ATh-m50
Mar 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Clipster

New Head-Fier
Are they really that bad?

I have the TMA-1 and for IEM I am currently using Soundmagic e10. i did just order the vsonic vc02 for another set of different iems's. I also have the NU-Force NE-6 and superfi5, i believe. i do listen to all sorts of tunes and was looking at buying the m50's, but I just don't want to buy a product that is popular for all the wrong reasons.

i am looking to stay right around the 120.00 price range and looking for a neutral to some bass-type of phones.

with what i just divulged about what i have and what my tastes are, if there is a better product in this area, feel free to guide.

thanks in advance.

Mar 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
Are they really that bad?

In one word, no.

The M50's are popular for good reasons and are considered one of the best bargain buys out there for headphones.

The bass extention is exceptional, the highs sparkle without causing fatigue. Some say that the mids can be a littled recessed or laid back, but its minimal and offers fantastic detail throughout the range.

They often get matched up against other closed back headphones at 2 to 3 times their price.

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

They often get matched up against other closed back headphones at 2 to 3 times their price.

I'd like to know. 
wink.gif

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 28
Define popular for the wrong reasons? Keep the TMA-1 and save some money IMO.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

I have just been hearing that they are good, but that they are a little over rated. I really want them, but if there something better I was willing to listen. Have you heard the Tma-1's? How do they compare to the m50's?

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 28
They are good, but if you are a basshead or a neutral head there are better options in that price range for those niches. M50's can do it all pretty well

The mids on my pair are not super recessed, everything sounds pretty forward.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 28
No, I never tried them, but I did try a m50 and I didn't see anything wrong with them. A safe buy: good value for the price/sound and comfortable. Don't expect huge improvements between the same price range (in this case less)

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:
No, I never tried them, but I did try a m50 and I didn't see anything wrong with them. A safe buy: good value for the price/sound and comfortable. Don't expect huge improvements between the same price range (in this case less)

so you are saying that the tma-1's are better than the m50s?

so what direction would be a better way to go?

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #11 of 28
I liked the M50 more than the TMA-1 as I find the TMA-1 only good for EDM and vocals sounds very unatural. Probable due to them leaning toward being dark. To me the TMA-1 will beat it in refinement and the M50 bass are better than the TMA-1 if you prefer a little bit more sub bass and plays well with most genre. I wouldn't consider the M50 an upgrade if you get them, but can be more enjoyable. At the same time, don't buy them because they are popular buy them because you think it's what you want to replace the lacking you are getting from the TMA-1.

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

They don't fair "badly" at all comapred to more expensive headphones.

Obviously there is going to be better headphones at 2-3x the price. But are they 2-3x better than the M50's?

I would say not.

Better enough to not listen to the M50 anymore.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #13 of 28
Head-Fi's relationship with the M50 is a lot like that of someone who loves an artist to death when he's underground, but then cries "sell-out" when he gets popular even though he has not compromised his music to sell more albums. When I started browsing the forums in late 2011, all I heard was "The M50 is awesome!" Now it's "The M50 is overrated!" The M50 itself didn't change, it just got more popular, as well as more competition. 

To the OP, if you listen to a variety of music you would probably like the M50 more than the TMA-1, unless you really like a dark sound. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #14 of 28
In my window of view: The M50 is a good headphone. That's all. It's not a 'kill all' at its price range or higher. The M50 soundstage is rather small, highs can be fatiguing with sibilance, bass is okay but could be deeper. But overall tonality is okay, kind of flat with a slight V, good for edm and electronic based tracks. Of course it is better than a lot of other headphones, but that doesn't mean they're are'ne better headphones than it.

op: if you want a 'fresher' sound than it could work for you

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
Head-Fi's relationship with the M50 is a lot like that of someone who loves an artist to death when he's underground, but then cries "sell-out" when he gets popular even though he has not compromised his music to sell more albums. When I started browsing the forums in late 2011, all I heard was "The M50 is awesome!" Now it's "The M50 is overrated!" The M50 itself didn't change, it just got more popular, as well as more competition. 

To the OP, if you listen to a variety of music you would probably like the M50 more than the TMA-1, unless you really like a dark sound. 

that is what i was looking for, something different since the tma-1's was my first foray into headfi. so even if the m50's are in the same price range, they would be a phone that is worth having? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back