ATH SJ5 vs K81DJ
Jun 4, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #106 of 124
I tried the SJ5 2 weeks ago and quite liked them.

Ok, there are these typical forward AT mids that sound a bit plasticish & nasal first, but SQ is overall (slightly) better than the K81. Not much though, it's a bit like PX100 vs KSC75. No reason to throw away the K81, even more as they isolate better than the SJ5.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #107 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll get back to you, since I have three of those four. but first I have some stuff to listen to on my new fostexes.

*bump*

Inkmo, would love to see that comparison between the SJ5, PX 100, KSC75. Did you manage to get around to it?

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #108 of 124
nah, sorry. I haven't really done that yet.
frown.gif

I've just been busy with other things. maybe later. There won't be a real PX100 comparison, too. I don't have one. I just vaguely remember how one sounded...

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #109 of 124
hey guys. i just ordered these from audiocubes last week. i sold my k81's a month ago since they were too tight for my head. i'm also having them shipped to the caribbeans where i go to school now. did anyone have them shipped outside of the US?? if so, how long did it take to get to you?? i'm getting a bit impatient in waiting to get them. also, i went to the website to track the order and it said "returned to sender"???
blink.gif
does that mean i provided the wrong address or something?? or could it just be a translation problem?? audiocubes hasn't responded to me or notified me that the package could not be sent... so i'm kinda lost right now.

any info would be great!

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #110 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by aye5882 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys. i just ordered these from audiocubes last week. i sold my k81's a month ago since they were too tight for my head.!

Dude all you have to do is bend them. LOL after 2 minutes of flexing the metal it loosens up. I dont even feel mind on now.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #111 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude all you have to do is bend them. LOL after 2 minutes of flexing the metal it loosens up. I dont even feel mind on now.

i tried that already. still didn't work. what makes it worse is that i wear glasses. so after about an hour, the inside part of my ears hurt due to the pressure of the headphones...
rolleyes.gif

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #112 of 124
It worked fine for me. I guess I could understand with the glasses though. Good luck with the sj5's. I didn't like them so much, thought they sounded empty. Probably good for indy rock and stuff though.

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #114 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by raffir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well do the SJ5s isolate? I'm hoping they let in people's voices, since I like to hear what's going on around me, but I don't want open phones that leak sound...

k81's do a much better job. of isolating. You'll still hear voices around you at low volumes but it will be much more prominent with the Sj5's

Jul 9, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #115 of 124
I tried A/Bing the K81s and SJ5s at the store I recently bought my K81s at, and the truth is that SQ-wise, it's a matter of trade-offs. Mind you, these were burnt-in test units being sourced from a PSP of my own music.

While the SJ5s had less boom, it also had less impact and depth. And while the highs were extended and were more crisp and detailed, it became overly bright for me. I of course didn't remove the pads from the test K81, but removing the pads might stack the SQ test in the K81's favor for some (personally I'm using them right now, because impact is lost without them and mid/high clarity isn't boosted enough for the untamed sound they have right now... this might change after burn-in). And in terms of isolation and build quality, the K81 is definately superior. The comfort issue is the only thing you'd have to look out for.

So for the same price, the K81 trumps the SJ5 on Isolation and Build. The SJ5 trumps the K81 in comfort. The SQ is equal and completely dependant on what you value.

Just my 2p, and I'm a newb Head-Fier having had nothing but a pair of HD201s before this, so take it with a grain of salt. Also take into consideration I BOUGHT the K81s, so that's probably sure to influence this. And finally take into consideration the fact that this comparison was done for quite a short amount of time, I spent ~15mins on various songs. All of the same hard electronic music genre. So yeah, maybe I shouldn't have posted this in the first place. >_>

Dec 25, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #116 of 124
Just bought the SJ5 for $30 shipped
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #118 of 124
I bought the Pro700s too, so they're gonna match (both of them are black).

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #119 of 124
Hmm, for the couple months I've been on the forums I haven't seen too much of the SJ5's, way more people post about the k81's. But there does seem to be some positive feedback for the SJ5's in this thread, however I'm having a tough time finding them for cheap in the U.S. With the K81's now about $50 new, are the hands down the better choice? If not, is anyone selling these for a reasonable price? Comfort is a concern, these phones will be replacing my 201's as portables and I will probably use them while studying. I listen to rock and am getting into classical.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back