ATH-M50 vs ATH-Pro700 MK2
Jul 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Build It Man

New Head-Fier
I am stuck debating whether to buy the infamous M-50, or the Pro700. Currently they are only $40 different in price on amazon, so price is not a variable. I have included links to their amazon pages below.

ATH-Pro700 MK2 :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KCLIFA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p229_d0_g23_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0TJWNJ1WV6A6ANTN9DXZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

ATH-M50 :
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ULAP4U/ref=s9_simh_gw_p229_d0_g23_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1BNGXN0Z8A6GA75EX7VV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Back to the question, I personally love bass. But only, if the mids and highs are also well expressed. I don't want the bass to overpower everything else.

Whichever headphone i buy will be used everyday and on the go. I do  not currently own a portable amp, so these headphones will be use with no amp modification. Being my everyday headphone, they will need to be durable, and well made

As far as comfort goes; I wear glasses, and for those of you who also do, you know that most headphone cause quite a bit of discomfort. Please also know that i will be buying some new pads for the Pro700's. If i do buy the Pro700 i will probably buy the beyerdynamic dt250 pads (if you know of a better pad please leave a response)

Knowing this info, which headphone is better for me.

Jul 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 14
go for m50 then since all I can hear with a pro700mk2 is bass. somewhat similar to tma1

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 14
I assume you own a pair of the Pro700's, is the bass too empowered? I love bass, just as long as it does not distort the mids and highs. under the discussion of my other concers, I hear the Pro700 have a much better build quality, and seem far more durable.

i really wish someone would post a sound test on youtube. using a microphone to record the playback of a control  song and see the difference between the songs

but back to your reply, what would you say are 3 pros, and 3 cons of each headphone.

thanks for your help 

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 14
The M50 is very response to EQ. A little EQ software tweak can bring the bass level to Pro700 mk2.
I heard them both, side by side comparison. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 14
i put it to you that the pro7's are equally as responsive to eq and bass can be tuned out of it until you find your preference but honestly, i could just be that im obsessed with all things bass and grew up around people who would spend 3x the amount they spent on their car to put in 7 15 inch subs in their trunk to play nothing but bass that rattles the windows of everyone within a 5 block radius (lol true story) but i honestly feel the claims of the pro 7's bass are greatly exaggerated, especially stock

i love my pro7's but thats only after eq'ing and filtering thru bass oriented dsp's, these stock really arent anything to write home about, i truly believe half of the people who praised these as bowel hitting earth shaking bass monsters were coming from grados and the other half just went along like sheep and agreed, they do have bass but it isnt that serious until you eq it in, and even when you do it doesnt distort, rattle or drown out the other frequencies, its like a way more refined xb500 

i also wear glasses and dont really find the pro7's uncomfortable (but i did stretch out the band over a computer tower for like 3 days, the clamping force on these new could crush the flesh out of a melon) and since you plan on getting new pads anyway (i used the m50 pads in the begining with these) the comfort should increase 10 fold and shouldnt be an issue

Jul 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 14
i won both. The m50 are a little more comfortable. But for people to say the pro700 are super tight, they must have bigger heads than me, and i wear a 7 5/8's fitted cap! But anywho, i use the pro700 as my dj cans right now, they work great and they are built like tanks! Sound quality is there, i can tell a minor difference in the quality between them, but i'll say this, i always reach for the pro700 when wanting to listen to something on my ipad or my dj set up. The m50's kind of turned into  the "my brother is over at my house so go ahead and use these, and dont grab my good ones" headphones. So i would recommend the pro700. and then get the dt250 velour pads!

Jul 16, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
i put it to you that the pro7's are equally as responsive to eq and bass can be tuned out of it until you find your preference but honestly, i could just be that im obsessed with all things bass and grew up around people who would spend 3x the amount they spent on their car to put in 7 15 inch subs in their trunk to play nothing but bass that rattles the windows of everyone within a 5 block radius (lol true story) but i honestly feel the claims of the pro 7's bass are greatly exaggerated, especially stock

i love my pro7's but thats only after eq'ing and filtering thru bass oriented dsp's, these stock really arent anything to write home about, i truly believe half of the people who praised these as bowel hitting earth shaking bass monsters were coming from grados and the other half just went along like sheep and agreed, they do have bass but it isnt that serious until you eq it in, and even when you do it doesnt distort, rattle or drown out the other frequencies, its like a way more refined xb500 

i also wear glasses and dont really find the pro7's uncomfortable (but i did stretch out the band over a computer tower for like 3 days, the clamping force on these new could crush the flesh out of a melon) and since you plan on getting new pads anyway (i used the m50 pads in the begining with these) the comfort should increase 10 fold and shouldnt be an issue

Computer tower? really? When I build my PC I used an Obsidian 800D tower, what did you use? 

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
go for m50 then since all I can hear with a pro700mk2 is bass. somewhat similar to tma1

As one who owns the 700's and tried out the tma1. They are not the same. The tma1 is weak in comparison to the 700. Also, the bass is not overpowering at all. Infact, its perfect. They get all the low notes in electronic music and I can feel the bass drum hit from live funk albums. I love mine, though I dont use them much anymore. A rule of thumb with these. They dont have bass like the beats. They dont make more bass. If a song doesn't have heavy bass it wont all of a sudden sound heavy. But, they are pretty much only good to listening to live funk type music(I tried live rock, its not the same) and electronic! They come out awesome with electronic!

Jul 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #10 of 14
I can't speak for the M50, but I have a pair of Pro700MK2s. I love them. The reviews made me nervous about them being too bassy, but then I got honest with myself and realized that my EQ in the car is massively favoring bass emphasis. I mainly listen to electronica/breaks/dubstep and rap, with a splash of hard rock, and these work very well for almost all of my library. They drive fairly well from my phone, and there's plenty of clarity on both the low and high ends. As others have mentioned, the stock pads suck. I swapped for M50 pads and stretched the band a little, and they work just fine on my fat head. I like that they come with 2 different length cords (obviously detachable). The short one is perfect for on the go listening. If you want a solid, fun listening experience, they're a great set of cans.

Jul 24, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
i won both. The m50 are a little more comfortable. But for people to say the pro700 are super tight, they must have bigger heads than me, and i wear a 7 5/8's fitted cap! But anywho, i use the pro700 as my dj cans right now, they work great and they are built like tanks! Sound quality is there, i can tell a minor difference in the quality between them, but i'll say this, i always reach for the pro700 when wanting to listen to something on my ipad or my dj set up. The m50's kind of turned into  the "my brother is over at my house so go ahead and use these, and dont grab my good ones" headphones. So i would recommend the pro700. and then get the dt250 velour pads!

Since you owned both ATH-M50 & ATH Pro700MK2, have you experienced that ATH-M50 has wider sound stage, detail, better separation, better mids & high comparing to ATH Pro700MK2?

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Since you owned both ATH-M50 & ATH Pro700MK2, have you experienced that ATH-M50 has wider sound stage, detail, better separation, better mids & high comparing to ATH Pro700MK2?

I heard both of them from a local headphone shop.
What you said is entirely true. The M50 is better in term of sound quality, however, the Pro700mk2 is much stronger withholding abusing, and the pad is thicker, more comfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back