ATH-M50 or ATH-M50s? ( I know, I know, just hear me out)
Sep 22, 2012 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

vgamedude

New Head-Fier
I realize this question has probably been asked 3926494727 times but I wanted some answers tailored to my needs.

So my dear friends I have been browsing the expansive Internet for months looking at all manner of sub 150/200 dollar headphones and I have decided on the M50! (oh the originality)

Anyway after coming to this realization I found another hurdle. Straight or coiled? I understand that the coiled cable is 4 ft ( I think) coiled, and 9 uncoiled, while the straight is 11 feet (!!!). I'm stuck in this decision as normally I would think straight is better, but 11 ft sounds huge. Also with no detachable cable and me sure as hell not wanting to mod or customize the cable or the phone, the cable will most likely be permanent.

I will be using these headphones for tons of stuff and this will be my entry into the wonderful (I hope) world of higher end audio equipment. Being used to the iPhone earbuds it most likely won't take much to impress me however. My uses will be as follows: electronic drumming (I own a TD9 and I will be using these a lot, though perhaps not as much as my drum amp), computer gaming (I do a lot of this, probably too much), and finally listening to music of course!

I'll be taking these with me in the car when I'm taking trips with the family and maybe even walking down my street, most usage will probably occur in the home however, but I still want a manageable cord.

Sorry for any typing errors or poor structure, typing on a phone can be a pain. With these conditions I have listed what do the people on this forum think I should go for?

Also one last thing, I will be ordering from sound professionals and I need these phones by the 28th, I'll be placing the order either today or tomorrow. With that in mind, do you all think I'll receive them by the 28th with their free shipping, or should I go ahead and spend the friggin 18 dollars and get 3 day?

My thanks for reading this and hopefully replying.

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #2 of 23
straight cables are for rookies, go coiled, like a pro

if its too short you can always buy a cheap extension cable just about anywhere. If it's too long your only option is replacing it or "braiding" it, which I think kind of defeats the whole purpose of a straight cable since it ends up 10x as awkward as a coiled...

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 23
i like straightcables...n bundle the extras on the table nearer the amp..
i wont get a coiled cable if the coil is too near the headfone....its just too weighty...left dangling in the air.
i havent seen the coiledcable on the m50 yet.

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 23
If you are using the M50 on the go, coiled is the best option. I never had an issue with the using the coiled version at home or on the go.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 23
Went back and forth for weeks, decided on straight.  Had the M50's about a week and regretted not getting coiled.  The straight cable is very, very long.  I guess I regret my decision less now, but would probably trade for a coiled set.

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 23
Both are bad imo.

Straight is a mile long.
Coiled is a mile too short.

However, for on the go use the coiled does win very well. But then at home straight would win, i love being able to not remove my phones to move. With coiled i run the cable under my tee/jumper, tuck the coil into my trousers, while having the jack dangling back out, for the pmp in my pocket. And once again, highly annoying at home.

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #10 of 23
You'll need an extender to play the TD-9 if you get the coiled, but I'd still recommend it bc it's infinitely more convenient for traveling.  Also is there a specific reason you're ordering it from Sound Professionals?  They're $50 cheaper on Amazon and you get free 2-day shipping, then you could put the savings toward a headphone amp (makes a pretty big difference w/ the M50's)

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Both are bad imo.

Straight is a mile long.
Coiled is a mile too short.

However, for on the go use the coiled does win very well. But then at home straight would win, i love being able to not remove my phones to move. With coiled i run the cable under my tee/jumper, tuck the coil into my trousers, while having the jack dangling back out, for the pmp in my pocket. And once again, highly annoying at home.

With a short coiled cable, you can just buy a high quality extension cable for at home and have the best of all worlds. I don't know why more manufacturers don't sell headphones with a really short cable (a few feet) just for walking around and include a 10 ft extension in the package.

Sep 22, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #12 of 23
IIRC wasn't there some way to braid the straight cable to a more reasonable length?  If you really wanted to, maybe you could coil it for on-the-go moments, then uncoil it for home use.

Anyways, I have the coiled version and never really had major problems with home use except the occasional tension when uncoiled to nearly its full length

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #13 of 23
Don't buy it. M50 is the most overrated headphone. Except for its bass, everything is horrible, even the beats pro outperform these ez. No soundstage, thin vocal, unless u are doing DJ stuff, otherwise get an open can or the denon d2000, which is much better than these. Of course a cheap open can like the Q701 really just blown these away

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
Don't buy it. M50 is the most overrated headphone. Except for its bass, everything is horrible, even the beats pro outperform these ez. No soundstage, thin vocal, unless u are doing DJ stuff, otherwise get an open can or the denon d2000, which is much better than these. Of course a cheap open can like the Q701 really just blown these away

OP asked a specific question regarding the M50, not for your subjective opinion on how the headphone fare compared to other cans. I fail to see how your post helps him.

I own the coiled version and have a friend with the straight cable version. Originally I wasn't sure I made the right decision, but my friend has an absolutely awful time when he takes his M50 on the go. He's tied the cable to a managable length with a rubber band-like contraption, but it's a hassle and looks awkward.

If you're planning on taking these out of the house at times, I would strongly recommend cabled.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

+1

I sold my m50, the mids are way too recessed and it's just so overrated. There are much better options OP, if you expand your budget to 200 dollars or even 150, you can get a much better headphone, you won't regret it. Good luck with your new headphone :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back