ATH M50s, AD700, or SHR 840?
Oct 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 32

Quote:

Ok I've never heard the ad700s but people often compare them to hd555's which I think are not even in the same class as the shures..So are the ad700 s really that good??

@JayB18  have you ever owned the shures? they are not there in your signature.

Haven't changed my sig in a while. I have the 440's and the AD700 sounds superior, as does the MS-1, DT440, and other $100 open phones I have heard (well maybe not the HD555 but I don't like those at all really).  The Shure 440's sound better than the M50 imo but my brother likes the M50 more cause hes a basshead. 

Oct 6, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #17 of 32
Actually after hearing the AD700's for a bit over an hour I can now safely recommend the AD700.

First of all I MUCH prefer these over my SRH840's. Not saying better just different. I prefer the comfort, soundstage, and balanced with forward-mid sound. Which in my opinion make the SRH840 sound real boring in comparison.

They're also just as detailed or arguably slightly more-so than the SRH840.

I think the AD700 will suit pop and ballad quite well.
They will bring out vocals out a bit more so they become more clear and easier heard (same applies to R&B). They should also bring out any electronic sound in pop a little more forward as well. (They also bring out guitars in rock/metal and other mid-sounds you hear in any genre)

Bass extension is superb on the AD700 but bass quantity is average. However, I think people find the bass quantity a little less than average thanks to the forward mids.

However the bass impact will not be as good as the SRH840 or probably M50. So while vocals and synths are more forward the bumping beat you hear in pop or R&B will be there but it won't be as bumping as the SRH840 or M50.

If you prefer the "bumping beat" in R&B/pop I would get the M-50 or SRH840.
If you prefer the vocals and all the other sound in pop get the AD700.

However, the AD700 should do ballad slightly the best. They all sound great with other genres.

So my recommendation ranked:
#1 AD700 - very comfortable, large soundtage, very detailed/mid-centric sound. deep bass extension but less bass impact
In pop or other vocal focused genres voices should sound slightly better than the other two with these as well as other sounds. Good for pop/ballad. Probably does ballad the best out of the three. Also probably doesn't do R&B as great as the others.
Tied #2- SRH840 - comfort is a personal taste (I find them comfy), very neutral/analytical/detail nothing forward with warm bass. very laid back. decent soundstage. All-arounder. least fun
M-50 - never used but assuming what people say about it's sound sig (recessed mids, impactful bass) they should make pop and possibly R&B slightly more fun than rest of these. However they might not do ballad as well as the others.

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #18 of 32
the ad700 has the lowest and poorest audio quality though.  Its got great immersion factor and comfort, but I stand behind the m50 for this type of listening 

Oct 6, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 32

Quote:
the ad700 has the lowest and poorest audio quality though.  Its got great immersion factor and comfort, but I stand behind the m50 for this type of listening 

No it does not. The midrange, treble, soundstage, separation, detail, clarity, transparency, speed, etc. are also all superior on the AD700.  Some may prefer the overall sound balance of the M50, which I can see why some would, but the AD700 is certainly not of poorer quality. It is superior in some aspects and inferior in others.

Oct 7, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #20 of 32
you need to relisten to all three of them together and test for yourself

if you can debate the m50 and 840 are not more clear sounding than the ad700, i am not really sure what else to tell you except you need to visit the hospital immediately because you are losing your hearing

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #21 of 32

Quote:

if you can debate the m50 and 840 are not more clear sounding than the ad700, i am not really sure what else to tell you except you need to visit the hospital immediately because you are losing your hearing

Have not heard the 840's though I'd expect them to be more detailed than the M50 since they are a step up. My post was comparing the AD700 and M50 and the AD700 is superior to the M50 in SOME aspects of sound while inferior in others. Closed cans always give the impression of more detail due to isolation and more in your face sound though I felt that the M50's over emphasized bass muddies up the midrange detail compared to the AD700. Separation is superior on the AD700 as well. 

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #22 of 32

Quote:

Having both the 840 and the AD700 the level of detail is about the same however it "sounds" like the AD700 is a bit clearer because it's more forward/slightly bright.
It might be even arguable that the AD700 is more detailed the 840.

NONE of those should sound "clearer" than the AD700 however. The 840 is laid-back and very neutral and the M50 has recessed mids.
A brighter sound signature translates to a more "clear" sound which the AD700 has.
If you used an EQ and made the treble/mids more forward it will have a "clearer" sound in any audio equipment.

If you mean "clear" as in level of detail, like I said, between the AD700 and SRH840 it's the same and it's arguable to say the AD700 is slightly better in that department.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #23 of 32
I don't know about a brighter sound signature translate to a more "clear" headphones.  In some situation I can see it, but not all cases.

Oct 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #24 of 32

Quote:
I don't know about a brighter sound signature translate to a more "clear" headphones.  In some situation I can see it, but not all cases.

Clear can also feel like there's a higher level of detail but there really isn't, it's the forwardness of a headphone that can cause that.

Before I could consider myself an audiophile, my Soundblaster soundcard had a "crystalizer" feature that makes your music sound more "clearer" (as in level of detail) when in actuallity it was just eq making the sound, sound more brighter.

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #26 of 32

Quote:
AD700s are very nice in a lot of ways, especially the soundstage, but it's hard to shake the feeling that something is just off (coloration), and some music just doesn't work well with it at all. I think that in the long run 840s are better.

Like pretty much any faster pace music that require some good bass
wink.gif
  I agree that certain music doesn't work well and in matter of fact, I think certain music sounds boring and hollow. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #27 of 32
The m50's are wonderful. They were my first expensive set of headphones. After I sell my senns I plan on buying the shure 840's. They just look sexy and i've read goond things about them.

Oct 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #28 of 32
Now that I think about it, The OP choice of headphones are totally different from one another...one is bass heavy, the other is bass light, and the last is somewhere in the middle.  How wonder he/she has a hard time picking. lol. and the choice of music pop, r&b, and then throw in ballad for a twister
biggrin.gif
  I guess a do it all, but not the best in any type is the best.

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
Like pretty much any faster pace music that require some good bass
wink.gif
  I agree that certain music doesn't work well and in matter of fact, I think certain music sounds boring and hollow. 

Lots of music benefits from a smaller sound stage. If your only talking about 12-20 sounds at one time then yes smaller sound stage will be better. It will be more intimate as if it were you and the band. If you have your favorite Philharmonic on then yes you do need more sound stage to accompany the more instruments so that your feel like your sitting in a large concert hall rather then a small dark acoustic padded room.

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #30 of 32

Quote:

Lots of music benefits from a smaller sound stage. If your only talking about 12-20 sounds at one time then yes smaller sound stage will be better. It will be more intimate as if it were you and the band. If you have your favorite Philharmonic on then yes you do need more sound stage to accompany the more instruments so that your feel like your sitting in a large concert hall rather then a small dark acoustic padded room.

I'm not sure if were talking about the same headphones
redface.gif
, I'm talking about the ad700 and it's large sound stage and light bass can limits on certain music creating a more boring and hollow feel. But with the right song or music they can be very elegant and creates a light floating feel to the melodies. I'm not sure if we're on the same page or not as I am a little bit confuse.

I agree a lot of music benefits from smaller sound stage such as hip hop/trance/pop/some rock or most of the time face pace music which the ad700 is the opposite.  I think the ad700 with fast pace music, the instrument gets messy and hectic with it's larger sound stage and without the adequate bass, the music isn't engaging enough and lack fullness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back