ATH-M50 or Sennheiser HD380 pro?
Aug 16, 2012 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

JacksonM

New Head-Fier
I'm looking into buying a pair of good headphones in the $100-200 range. I don't really know much about this kind of stuff so after rigorous research and no decision, I came here. I was sort of leaning toward the ath m50s or the senn 380 pros but I heard the m50s weren't very comfortable and the senns had an almost echoey sound. I like to listen to alternative and rock and sometimes a little bit of rap. All suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated!

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
I've heard the m50s aren't very comfortable after a couple hours though. Is that true?

Honestly I think to save you a lot of stress you are going to have to find out for your self if they hurt send them back with in 30 days or what ever. Every ones head is different and wearing something for 2+ hours is never isn't going to work on every one.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #9 of 19
The Crossfade LP is very comfortable and durable. The sound is very bass focused but I find it to be a fun sound signature. Deals on these happen often and they can often be found for $80.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 19
I got the $80 Crossfade LP. I also have the M50.

The M50 is easily the better headphone. Now I know everybody has different preferences, but generally more expensive headphones = more neutral/balanced, as opposed to cheaper headphones that have too much bass and not very detailed. The Crossfade LPs are the latter, while the M50s are the former. And it's not even that the Crossfade LPs have that much more bass - maybe just a bit more. But the sound is quite muffled, and the highs and mids just don't sound right. M50, meanwhile, is very balanced and natural. I can barely stand some of my sub-$300 IEMs anymore after the having M50s. I've been using my Westone W4R and Sony EX1000, along with my M50s. 

Comfort wise, the M50s have a much more cushy and flexible headband. I find the one on the LPs too tight and clamping. The M50s have big, comfortable ear cups that go around your ears. The LPs are more on-ear. They have much smaller ear cups that parts of it will be pressuring on your ears. 

Obviously the design of the LPs is quite flashy. The packaging and unboxing experience is phenomenal. The M50s, on the other hand, was just simple one-step sort of unboxing - take it out of the box. But the white version looks quite good I must say. Although I love my black pair. 

Soundprofessionals.com has had the M50s on sale not too long ago for $100 +shipping, if you can find the M50s for that price, I'd just go for it. Again, if you don't really know much of this stuff, you really can't read too much into people's opinions. You cannot go wrong with the M50s though - they've been here for a long time and remained very popular headphones. They are known for excellent sound quality, price-to-performance, durability, and comfort. They will always be in demand so you won't have trouble selling/trading it. What more can you ask for? BTW I am totally returning my Crossfade LPs next week.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 19
I have both the LPs and ATH-M50. I find the ATH-M50 more comfortable. The LPs just clamp too much to the point that I cannot wear it longer than an hour without needing to take them off for a few minutes. I've been trying to stretch out the headband to relieve some clamping but not much difference so far. They both have very fun sound signatures, but the M50 is clearly the winner as far as sound goes. It is much more balanced and packs a really strong bass punch. For the LPs, things get sort of muddy with the mids but share a similar sound signature to the M50s in other areas. I'd pick the M50s if the price difference is not a factor.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #13 of 19
I have the ATH-M50 and agree that they become uncomfortable after a couple of hours. Compared to my HD280 pros they do not clamp as hard but are heavier and make my ears sweat more. The fact that they do not clamp so well also means I am constantly readjusting them while doing things around the house.
I find the ATH-M50s and the HD280s both have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of sound quality.
I will receive a set of HD380s in a couple of days and may do a comparison of the 3.

Jun 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 19
I have both the HD380 Pros and M50s, and the HD380s are hands down better headphones. The headband padding is better, the earcups will never irritate your ears with cramping, the bass is tighter and not sloppy like on the M50s, and the treble is MUCH smoother and not sibilant and harsh with female singers. The mids and imaging is also MUCH better on the HD380s. 

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
I have both the HD380 Pros and M50s, and the HD380s are hands down better headphones. The headband padding is better, the earcups will never irritate your ears with cramping, the bass is tighter and not sloppy like on the M50s, and the treble is MUCH smoother and not sibilant and harsh with female singers. The mids and imaging is also MUCH better on the HD380s. 

Yes, they are all of those things but I rejected the 380s on two counts, piano tone and string tone. Both sound rather unnatural and as I listen to a lot of classical music this was important. If you don't listen to those genres much then they are indeed an excellent HP. I ended up getting the SRH840s - a versatile and great sounding headphone. It's a little heavy but I don't use it on the move anyway, my Senn IE80s fit that bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back