ATH-M50, SRH840, ATH-700, HFi-780 Advice, Opinions?
Jul 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ColeTrain

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking to buy my first pair of good headphones, and I just can't make up my mind. I've been looking for weeks now, and can't come to a decision. I have around 150-200 to spend. Main genres are Punk rock, rock, indie, folk, blues, Dubstep.
I'm also open to other suggestions, but I'd rather have a closed pair. Thanks!

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 4
Heya,

Of those, the Shure 840's would be a good start. Also, with the exception of Dub, the Grado SR225i's would be excellent for your needs. Some BeyerDynamic DT880's would also potentially be good for you.

Also, check out the for sale section, some used headphones can land you some higher quality ones in your price range that way.

Very best,

Jul 26, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #3 of 4
I had ATH-M50s for a while, and though they were terrific (for the price) when I got them, after a few months the bass had gotten so muddy that I wanted to get rid of them. The pleather cups didn't hold together terribly well either, as they had pretty severe cracking by the time I sold them. Everything else was rock solid so far as components go, but I doubt the cups would've lasted a full year.

My roommate was more than happy to buy them from me after listening to them, though, but he is more into hip-hop. He seems quite content blasting his ears off with them.

They are certainly worth looking at, but I wouldn't buy another pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back