ATH-M50 vs. Shure 750dj vs. Shure 440
Apr 2, 2011 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

WakiDabeast

500+ Head-Fier
I found the Shure for 63 and the other two for about 100 but with the Shure 440 i will buy the pad and maybe a replacement wire. 
I would like to know which is most portable, best sounding, and best value. As simple as that.
Another thing i was wondering is for the 750dj and srh440 can i replace the cables with any shorter cable that i could use for my ipod on the go, and how annoying is the long curly cable on the ath-m50. 
Please do show me any good deals on any of these headphones. I will use them for mostly personaly music for dubstep, rock, hip hop, techno, and maybe some classical type stuff. I am also considering doing some music making in the future still gotta wait for a nice sound card and maybe an actual mixer instead of a  program. 

Thanks

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 12
I have had a pair of M50's for about 6 months now, and I'd say they are a great pair for the price. Very balanced, but I'd say slightly on the bass side. I personally have the coiled cable version, which I suppose could be a bit heavy if I were to take them on the go. I remember seeing a thread on "braiding" the long cord of the M50 straight cable, so you can make the cable shorter by following that thread (works with any long cable I think). The pleather pads are comfortable and isolate very well, but can get itchy and a bit sweaty if used for a long period of time. Another thing I noticed about the M50's is that if you have glasses on, they kind of hurt if you wear the phones for 2~3 hours. However, you can always change the pads to the DT250 velour pads, which will also increase the bass and decrease isolation (there is a fix for the bass problem).

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 12
Don't get the 750DJ, my roommate has one (I have a M50 instead), I compared my M50 to his 750DJ and it was horrible. Compared to my Audio Technicas, his Shures felt plasticky and hollow in terms of build quality, headband felt like it would crack if I bend it, pleather pads felt uncomfortable, and the sound was very unbalanced, with less bass, average mids, and mechanical, metallic scrapping kind of treble.

Quote:
I found the Shure for 63 and the other two for about 100 but with the Shure 440 i will buy the pad and maybe a replacement wire. 
I would like to know which is most portable, best sounding, and best value. As simple as that.
Another thing i was wondering is for the 750dj and srh440 can i replace the cables with any shorter cable that i could use for my ipod on the go, and how annoying is the long curly cable on the ath-m50. 
Please do show me any good deals on any of these headphones. I will use them for mostly personaly music for dubstep, rock, hip hop, techno, and maybe some classical type stuff. I am also considering doing some music making in the future still gotta wait for a nice sound card and maybe an actual mixer instead of a  program. 

Thanks

Apr 2, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Could  get the link for the braiding?
Thanks
And also alright so the 750's reviews don't hold up either so I guess its the 440 vs m50 sound quality and portability 

In terms of portability i believe the 440 has a shorter cable, and they both fold up in the same way.
For sound i have probably go with the m50, I've heard its generally better that the 440 while only costing a bit more. 

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 12
Yep, here it is. There should also be a link to a braiding site somewhere in the thread. Also, I completely agree with jerg on the 750DJs. I tryed my friends out today and felt that the M50s had much more depth and were more comfortable, even with the pleather pads.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/543614/shure-srh750dj-and-audio-technica-m50-for-portable-use/15

Quote:
Could  get the link for the braiding?
Thanks
And also alright so the 750's reviews don't hold up either so I guess its the 440 vs m50 sound quality and portability 

Apr 4, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:Originally Posted by jerg 

Don't get the 750DJ, my roommate has one (I have a M50 instead), I compared my M50 to his 750DJ and it was horrible. Compared to my Audio Technicas, his Shures felt plasticky and hollow in terms of build quality, headband felt like it would crack if I bend it, pleather pads felt uncomfortable, and the sound was very unbalanced, with less bass, average mids, and mechanical, metallic scrapping kind of treble.

agreed.shure djs are poorly built and sound bad compared to the audio technicas.

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #10 of 12
well i would have to disagree with all of you i have tried the srh 750 djs and the bass was just amazing i think for bass go with the 750djs and no i have the 440s and no there is almost no bass yes the ath 50s have better everything else but for bass 750 win the 440s are really ballanced and is very nice mids but the highs are sometimes a bit harsh i would recommend any of the them to you but for bass 750s for a little bass and good sound a50s for amzing sound 440s (amp not required for the 440s you can go without an amp with the 750 and the ath 50s need an amp)

I listen to dubstep alot soo i am a big fan off bass but i love having sound quility

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #11 of 12
Well, everyone "hears" differently and likes different/specific flavors of cans.
I sure do love my Shure cans so from those I would suggest the any of them! :wink:

http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/

Maybe this shootout from Mike would help.

But like I said, everyone hears differently.
I actually DID NOT liked the AT M50s (fully "burned"). Felt the mids were slightly recessed but they were a bit more warmer than my 440s. Both of them provided enough details and both are fun. I have my 440s with 840 pads and I find them MORE comfortable than the AT-M50s (I also use glasses BTW...).

Anyway, keep doing your research and if you have a music shop near you, bring your CDs and transport (i.e. iPod, Zune, etc.) and test a few out.

Good luck!

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 12
the 750DJ's are a bass heavy can and have plenty of good reviews. I sold my  m50's specifically because I didn't like the bass response, got the DJ's instead and they are great for electronic/rap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back