ATH m50 vs SHR840
Aug 4, 2010 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

hhforever

New Head-Fier
Hi guys(and girls),

As mentioned above, I am contemplating either buying the Audio Technica m50 or the Shure SHR840. Anyone have tried them before and any verdict? Personally I tried both of them before but at different occasion and told myself they are great cas however i kind of forgotten the details like how's the balance and details of sound, therefore i need opinions and advice on these 2 cans.

As to the kind of music i listen to is very varied. Genre-wise, I listen most to classical and jazz. But however i also listen alot to pop/rock or bands with similar genre as Black Eyed Peas.

I do hope someone can help me with these choices. Thanks =)

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 38
The 840 is my favorite overall headphone. If you like a lot of bass, get the M50. If you want a more natural experience with better overall balance and tonal accuracy, get the Shures. IMO, the 840 has sufficient bass for any genera.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 38

Quote:
The 840 is my favorite overall headphone. If you like a lot of bass, get the M50. If you want a more natural experience with better overall balance and tonal accuracy, get the Shures. IMO, the 840 has sufficient bass for any genera.

[size=medium]
If memory serve me right 840 do really have very balanced overall, thats why it attracted my attention, so does the m50 too.
Well I do love bass, thats why i got the sony xb300 but i juz felt the bass is too "boomy". Mid voice is to muddy. Vocal is poor/hardly audible(BTW vocal in any song is very important to me). High pitch is piercing. Hence its only good for electronic music i guess.

Thats why i've been saving up for either the m50 or 840. Hope i can try the 840 and m50 at the same time soon to compare.
[/size]

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 38
If you have a guitar center in your area you should be able to try them both. Personally Im a huge fan of most Audiotechnica cans so Im leaning more towards the M50 but from what Ive read the Shures are more of a complete headset. Depending on your budget you could probably get both at a reasonable price on ebay both new and used. The resale value on them both are decent as well so you can always just sell them if you are not happy. You could go with Amazon with their excellent return policy as an option as well.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 38
For me it's the SRH-840 in terms of sound quality. If I cared about comfort I'd be forced to "downgrade" to the M50s and unfortunately that's what I had to do. The M50s are not a perfect fit, but still better then the 840s for comfort.

The one thing that bothers me is that the 840s have slightly harsh highs. Does anyone else notice this too? Maybe my ears are really too sensitive about this, because I can't stand very bright headphones because of this. The 840s can fatigue my ears somewhat after a few hours. Nothing too horrible. I don't have this issue with the M50s as much.

I also tried the 750DJ from Shure and can't stand them. The fit is about the same and if someone could put everything I dislike into a headphone, it would be them. It's just not the sound signature I like, that's all. If you want more bass then the 840s, definitely try the 750s! They may even have more bass then the M50s, if that was even possible!

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 38

Quote:
For me it's the SRH-840 in terms of sound quality. If I cared about comfort I'd be forced to "downgrade" to the M50s and unfortunately that's what I had to do. The M50s are not a perfect fit, but still better then the 840s for comfort.

The one thing that bothers me is that the 840s have slightly harsh highs. Does anyone else notice this too? Maybe my ears are really too sensitive about this, because I can't stand very bright headphones because of this. The 840s can fatigue my ears somewhat after a few hours. Nothing too horrible. I don't have this issue with the M50s as much.

Quite right.

However after the M50's have burned in, and the memory of the SRH840 has faded a bit, I can honestly say that I don't miss the Shures, and don't consider it a 'downgrade' (but I know what you mean). When I had them both I found the 840 to be more neutral as well. But while I found nothing problematic about the highs, I found the bass lacking. Not in comparison to the M50, but generally. The roll-off was too steep, to early. They had less bass than my DT770's ! Otherwise, amazing, natural, clean and crisp sound.

The M50's just plain kick butt... The bass has calmed down very much and now I find them incredibly listenable and fun. I've only had one instance of 'metallic' highs that some have complained about. And as for comfort... trumps the 840 by miles!

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 38

Quote:
I also tried the 750DJ from Shure and can't stand them. The fit is about the same and if someone could put everything I dislike into a headphone, it would be them. It's just not the sound signature I like, that's all. If you want more bass then the 840s, definitely try the 750s! They may even have more bass then the M50s, if that was even possible!

Wow, I couldn't disagree any more with this post. I absolutely love my 750djs. The bass is what I liked over my 840s. Everybody to their own though.

Aug 4, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 38
Just started reading that article. The M50 is kicking Shures asses!  Haha.  Go M50 Go!  Yeah we all hear differently, blah, blah, blah. 
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 38

Quote:
Just started reading that article. The M50 is kicking Shures asses!  Haha.  Go M50 Go!  Yeah we all hear differently, blah, blah, blah. 
tongue.gif

I wonder what " Mike " got for a kickback for the M50 advertisement?
I'd rather read reviews from knowledgeable head-fi members that have no agenda.
" Mike" even thinks the Beats are a decent can!!

Aug 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 38
Does Mike borrowed the M50? Cuz he mentioned early in his review some of the cans are borrowed. So i wonder if any modification done to those cans.

I'm burning in my M50, so far it doesnt amazes me much, but not much fault also. Maybe i got used to higher end IEMs....

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 38

Quote:
Does Mike borrowed the M50? Cuz he mentioned early in his review some of the cans are borrowed. So i wonder if any modification done to those cans.

I'm burning in my M50, so far it doesnt amazes me much, but not much fault also. Maybe i got used to higher end IEMs....

Or you might prefer a certain sonic signature?

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #14 of 38

Quote:
I wonder what " Mike " got for a kickback for the M50 advertisement?
I'd rather read reviews from knowledgeable head-fi members that have no agenda.
" Mike" even thinks the Beats are a decent can!!

OMG...maybe in the future he will think the Beats can beat the Shure's. 
mad.gif

I hope not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back