ATH-M50 Purchasing
Aug 29, 2011 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BehaCepa

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've done my research, and it seems like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's would be a good purchase. The M50's seem to fit my needs; closed design, over ear, accurate, good for all types of music, etc.. But they are about $50 too expensive for me right now. I can find them on Amazon for about $150, but then I find them for $85 on this website called CandySave.

http://www.candysave.com/audio-technica-ear-cup-headphones-ath-m50-close-back-dynamic-studio-monitor?___store=default&___store=default

I'm wondering if this seems like a legitimate purchase. Can they actually be that cheap when they're $65 more on Amazon?
I don't want to buy some knock-offs, and since this is my first online headphone purchase, I don't want to waste my money.

Does anyone know any cheap legit websites to purchase headphones? If there isn't, and Amazon has the best legitimate price, then I'll wait and save my money.

I'm also welcome to other headphone suggestions. I'm looking for some noise isolation in my headphones, I don't want my headphones to be projecting a whole lot of noise and it would be nice if I couldn't hear outside noises as well. It's not so important that I purchase headphones designed to be noise isolating, which is why I like the M-50's, they don't have a specific function to isolate, but still do it pretty well.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #2 of 13
The price variation on this headphone can be quite wide.  Sometimes you'll see a really sweet deal.  Some of those times, they're fake.

I'd trust if the seller was Amazon.com and not another retailer fulfilling through Amazon.

BUT

If an Amazon seller, eBay seller, or anyone else has a deal that you like, you can check if they are authorized resellers.  If they are, hopefully you'll feel more comfortable purchasing.  If you're not more comfortable, you'll have to refine your shopping to trusted sellers, even if it means a brick and mortar or large chain retailer.

Also, in terms of alternatives, there's a lot of buzz right now about these.  For the price I'd say they're worth a try, and you can either look more into getting an ATH-M50 after, or decide you've got what you need.

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 13
I'd look for reviews for that site. Have you? 
the site looks very similar to scam/fake sites IME. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 13
I can't seem to find anything online saying that site is a scam, but I also can't find much information about them at all. Dunno what to think other then that's a good deal on M50s.

Aug 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Hey guys,

I've done my research, and it seems like the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's would be a good purchase. The M50's seem to fit my needs; closed design, over ear, accurate, good for all types of music, etc.. But they are about $50 too expensive for me right now. I can find them on Amazon for about $150, but then I find them for $85 on this website called CandySave.

http://www.candysave.com/audio-technica-ear-cup-headphones-ath-m50-close-back-dynamic-studio-monitor?___store=default&___store=default

I'm wondering if this seems like a legitimate purchase. Can they actually be that cheap when they're $65 more on Amazon?
I don't want to buy some knock-offs, and since this is my first online headphone purchase, I don't want to waste my money.

Does anyone know any cheap legit websites to purchase headphones? If there isn't, and Amazon has the best legitimate price, then I'll wait and save my money.

I'm also welcome to other headphone suggestions. I'm looking for some noise isolation in my headphones, I don't want my headphones to be projecting a whole lot of noise and it would be nice if I couldn't hear outside noises as well. It's not so important that I purchase headphones designed to be noise isolating, which is why I like the M-50's, they don't have a specific function to isolate, but still do it pretty well.

Heya,

You can get an equivalent to the M50 by getting the HP541. $150 or $50. But sound is so similar you might as well save $100. The M50's are a little more analytical with some slightly recessed mids. The HP541 has lush mids, rolled off smooth highs and is more musical. And that said, this Monoprice HiFI DJ PRO is the same as the HP541 (literally same headphone, rebranded) for only $20. And I have all three. Seriously, the $20 headphones compete with the M50. It doesn't make sense, but it's just true. By the way, if you look in my sig, I'm not cheap. Just trying to save you a buck.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 13
Thank you for all the answers. I'll definitely pass on candysave, it's just not worth it in the end. I think i'll get those kickers from monoprice, they seem to be just what I want. And at $20, there isn't much to lose. Thanks again guys

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Thank you for all the answers. I'll definitely pass on candysave, it's just not worth it in the end. I think i'll get those kickers from monoprice, they seem to be just what I want. And at $20, there isn't much to lose. Thanks again guys

Heya,

You can also get decals for them that are not permanent so you can spruce them to look nicer, or more fun, or simply to hide gaudy logos (like Kicker & Monoprice logogs don't look too attractive). They're cheap. Check 'em out.

Very best,

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 13
Hi guys,
I actually ordered a pair of ATH M50s from CandySave. To be honest, I have no idea whether or not they are counterfeits, but DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS SITE. The packaging was atrocious, and the headband actually was damaged in shipping (or perhaps before shipping). I decided that I didn't want to take the risk of having paid $90 for counterfeit goods, so I tried to return them. The problem is that they only have an email address, and they were terribly slow in getting back to me. After I waited one month to get them (yep, a month), found out they were shipped from hong kong, got sketched out, called AudioTechnica, was told that they might be counterfeits, contacted the company, and waited way too long for each company response, I gave up and kept them.

To be honest, for $90 bucks the headphones are sweet. My theory is that CandySave steals the product from the factory and resells it illegally out of Hong Kong. Or perhaps they somehow get their hands on factory seconds, which would explain the headband being damaged. But I use these headphones for mixing and such, and they've done good work. And even if they are fake, they're still damn good headphones..

Long story short, the candysave.com buying experience was awful. I will never do it again. I don't know if they're real or counterfeit, but they sound great. But since CandySave isn't an authorized retailer, I don't have a warranty. It says in small print, "does not ship in retail packaging." This should have been a clear sign to stay away. My advice, GET THESE HEADPHONES FROM AMAZON.

Dec 17, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 13
BH Photo & Video was selling the M50 straight cable for around $119 up until a few days ago. Now it's $159. That's frustrating. How likely it is to come down to $120 again from a reputable site?

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 13
I  bought my M50s from Amazon Deals about a month ago for $119 I think.  They were in 'Used Like New' condition (basically just an open box item).  The price seems to fluctuate every couple of days.  The good thing about Amazon deals is they have the full Amazon return policy.  I was pretty happy with everything.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back