ATH-M50 Substitute (Portable)
Oct 13, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 26
Just received the JVC HAS700 today. To note, my hat size is 7 3/4, so my head is fairly large. The problem with my ATH-M50s were that they seemed to clamp onto my head, so I would get a headache after about half a hour of usage. The S700s fit extremely comfortably over my ginormous head.
L3000.gif
Perhaps I need to use my M50s more often to loosen the headband.

Regardless, I don't consider myself an audiophile at all - I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I've listened to a few John Mayer songs on my iTouch (Treble Booster EQ) and the sound is surprisingly really decent out of the box. A few days of burn-in should loosen up the sound as it sounds a a tiny bit muddy. Also, it is quite bassy, but I don't mind this. I haven't tested out the noise isolation yet (on the bus anyways).

Another thing to note is the build quality. I feel the wires are of the same quality you would find in cheap-o $10 earphones. I'll have to be careful not to accidentally bend the wires, as there's no warranty coverage. The headphones are almost entirely plastic on the outside except for the metal on the inside for the extender and the leather surrounding the headband.

Aesthetically speaking, they look great and are very lightweight (compared to my bulky M50s).

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5

edit:
No back of the head picture because it was way too awkward to hold the camera backwards lol. My arms aren't long enough. Sorry. It's the same exact way as the front anyways.

Picture 6
The government is after me....
L3000.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #17 of 26
nice nice man.  can u comment after u take them on the bus and see if it isolates well? also, is the bass really nice?  i like to listen to rap so, good bass is a must.  also, would u mind taking more pics of them from the front side and the back side on ur head?  i realize taht u prob dont want ur face on the internet but u can maybe just block it out with mspaint or something.  Really appreciate it man thanks.

Oct 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #18 of 26
Just got back from using the headphones today. The S700s are not 100% noise canceling, but they do reduce a lot of outside noise (e.g. people talking on the bus, shuffling, etc.). I could still hear the bus engine though, so you may need to turn up the volume a little bit. The seal is similar to the ATH-M50s.

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #21 of 26
lol i would do that but they look so bad. there are little wires coming out of the headphones themselves and overall the headphone isn't nice in my opinion.  I really wish someone made a nice <100$ portable headphone that looks nice.  the new klipsch that is coming out might have a chance.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #22 of 26
Maybe you could sell your M50's and get the B&W P5's. I know they are a rather controversial choice here on Head-Fi with their warm sound and big price tag but given that you want something more isolating and you are planning to just use an iPod as source, you'll get the bonus music controls as well.

I've only heard them briefly, but I'm going to receive a pair (for free
biggrin.gif
) so I can dabble in this bigger can business.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #23 of 26
I still need to do a burn-in, but the bass is good; not overpowering. The biggest issue is the questionable quality. Other than that, no issues so far (I've only used it for one day though..). Also, it turns out it's covered by a 1-year warranty. For some reason they didn't list it on the Amazon product page.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #24 of 26
What's not portable about the ATH M50?

They're collapsible and leaving headphones on your neck is silly. When you're not using them put them away in a backpack 
rolleyes.gif

I'd suggest just getting an iem. Off the bat they have good isolation and they're very small for portability.

JVC Marshmallows are cheap and should do the job.

Oct 14, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 26
Sure.. cram the M50s in a messenger bag with my laptop and books.
confused.gif
Plus, the long coil cable is really a turn-off for me.  Practical at home, yes, but not really for public use IMO. I've been considering IEMs, but I prefer over-the-ear feel. The S700s are collapsible as well and ~half the weight of the M50s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back