ATH M50X vs Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro vs Shure SRH840 vs Beyerdynamic DT-770
Feb 21, 2014 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mc906

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi

So I'm finally decided to "upgrade" my current headphone. I currently have the m50, and I always wanted the removable cord option, and does not mind paying a little extra for that by selling my current one and getting the new version. I do like the sound of the m50, which I assume will be the same for the m50x, however I do know that there are some more popular option out there, and since I'm upgrading, I should consider.

I currently also have the Shure SE215 IEM.

I listen to mostly mainstream music, hip-hop, r&b, pop.

I only listen straight from my computer and phone because I do know wish to add amps and dacs.

What do you guys think, what are some of the pros and cons of these choices?

PS please consider that I'm currently in an exchange program in Europe, so I have to pay European prices rathar than US street prices. For example the m50x is selling for the same price as the custom one pro on EU Amazon.

PS1 I'm only considering closed back, as I'm often in an environment with others.

PS2 as I mentioned, removable cable is a plus.

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 14
  So I'm finally decided to "upgrade" my current headphone. I currently have the m50, and I always wanted the removable cord option, and does not mind paying a little extra for that by selling my current one and getting the new version. I do like the sound of the m50, which I assume will be the same for the m50x, however I do know that there are some more popular option out there, and since I'm upgrading, I should consider.
I currently also have the Shure SE215 IEM.
I listen to mostly mainstream music, hip-hop, r&b, pop.
I only listen straight from my computer and phone because I do know wish to add amps and DACs.
What do you guys think, what are some of the pros and cons of these choices?
PS please consider that I'm currently in an exchange program in Europe, so I have to pay European prices rathar than US street prices. For example the m50x is selling for the same price as the custom one pro on EU Amazon.
PS1 I'm only considering closed back, as I'm often in an environment with others.
PS2 as I mentioned, removable cable is a plus.

I'm going to "guess" the SRH840s are the best choice (but not as much bass as the ATH-M50s)
Your phone may not have enough juice to drive the DT770s
The Beyer COPs are only 16-Ohm, so maybe not the best choice for plugging straight into a computer's motherboard's audio jack.
If you really like the full bass of the M50s, then I would assume the M50Xs would be to your liking.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #3 of 14
  I'm going to "guess" the SRH840s are the best choice (but not as much bass as the ATH-M50s)
Your phone may not have enough juice to drive the DT770s
The Beyer COPs are only 16-Ohm, so maybe not the best choice for plugging straight into a computer's motherboard's audio jack.
If you really like the full bass of the M50s, then I would assume the M50Xs would be to your liking.

why?

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #4 of 14
I enjoy SRH840 and I frequently recommend them, but I think M50x works better for your preferred genres.

Note: if you decide to buy SRH840, you might need to mod the headband with HD650 foam for comfort.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 14
I am also in same boat. I had M50 now have M50x from amazon pre order. But by reading up I see that in over all DT770 250 ohm is better. I will have Fiio E07K too. So I need some expert advice on what should I go with. I am not bass head.
I listen to EDM, POP, RAP,HIP POP, BOLLYWOOD & INDIAN CLASSIC.
My nneeds: I will use these outside home in winter to walk/travel in city. Mostly in house use.
Budget: $170

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 14
Hi
I'd recommend the M50X, because it is so versatile. (I recently got this new model and have been breaking it in for several weeks. The sound just keeps getting better!) It comes with a shorter "on -the- go" cable you would like for those walks, plus the coiled  9 foot long and the straight 9 foot long cable. 3 cables! For under $200.00 what could be better.
There IS a break- in with these. ( I have another earlier M50s.) The sound has bass, though it doesn't overwhelm, but is definitely there and the upper end has a lot of detail. The mids, though maybe somewhat recessed, seem to get better over time. It is a FUN headphone.

May 8, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 14

i also wonder, because isnt a lower ohm easier to drive?

I know I'm REALLY late to this thread, but I think I can answer this. I'm not a big expert on computers so the terminology won't be as fancy but I think the point will come through.

Your computer, isn't exactly quiet inside. The fan noise and other moving parts make that noise. Your audio has to pass through wires to get to the headphone jack, but those wires (no matter how insulated they are) always pick up a little of that noise. This explains that really high pitched buzzing sound you hear if you have a powerful computer and plug your basic low ohm earbuds in.

So yes lower ohm headphones ARE easier to drive, they also pick up more computer noise. Thus making them not so ideal for plugging into a computer. 

Not saying you can't though, you'll just get more noise than a headphone with 50 ohm impedance for example.

----------------

Also I wanted to jump in with a question for all of you with more headphone expertise than me...

Which of these would you consider "best" for rock music? Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Metallica, etc. ?

I'm a college student so closed, easy to drive from a phone, portability, build quality and comfort are all important factors to me.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 14
I know I'm REALLY late to this thread, but I think I can answer this. I'm not a big expert on computers so the terminology won't be as fancy but I think the point will come through.

Your computer, isn't exactly quiet inside. The fan noise and other moving parts make that noise. Your audio has to pass through wires to get to the headphone jack, but those wires (no matter how insulated they are) always pick up a little of that noise. This explains that really high pitched buzzing sound you hear if you have a powerful computer and plug your basic low ohm earbuds in.

So yes lower ohm headphones ARE easier to drive, they also pick up more computer noise. Thus making them not so ideal for plugging into a computer. 

Not saying you can't though, you'll just get more noise than a headphone with 50 ohm impedance for example.

----------------

Also I wanted to jump in with a question for all of you with more headphone expertise than me...

Which of these would you consider "best" for rock music? Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Metallica, etc. ?

I'm a college student so closed, easy to drive from a phone, portability, build quality and comfort are all important factors to me.

Jun 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 14

----------------

The M50x is not a bad pick if you like the bass beat of the drums, it will suit you well. I you like twang and riffs from guitars, I'd recommend the KRK KNS-8400. To my ears, the KNS 8400 does not have so much pronounced bass, the mids are forward, and highs can be a little sharp.

I've seen the KRK's on amazon for as low as $120.

The M40x, should also be considered just because of budget constraints, and its still a quality headphone for the money. Good bass and bass extension, mids are little forward, and there is some drop off in the highs. Hey, for around $99 better than Beats, and other stuff from big box stores.

The Shure 840 is a good buy, and if you are really wanting the 840, check on ebay, and look for "Sam Ash," they tend to use sampled headphones for professional review, repackage them, and they do carry a full 1 year warranty. That's where I got my cans from. So far, they have been really good to me.

Sep 26, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 14
I had a pair of M50x's and ended up returning them for the Shure 840's. I'm using them with the Mbox Pro 3 (which has a nice strong headphone signal btw). The M50's seemed to have a huge dip in the lower mids and not a ton of bass. The 840's had much more bass and more up front mids. I was looking for a flatter sound the 840's delivered that. They're really good headphones, although I wish they had a little more punch in the bass. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 14
  I had a pair of M50x's and ended up returning them for the Shure 840's. I'm using them with the Mbox Pro 3 (which has a nice strong headphone signal btw). The M50's seemed to have a huge dip in the lower mids and not a ton of bass. The 840's had much more bass and more up front mids. I was looking for a flatter sound the 840's delivered that. They're really good headphones, although I wish they had a little more punch in the bass. 

Wait, what!? Do you need to get your ears checked? Or maybe faulty pair of M50's??? Help me understand what you mean by 840's had much more bass! I own the M50's, and they are not lacking in bass. But I agree the M50's mid's are a tad recessed.

Graphs from Innerfidelity...
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50x.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back