ATH-M50 Stretching
Jun 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jetsfool

Head-Fier
I bought the m50's a couple of months ago and the clamping has been kind of hard on my head.. iv tried stretching them for about 3 hours or so. over a couple of towels, but they still clamp pretty hard. i also dont want to stretch them too much because then i could lose the isolation. i remember reading somewhere on here that you should only stretch them a little bigger then how the headphones are on your head.. can the people who have stretched there m50's please post some pics of them, so i can see how much i stretching is needed, and some tips on stretching them :)

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 11
I usually stretch before listening for less than a minute. The headband can take some abuse so don't be scared to overstretch if you decide to stretch it before listening. The actual band part (with the passing) can almost go horizontal without overstressing it (in my experience) but I wouldn't stretch it that far too often. I tried regular overnight stretching on a armchair arm (relatively thin arm) but eventually the tightness came back in little less than a week. Some people are more cautious. and I can't say that it won't effect the life expectancy of the headband after repeated stretching for sure, Ive only had them for about a year. Some people use the box of the m50's to strech it overnight.

No pics sorry, but I don't think you will lose any noticeable isolation unless you stretch it out waaay too much.

EDIT: Notice that the pads normally touch when the m50's are unstrtretched. When I stretch them, they have about an inch in between the pads when they are relaxed.

Jun 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Im using the HD25's known for having a strong clamp force. After a couple of months, they are more comfy to me. I think you need to use them everyday and stretch them a bit. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I usually stretch before listening for less than a minute. The headband can take some abuse so don't be scared to overstretch if you decide to stretch it before listening. The actual band part (with the passing) can almost go horizontal without overstressing it (in my experience) but I wouldn't stretch it that far too often. I tried regular overnight stretching on a armchair arm (relatively thin arm) but eventually the tightness came back in little less than a week. Some people are more cautious. and I can't say that it won't effect the life expectancy of the headband after repeated stretching for sure, Ive only had them for about a year. Some people use the box of the m50's to strech it overnight.

No pics sorry, but I don't think you will lose any noticeable isolation unless you stretch it out waaay too much.

EDIT: Notice that the pads normally touch when the m50's are unstrtretched. When I stretch them, they have about an inch in between the pads when they are relaxed.

thanks for the info, i think im gonna try to stretch them out for about an inch while its relaxed too.. was it a noticable diffrence when it was stretched out in comfort?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back