Ath-m50's are great BUT
May 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

navidkasem

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of ATH-m50's and they are an amazing set of headphones, I love everything about them though I wish the bass was a bit stronger but the huge cable coiled/straight ruins it a bit, because its not possible to carry them around. Are there other headphones which sound similar to the m50's under 200$ ?

May 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 12
I carry around my coiled M50s all the time o.o
Anyways, you might want to look at the Phiaton MS400. I ahve heard they sound similar to the M50s with a tad more bass, and they look dam sexy
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 12
I carry my M50's around all the time as well.  Coiled cable.  It's quite nice.  They're certainly not super portable cans, but I have no problem carrying them about campus with a backpack.  

May 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 12
If you have access to a soldering iron consider snipping the cord to a more portable length and attaching a new plug. What's left you can convert to an extension cable for when you need the extra length. Simple and cheap solution. Won't cost over $5 total.

May 2, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I currently own a pair of ATH-m50's and they are an amazing set of headphones, I love everything about them though I wish the bass was a bit stronger but the huge cable coiled/straight ruins it a bit, because its not possible to carry them around. Are there other headphones which sound similar to the m50's under 200$ ?

If you have small ears and thick hair on top on your head ( definitely cannot be bald headed ), the Shure 750 DJ excel the M50 in all area plus detachable cables, extra pair of ear pads. All that and superb SQ for $ 149.00 MSRP.

May 2, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
If you have small ears and thick hair on top on your head ( definitely cannot be bald headed ), the Shure 750 DJ excel the M50 in all area plus detachable cables, extra pair of ear pads. All that and superb SQ for $ 149.00 MSRP.

I don't think so Tim.

SRH750dj has comparable SQ compared to M50, however its build quality is atrocious - worst in the current Shure SRH line in fact, 440 and 840 are much more well-built. Many report snapped plastic extenders (as opposed to M50's thick steel extenders) in as short as a year, also top band is extremely rigid and inflexible (unlike M50's extremely flexible one); the housing for the drivers feel hollow as well. It also has very non-ergonomic ear cushion shape design that puts anyone other than those with the tinniest ears to torture. It does have detachable cables but the cables themselves are just as long as M50 cables which doesn't help with OP's case.

May 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 12
They're not my cup of tea, mind you, but I've owned both the Shure 440 and the M50. I think the M50 sound better, but the 440s are similar enough, with the added benefit of having a detachable cord, if you really care about that sort of thing.

May 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
I don't think so Tim.

SRH750dj has comparable SQ compared to M50, however its build quality is atrocious - worst in the current Shure SRH line in fact, 440 and 840 are much more well-built. Many report snapped plastic extenders (as opposed to M50's thick steel extenders) in as short as a year, also top band is extremely rigid and inflexible (unlike M50's extremely flexible one); the housing for the drivers feel hollow as well. It also has very non-ergonomic ear cushion shape design that puts anyone other than those with the tinniest ears to torture. It does have detachable cables but the cables themselves are just as long as M50 cables which doesn't help with OP's case.

Thank you for the warning about the  durability but my 750 DJs are pretty new and so are my Senn HD558 so only time can tell.To be fair, I did own the M50s for a week or so and my opinion based on the period that I had the M50s. The Shure 440/ 750 DJ mid-range are well better than the M50s, IMO. Again, my music is mostly involving vocals such as Diana Krall,  Norah Jones...and small piece of  jazz from The Fourplay to David Sanborne.....I returned the M50s since they are a bit colored but I do not mind to buy them again gave them more burn in time then maybe I change my opinion.
smile.gif

May 3, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks guys for all the great ideas, Unfortunately the SRH750DJ is a very bad fit for me, i have a huge head and huge ears and the headphones were pretty uncomfortable but I think that they were on par with the ATH-m50 on pretty much every thing ! I am definitely looking into the shortening of the cable, I would have tried wrapping the cable but my one is coiled so its not possible to that.

PS I just discovered that the ATH-m50 with shure 840 pads makes it so much more comfortable and stops the sweating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back