ATH-M50 or ATH-M50s? ( I know, I know, just hear me out)
Sep 22, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Don't buy it. M50 is the most overrated headphone. Except for its bass, everything is horrible, even the beats pro outperform these ez. No soundstage, thin vocal, unless u are doing DJ stuff, otherwise get an open can or the denon d2000, which is much better than these. Of course a cheap open can like the Q701 really just blown these away

D2000 is $400, Q701 is $225, M50 is $110, and of the three M50 is the only portable one.  Also he made it pretty clear that he's decided on the M50's already

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
+1

I sold my m50, the mids are way too recessed and it's just so overrated. There are much better options OP, if you expand your budget to 200 dollars or even 150, you can get a much better headphone, you won't regret it. Good luck with your new headphone :wink:

Say OP, like myself, does not have the extra money? He has done his research and has settled with the M50's and wants to know if straight or coiled.. stay on topic.

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
Say OP, like myself, does not have the extra money? He has done his research and has settled with the M50's and wants to know if straight or coiled.. stay on topic.

All I'm saying is that if he spent an extra 40 dollars in amazon, he could get the m80 which is a much better HP, but if he doesn't want to expand his budget, that's perfectly fine. I would suggest the coiled cable, it worked perfectly fine for me and it wasn't that long. It didn't bother me at all.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Agreed. The M50 is a good headphone at $110/$120 and is a good choice for many people. But of course not everyone. It would be nice if some people would understand that headphone (and speaker) choice is very subjective 
rolleyes.gif

I like the coiled for portability (much better for tucking into a backpack) and for using with my laptop in my office at work. It's much less unwieldy than a long cable. 

However, just because the coiled extends to 9 feet doesn't mean it's usable at the length--unless you like the cable tugging at one side of your head (lol). I haven't tested how much extension feels comfortable, but if you need more than 5 or 6 feet, it would probably be worth getting an extension cable. 

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 23
Thanks everyone for the lovely advice, I have ordered the ATH-M50 coiled from Sound Professionals and I feel that I have made a good decision. I appreciate the feedback regarding the headphones and your all's opinion on them but I have read reviews and researched quite a bit and feel these are good for me.

Also as to the user who asked why I didn't order them on Amazon, the main reason was that they are not an authorized retailer, the second being, I checked today and their 159 dollars, I got these from SP with 2 day for 134 dollars so I feel that is a pretty good deal.

I may update this thread with my thoughts on them day one if anyone is interested ( probably not ), but thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back