed a bit of heat buildup but nothing to really complain about. It could just be that they are fresh of the UPS truck and still a little warm. I'll have to give them a good session once they cool.

The bass is less than I'm used to (D2000/Pro750) but it's far from disappointing. It feels a bit lacking but I do like a bit more bass than I'd consider neutral. I can definitely live with that. Highs are pretty nice but perhaps a bit bright at times. Hopefully burn in will take care of that.

Nonfatiguing, I feel like I could listen to these for hours with any problems. Overall I'd consider the presentation pretty flat, at least more neutral than I'm used to. They are not as involving as some of the other cans I own but not bad. I think these are probably one of the best cans I've tried.

I'll keep everyone posted as my opinions could very well change. How many hours of burn in is good for these?

The eagle has landed!  I can echo pretty much what NapalmK has already said.  Very pretty, very comfortable, spacious soundstage, less bass than I'm used to, very little isolation. Need to burn them in and acclimate my ears to their signature before I can say much more.  The 7509HD has far more low end impact than the W1000 with only a few hours on it (subjectively with bass-heavy tracks, and qualitatively with the Heartbeat track from Open Your Ears 24/96 sampler).  Actually I've gained a newfound respect for the 7509HD.  The AD2000 should arrive tomorrow.

BK

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #59 of 63
Quote:
Awesome deal for W1000! Best headphones for Jazz and vocals I think.

Unforunately, this makes selling my pair since I've upgraded to the W1000 harder :frowning2:

I see you also have a W1000x. That's another can that I'm considering. Could you offer your impressions on the difference between the W1000 and it's older brother? Thanks!

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #60 of 63

Quote:
Quote:

I see you also have a W1000x. That's another can that I'm considering. Could you offer your impressions on the difference between the W1000 and it's older brother? Thanks!

In general the W1000x's have a much more forward mid presentation, have slightly more bass, and the bass extends lower than the W1000. They seem to be a little more detailed perhaps due in part due to the forward mids and they are slightly more simbilant with some songs. The combination makes them unforgiving with badly mastered/recored sources, you hear every little flaw.They sound fantastic with well record songs! I love them with jazz,rock, and vocals.

The new magnesium frame is lightweight and if possible is even more comfortable than the W1000. The clamping pressure is less and they simply disappear on your head. The metal frame is less prone to creaking than the plastic frame of the W1000. I can imagine if you have fitment issues with other AT phones the lighter clamp of the W1000x will not be an advantage.

All in all, the W1000X is the slimmer, hip-er, athletic and exciting younger brother of the W1000. 

As with any AT phone you can do the "phat pad" mod to help the bass and comfort out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back