ATH Pro700mkII Anniversary Edition, Thoughts? worthed?
Jan 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

bigheadhifi

100+ Head-Fier
http://www.myshopping.com.au/ZM--1218941278_Audio_Technica_PRO700MK2_Anniversary_Edition_Headphones_ETA_Jan

The new ATH Pro700mkII is about $100 more expensive than the original one.. and in my country it is even twice the original price.. are we paying for the ''Limited'' ness of it and the new look or are there really some significant improvements over the old one... the price difference is pretty high..

any thoughts anyone? have anyone any information about this new headphone?

cheers,

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 36

Quote:
they are indeed beautiful. but has anyone got any info about the sound? are there any improvements over the original one?

I gave them a side-by-side listen at a store between the regular and limited pro700mkII and couldn't really find a distinct difference in sound between the two.
The bass on the limited edition seemed softer compared to the regular(Both still have strong bass though) but this is probably because the limited ones haven't been burned in yet compared to the older regular edition.
Though I admit the limited edition pro700mkII look significantly more stylish,in my country they cost $200 more in local currency and that severely brings down their cost to value ratio compared to the regular pro700mkII.

The limited edition m50 look cool too and their cost isn't as much of a bump up to the original as the pro700mkII but the two have difference sound signatures.

Mar 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 36
I just got back from auditioning the regular Pro700MkII against the mkII Anniversary Ed. at the Shinjuku Bic Camera and I could discern a distinct difference between the two, above the fit and finish.

The Anniversary Ed. has punchier bass and less 'rumble'. It's mids are a little more pronounced and it handled the highs more smoothly. Compared to the flat middles of the regular it was noticeable enough even out of an iPod.

There's absolutely a different signature, I much preferred the Anniversary Ed.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 36
I like the build quality and it looks GREAT.  I haven't had much head time with it to give you my impression on the sound.  One thing I don't like it is the high amount of clamping force and the paper thin ear pads.

In case you missed it.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 36
I should be getting a pair of these bad boys tomorrow (if the Fed-Ex guy arrives when I'm at home, that is). I'm really hyped after hearing plenty of good things about the Pro700MK2's, and the improvements over the couple years they've been in production. This Anniversary Edition also sounds like another improvement to the series.

I have a question though, is the headband adjuster just made of plastic? I noticed this watching the unboxing video just now and I got a bit nervous/worried when I saw the adjusters. In my experience, any headphone that does not have at least a partially metal headband adjuster will crack and snap right there in short period of time.

So yeah, are they plastic or metal? Thanks in advance.

P.S. - I also plan to do my own unboxing video whenever I can. Looking forward to it!

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 36
I was going to order them from The Sound Professionals but sadly I placed my order too late and they ran out of stock ):

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 36
I was in the ATH flagship store in taiwan 4 months ago. I saw these, but i don't remember them being more expensive than the regular 700mk2. I could be wrong, but the price will probably go down in a few months when the US actually has more stores selling them

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 36

Quote:
I was in the ATH flagship store in taiwan 4 months ago. I saw these, but i don't remember them being more expensive than the regular 700mk2. I could be wrong, but the price will probably go down in a few months when the US actually has more stores selling them

Actually as of today, the stock that the US has (on the internet atleast) that is based around MSRP has dried up. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:
Actually as of today, the stock that the US has (on the internet atleast) that is based around MSRP has dried up. 

Wow that sucks =( Yeah the problem probably is there are no major retailer selling the pro700mk2's right now, so there are very little supply of it available to the US consumers. Therefore they jack up the prices...

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 36

Quote:
Quote:

Wow that sucks =( Yeah the problem probably is there are no major retailer selling the pro700mk2's right now, so there are very little supply of it available to the US consumers. Therefore they jack up the prices...

I'm actually tempted to buy one on ebay directly from Japan now... this is borderline thievery ):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back