ATH-M50 v. HD 25-1 ii v. V-Moda M-80 v. SRH940: help, please!
Jan 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

skyline315

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

I currently listen to the SR80is and really enjoy them quite a bit.  For a few reasons, I've been wanting to try something else out.

The open-ear Grados work well at home when I can go into a quiet room and listen to music, but still hear my wife yelling for me when needed :p  I'd like to have a closed solution, however, for work-related things.  Also, I'm just in the mood to try something new and possibly make a small upgrade to my audio gear.  It's a slippery slope, right?

Any advice for me in choosing between these two headphones?  I hear that the HD 25s are fairly aggressive and good for rock music.  Given the fact that I really enjoy the Grado sound, these seem like an appropriate choice.

At the same time, while I do have a lot of rock in my collection, I also have a decent amount of acoustic, jazz, classical, etc.  I like to think that my taste is fairly diverse.  That leads me to think that the ATs might be a better all-around solution, and they also seem to be slightly cheaper.  

Comfort has been an issue for me with the Grados, the earpads and band both bother me after an hour or so of listening.  Do either of the headphones I'm looking at have a comfort advantage?  I've read mixed reviews for both, so I'm not sure what to think.  The over the ear ATs seem like they would be better for me, but I've read that the headband can really aggravate the scalp.

Anyway, I'm struggling with this decision, so any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 35
Honestly I have owned both and prefer the HD 25 to the M50.  The M50 works better for studio work and in the end sounds a bit lifeless.  For the same price you could go with V-Moda's M80.  The M80 has bit more clarity and depth compared to the HD 25, but remains nice and up front sounding like the Grado.  The M80 is also extremely comfortable and is built really well.  They are probably the best in class for the $200 and under category.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #3 of 35

Quote:
Honestly I have owned both and prefer the HD 25 to the M50.  The M50 works better for studio work and in the end sounds a bit lifeless.  For the same price you could go with V-Moda's M80.  The M80 has bit more clarity and depth compared to the HD 25, but remains nice and up front sounding like the Grado.  The M80 is also extremely comfortable and is built really well.  They are probably the best in class for the $200 and under category.

Thanks for the reply!  I had looked at the M80s, but worried that they would sound too gimmicky and geared towards casual listeners, ala the Beats headphones.  I'm not looking for something that colors the sound too severely.  What you're saying about them certainly sounds appealing, though.  Clarity and depth are both very important to me.  I probably hate muddy sound more than anything else when listening to music.

If you're right about the M50s sounding lifeless, then I worry that they may be a tad too flat for me.  Too bad, because after the Grados, I was really itching for something circumaural.  

Jan 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 35
I would not recommend a bad headphone that goes for the M80.  They are awesome sounding.

Check out there review and charts here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5 of 35

Quote:
I would not recommend a bad headphone that goes for the M80.  They are awesome sounding.

Check out there review and charts here:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

Thanks!  I've looked into them quite a bit more since your post and they definitely seem encouraging.  I'm keeping my eye on them.

Quote:
Out of the three you have listed, I have owned the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and I have auditioned the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 at length.

In terms of build quality and isolation, the HD 25 demolishes the M50, no questions asked.

In terms of comfort and sound quality, I prefer the M50 over the HD 25.

Personally, I would try all three before making a decision.

The term sound quality is so subjective, though.  Which aspects of the sound are you referring to?

I'm really torn, to be honest.  One side of me knows that I like the Grado sound, so I think that getting something similar in closed cans would be my best bet.  On the other hand, I'm looking to spend around $200, and part of me is tempted to go for the best (a.k.a. cleanest/clearest) SQ I can get for the money.  If you're going to have a couple of headphones lying around, it's good to have some diversity, right?

I really wish I could try them all before buying, but I can't find anywhere to do that in Nashville.  It sure would simplify matters.  

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
I looked at your original post again and I noticed that you didn't mention anything about portability.

In that case, I would recommend you save up a smidgen more and go for the Denon AH-D2000 headphones, which should be considerably better than anything else you're considering.

Tempting, but I'm not sure I'm willing to spend quite that much.  We'll see.  Are they fairly easy to drive?  I definitely don't want to mess with an amp at work.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 35
Neither one is really broken in yet (bought both in the past month), but I prefer the M80/V80 over the M50 for audio quality. Bass has a nice kick to it, without getting in the way of mids or highs. Both play well with my iPhone 4S with the FiiO E6.

I'm new to this level of the audio world, so I'll just qualify with I may not have golden ears, but I know what I like. And I wouldn't have bought either set without checking here first. Haven't been steered wrong yet (except for the LP post in the deals thread. Those were clunkers. :p)

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 35
I own the M50s and got the M-80s for my son for Christmas. While I do like my M50s very much, I would recommend the M-80s over the M50s for their overall musicality, sound stage and build quality. They are pretty sweet!

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 35
I sold my M50's after I got my Grado SR325i's. No comparison between the two. Still currently own the HD25's but they're nowhere near the grados for rock (and some other genres aswell). Moral of the story: Stick with the grados if you like them, and accept their flaws for what they are.

Now that that's out of the way, if you still decide to get a closed pair, and isolation was the problem, get the HD25's. Isolate a ton better than the M50's for me atleast. Also they are a funner sounding pair of headphones.

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 35
Thanks guys.  It looks like everyone is pretty clearly steering me in a certain direction.  Val seems to really have his claws dug in around here!  I mean that in a jesting way, of course.  :p

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
I sold my M50's after I got my Grado SR325i's. No comparison between the two. Still currently own the HD25's but they're nowhere near the grados for rock (and some other genres aswell). Moral of the story: Stick with the grados if you like them, and accept their flaws for what they are.

Now that that's out of the way, if you still decide to get a closed pair, and isolation was the problem, get the HD25's. Isolate a ton better than the M50's for me atleast. Also they are a funner sounding pair of headphones.

Thanks.  It looks like it's really down between the M-80s, HD25s, and MAYBE the DT1350s if they ever happen to go on sale (unlikely).

I'm not giving up my grados...I imagine they'll still get most of my ear time at home.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 35
Alright, so like I said in my last post, I'm down to deciding between the HD25s and the M-80s. 

Style is a big win for the M-80s, but I'm more concerned with sound quality.  My personal preference is for sound to be clear...I hate it when music sounds like it's sitting behind a veil.  Considering this, it seems like the HD25 might win out, but I think that I may be overstating the difference in sound quality between the two.  Surely the M-80s can hold their own.

Any thoughts on this?  I'm extremely obsessive about these things and this is driving me crazy!  It would be so much easier if I could just listen to them myself :p

Thanks again!

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
Not sure where you are located- Radio Shack carries the M-80s. They have a great return policy!

I actually have a Radio Shack right around the corner from me.  I've just always felt bad buying something with the knowledge that I'm going to return it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back