Ath-M50 vs Srh750dj direct comparison anyone?
Jan 1, 2011 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

iceshark

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, if you didn't know I posted a thread a few days ago asking about a replacement for my Dr. Dre Solo HD's, and then I found out about the store called Guitar Center which I visited an hour or so ago to try and find the headphones. They had the Ath-M50's and the Srh750dj's, but wouldn't let me try them on even though they had plenty of other models on display for usage...

But the thing is, when I tried on some of the "higher end" headphones (the Shure 840, the Audio Technica M45), I just didn't find them as "lively" as the Solos. They had good quality, but just didn't feel as much fun as the Solo's, for some reason. They honestly didn't seem worth the price, to me. If you don't remember, I made a similar remark aimed towards the Sennheiser HD-25, they didn't seem as lively or worth it.But I'm still fixed on getting the new pair of either M50, Srh750, or POSSIBLY the HD-25. What I would like an answer to are two things:
1.) Direct comparison (or as direct as possible) between the M50 and 750dj, I know what I've heard about the two but if anyone has tried both of these on that's what I would really like to focus on.
2.) When I say they aren't as "lively," could anyone try to explain why? The Solos are the only good pair of headphones I've ever owned, but if I was in a situation where I could choose which one I would want to buy, I'd rather get the Solo HDs than get the Shure 850's, they really did seem to sound... better. More energetic. Why would it sound like that to me?

Thanks.

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 18
Gonna bump this.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 18
I felt the same way when I tried out the M50's at my guitar center today. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's that they weren't burned in or something but I was 99% sure I would buy them there unless I was completely dissapointed by the sound and I was.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Lol, Guitar Center won't let me try on Headphones either, we must have gone to the same one ;P

Lol, he said something about a "health policy" or something like that....

Hallandale, Florida? Hahaha XD I doubt it.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I felt the same way when I tried out the M50's at my guitar center today. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's that they weren't burned in or something but I was 99% sure I would buy them there unless I was completely dissapointed by the sound and I was.

Yeah but the difference is I'm not just "buying" headphones. First I have to sell my Dr. Dre Solo HD's, so I just went there to try them on. But really, from the feedback I hear about the Dr. Dre's, shouldn't these headphones be amazingly better than them??? To me, the M45 and the $200 Shure 850's didn't sound like they would deserve such a price tag. I popped my headphones on and they felt more alive than them. Less "blah." Maybe its because they're more treble oriented... but they sounded kind of like my Creative I-Trigue 2200 computer speakers- very treble, very finely detailed, but kind of monotonous...

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 18
Gah.... bump... >_<

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah but the difference is I'm not just "buying" headphones. First I have to sell my Dr. Dre Solo HD's, so I just went there to try them on. But really, from the feedback I hear about the Dr. Dre's, shouldn't these headphones be amazingly better than them??? To me, the M45 and the $200 Shure 850's didn't sound like they would deserve such a price tag. I popped my headphones on and they felt more alive than them. Less "blah." Maybe its because they're more treble oriented... but they sounded kind of like my Creative I-Trigue 2200 computer speakers- very treble, very finely detailed, but kind of monotonous...

You're making a big mistake that lots of new kids make and many "audiophiles" forget. That mistake it expecting a huge improvement and  expecting a naturual proggression due to price increases.

You have to understand this is subjective, to my6 ears the 840's are boring in comparison to 750dj which are some of the most energetic headphones in the $100-$200 range( the HD25's being the top ones to my ears). I found the 750dj's much more enjoyable then the 840's buit I still respect the 840's as a headphone cause I understand their place among headphones as studio monitors.

Also try tnot to let these audiophiles decieve you Beats aren't bad, at least not the ones you listened to.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 18
So... if you've used the M50's, would you say they are or are not as energetic as the 750's? To be honest, I am using this for non-audiophile MP3/PC/Gaming use, so I want something that will hold my attention for the hour/couple of hours I'll be using it at a time. I want the headphones to be entertainment in itself, so to speak.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
So... if you've used the M50's, would you say they are or are not as energetic as the 750's? To be honest, I am using this for non-audiophile MP3/PC/Gaming use, so I want something that will hold my attention for the hour/couple of hours I'll be using it at a time. I want the headphones to be entertainment in itself, so to speak.

And that's fine, I personally am not a HUGE fan fo the M50's buut I repect them for what they are as well, but to answer your question no they are not as lively. If you're looking for Lively in a portable package like Solo's then HD25-II's or Phiaton MS400, if you willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for a fun energetic V shaped sound sig then the 750dj will be  what you're looking for.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #11 of 18
Good then, that's the answer I really needed! :D

Umm.... so the 750dj would sound MORE lively than those listed for the sacrifice of the comfort?

Hahahaha, I own a pair of Solo HD's my friend, my ears are killing me after an hour and a half of usage. Trust me, comfort is not a big problem for me.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Good then, that's the answer I really needed! :D

Umm.... so the 750dj would sound MORE lively than those listed for the sacrifice of the comfort?

Hahahaha, I own a pair of Solo HD's my friend, my ears are killing me after an hour and a half of usage. Trust me, comfort is not a big problem for me.

Well the headpband is a little wonky on ALL shure headphones, if the 840's were comfortable for you then you should be fine.I'd say HD25's are more lively but suffer from the same comfort issues the Solo's have with the ear pressure. Also don't expect LEAPS and bounds better with the 750dj, at least not at first eventually you'll grow to love them and apprecieate them for what they are.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 18
Alright, my attention has been fixed on the Shure's. Idk, when I tried the HD-25's, I just didn't seem to pounce on them... plus they look really cheap in comparison with the Shure 750's styling, you know, since these will often be with me on the move.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Alright, my attention has been fixed on the Shure's. Idk, when I tried the HD-25's, I just didn't seem to pounce on them... plus they look really cheap in comparison with the Shure 750's styling, you know, since these will often be with me on the move.

The HD25's are nearly industructable they are built of the highest quality, they aren't pretty but they get the job done. Honestly I love the 750dj styling I;'m thinking about Krylon painting it white though.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 18
Meh... still look a bit cheap-ish to me...  (in my last thread I said they looked "like the headphones you'd buy for $2 on an airplane, but bigger") :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back