ATH SJ5 vs K81DJ
Apr 17, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #92 of 124
Still too early for me to give you guys an informed opinion as I'm still burning my SJ5s in, but so far they're pretty good. When I have some free time later, i'll A/B them with some others. At the moment, they're VERY efficient headphones. I turn the volume down as low as when I listen to my IEMs. I don't know if it's partially due to some of the time I've already put on them, or if it's the lower listening volumes v. Fletcher Munsun curves, but they are sounding far less dark than they were yesterday when I got 'em.

The build is excellent, IMO. Nowhere near as flimsy or plasticky feeling as they appear in photos online. Folks that asked about pad size: They are definitely supra-aural, but considerably larger than the Sony V150 they physically resemble. Right now, I've found the best way to wear them is taken out a little, with the bottom of the pad kinda hooking under my earlobe, and the top resting on the upper part of my outer ear.

Also, I don't think these pads are pleather.... Well, if they are, I'm fooled.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #93 of 124
I got mine yesterday and I am going to recable them tonight making the cord longer and switching the Left and Right because it's easier to just let them sit around your neck (not on head) with the backside facing out.

I don't know why they disigned them like that to begin with.

Apr 24, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #94 of 124
If anyone does know, how does the ATH-SJ5 sound compared to either one of these: KSC75, PX100, Marshmallows? The last time I tried some Audio-Technicas, the vocals sounded a little far off(could it be just a fitting problem?).

Apr 30, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #96 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone does know, how does the ATH-SJ5 sound compared to either one of these: KSC75, PX100, Marshmallows? The last time I tried some Audio-Technicas, the vocals sounded a little far off(could it be just a fitting problem?).

I'll get back to you, since I have three of those four. but first I have some stuff to listen to on my new fostexes.

May 1, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #97 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't have the PX100 so can't compare but in comparison to the Marsh the SJ5 have better detail and are far less muddy, also more sound stage a definite big upgrade over the fx33s. In comparison to the koss phones, it's more based on what you prefer, the SJ5 once again have a little more detail and the bass is more controlled then the 75's and even more so then the Porta Pro's. The best comparison would be along the lines that listening to the SJ5 is akin to hearing a band in a small club, you are immersed into the band. The KSC 75 is listening to a band in a slightly larger venue with a higher ceiling. Which one I prefer is based on what I'm listening to and my mood. Both are very good, but if I had to choose one it would be the SJ5.

May 1, 2007 at 3:05 AM Post #98 of 124
One other thing I haven't mentioned that I like about the SJ5 is that I can wear them comfortably around my neck.

If I swivel both sides so the backs are facing away from me, they are extremely comfortable.

I have a 20" neck, so that was a terrific surprise!

These really are the most convenient and useful portables I own.

May 2, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #100 of 124
Had the AKG K81DJ for a couple of weeks now. As suspected as every supraaureal headphone you really can´t wear them for long stints. Otherwise they are coloured for sure but in a great way. Nothing to listen to classical and such though lol but for movies, gaming and the right type of music great
smily_headphones1.gif

But the comfort wise just kills them. How are you supposed ot enjoy the music if you ears hurt? In the long run the most comfortable headphone wins all the time even if it gets beaten by miles in the short run
wink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #101 of 124
I got my SJ5's the other day - first impressions - they make my ears hot.

This could be because I am not used to anyhting but buds or CX300's but after about half an hour my smoke alarm went off and the family gathered round and started cooking marshmallows on sticks.

They sounded good though.
orphsmile.gif

May 12, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #102 of 124
I have SJ5 and like them a lot. For small potable headphones they are very nice. Good bass, OK mids and they are not so shabby on highs front as well. For $50 you can't go wrong with them.

May 24, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #103 of 124
Hi:

I have been looking around, and these headphones caught my eye. My only concern is that they may not fit completely around my ear (I know that they are supra-aural, but someone also mentioned that they are pretty big). Can anyone who owns one measure how large the inside (i.e. where you ear fits) of the cups are? I want to compare that size to my Sony MDR-XD300. Comfort really is of paramount importance to me, as I wear these headphones for like 8 hours at a time
biggrin.gif

Cheers

May 29, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #104 of 124
Ok, long overdue SJ5 impressions, but Ive owned them for a month now so here they are. Please, take into consideration that my ears are virgins, Ive only used a pair of Sony EX-71 (Mine), Sony V7000 (A friends) , ipod buds and other crappy cheap buds.

First of all, my first surprise was the bass, it was nice and bumpy, well defined too! Clearly beats out anything I've used before. I laughed when I compared them to my friends V7000, in comparison his cans bass sounded muddy and drab.

Second surprise was how efficient they where, they drive great on my PowerBook G4, but a lot of headphones drive well on laptops, but you know they are efficient when they drive well on my PSP! Nice and loud too, I got goose bumps on a certain MGS PO scene. "I...I..I WILL KILL YOU!" "Before you can bring your accursed snake children to this world!"

Sound stage was pretty good, I could tell well certain instruments are in a live orchestra recordings. Flutes in front slightly too the left, to their backs where the violins, to the far right was a trumpet and some trombones. Really nice, again, much better than the other things ive heard before (notice how i stopped calling the other things "headphones"

Mids dont seem as defined as as bass and highs, but they are fine. Overall, you cant beat them for the price. The sound is awesome and its signature doesn't tire me out.

Build quality is top notch, I have a bad reputation of killing headphones in less than 2 weeks but this are holding great, just like the day they got here from japan.

I've let a group of university mates borrow them for a while too see their response, they where wowed by them, one of them said that he wanted me to buy him a pair (he didn't have a credit card) and that he would pay me extra for them.

Also for the person asking about the cup size. They fit all around my ear, they are about 3 inches in diameter. They dont provide much isolation unless you have a big head maybe. They are very comfortable, I can wear them for 4-5 hours without them bothering me. Very portable, you can wear them around your neck barely notice them after a while.

A friend of mines is gonna get a pair of AKGs 81. We might do a in-depth
comparison when he gets them.

Jun 4, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #105 of 124
Im not too happy to see this thread after just ordering k81dj's. Although I did think the bIG bass would be kind of fun, I am more into clarity and detail + good bass.

EDIT- k81's sound really good to me. I'm happy. I was afraid they'd be to muddy but after pulling out the inner foamies they sound great. I don't know why there is 2 layers of foam to begin with. Weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back