ATH-M50 or AKG 271 MK II?
Aug 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 35
You can try both of them at Moog Audio (3828 boulevard St-Laurent Montreal, QC H2W 1X6 (877) 284-7434). I went to the store to see if they had the m50 and what I saw there was heaven...there was a load of headphones! The m50 was very comfortable but a bit small. The inside of the pads touched my ears but it wasn't that bad. As for the k240 mkII(semi-open headphones), the pads are bigger and comfortable but my ears touched the bottom of the cups wich I don't really like for long listening session. I counldn't compare the sound because I forgot my mp3... :frowning2: but for the "comfortability" and "noise blocking", I would go with ath-m50 :).

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #18 of 35
Gonna bump this thread since I'm planning to decide between these two 'phones. Initially ordered the M50 with all the great reviews here & at Headroom. I also got them for $109. I've been drawn to the AKG k271 for some reason all this time also, even though they are up a notch in price class. Read some interesting reviews but they dont seem as popular here.

Anyway, I have had the M50 now for a day and have put maybe 2-3 hrs on them listening and also been running a noise generator when I'm unable to listen to burn them in. I like the M50. The bass is nice, and I find them pretty comfortable. One of the few drawbacks people seem to have is that the mids are a bit recessed and I think I've found that to be true.

I have a thing for female singers, and listen to a lot of acoustic guitar/piano rock along with some jazz, r&b/soul. Lately been more on a bluesy rock kick. Based on the reviews of the k271 the mids seem to be where they shine, so I think I'm willing to trade the bass response for more vocal/mid emphasis. I should have the k271 in about 5 days and hopefully will have a PA2V2 amp in my hands by then, too, and then I will decide for sure.

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 35

LOL Sounds like may be a fake

...no. Sigh.

Akg consumer headphones, such as k141/172/242/272 HD and k601, 701 and 702 are made in Austria.

Akg professional headphones, such as k141/172/242/272 MK II are made in China. You can expect cheaper materials on the Chinese ones, but sound quality and comfort are the same.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
Gonna bump this thread since I'm planning to decide between these two 'phones. Initially ordered the M50 with all the great reviews here & at Headroom. I also got them for $109. I've been drawn to the AKG k271 for some reason all this time also, even though they are up a notch in price class. Read some interesting reviews but they dont seem as popular here.

Anyway, I have had the M50 now for a day and have put maybe 2-3 hrs on them listening and also been running a noise generator when I'm unable to listen to burn them in. I like the M50. The bass is nice, and I find them pretty comfortable. One of the few drawbacks people seem to have is that the mids are a bit recessed and I think I've found that to be true.

I have a thing for female singers, and listen to a lot of acoustic guitar/piano rock along with some jazz, r&b/soul. Lately been more on a bluesy rock kick. Based on the reviews of the k271 the mids seem to be where they shine, so I think I'm willing to trade the bass response for more vocal/mid emphasis. I should have the k271 in about 5 days and hopefully will have a PA2V2 amp in my hands by then, too, and then I will decide for sure.

The K271's are really something special for vocals, female in particular. Very detailed, but not at all sharp sounding. The biggest drawback of these headphones, of course, is the bass. It just doesn't have much impact.

Still, overall very enjoyable, and I hope you like them as much as I do. If you're like me, initially you may not like them, or even hate them, but you gotta let them grow on you. The lack of bass really is a bit of a shock to the system.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #23 of 35

The K271's are really something special for vocals, female in particular. Very detailed, but not at all sharp sounding. The biggest drawback of these headphones, of course, is the bass. It just doesn't have much impact.

Still, overall very enjoyable, and I hope you like them as much as I do. If you're like me, initially you may not like them, or even hate them, but you gotta let them grow on you. The lack of bass really is a bit of a shock to the system.
tongue_smile.gif

I don't think I was patient enough with the K271 but they weren't all that comfortable for me due to the circular shape of the ear pads, of which I preferred the velour. My ears seem to appreciate an oval shape. The mids were exceptional, though, which is why I returned both the ATH-M50 and K271 and have settled on the Shure SRH840. The 840s strike a pretty good balance between the two: full-bodied low end, rich, detailed midrange, and a slightly rolled-off high end.. Plus, they are the most comfortable ear pads of these three. I'd give a slight headband nod to the M50, but the ear pad is a more critical touch point and the 840 ear pad is larger in every dimension and the foam is a bit softer, too. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
I don't think I was patient enough with the K271 but they weren't all that comfortable for me due to the circular shape of the ear pads, of which I preferred the velour. My ears seem to appreciate an oval shape. The mids were exceptional, though, which is why I returned both the ATH-M50 and K271 and have settled on the Shure SRH840. The 840s strike a pretty good balance between the two: full-bodied low end, rich, detailed midrange, and a slightly rolled-off high end.. Plus, they are the most comfortable ear pads of these three. I'd give a slight headband nod to the M50, but the ear pad is a more critical touch point and the 840 ear pad is larger in every dimension and the foam is a bit softer, too. 

The earpads aren't too comfortable, but with use they adjust to your head a little more, particularly the velour pads actually. Mine really started to take on an oval shape after a couple months.

Quote:
m50 is a better overall headphone. the reason is that it has very few flaws. I rather go with m50. first. they are good all arounder in any day.

Eh, I'd disagree. I think a mid-centric headphones makes for a more well-rounded headphone.

Feb 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #26 of 35
try them after 100 burn in.  m50 is very analytical. even more so than shure 840/

Quote:
Quote:

The earpads aren't too comfortable, but with use they adjust to your head a little more, particularly the velour pads actually. Mine really started to take on an oval shape after a couple months.

Quote:
m50 is a better overall headphone. the reason is that it has very few flaws. I rather go with m50. first. they are good all arounder in any day.

Eh, I'd disagree. I think a mid-centric headphones makes for a more well-rounded headphone.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #27 of 35
Have you actually heard the K271? They are far more analytical than the M50, though the M50 extends in the subbass lower than the K271. I also think the M50s are ANYTHING but flawless... Overly warm, lack of resolution, and small soundstage to name a few flaws, but for the price they are good. I think the K271 are much better though.

Quote:
try them after 100 burn in.  m50 is very analytical. even more so than shure 840/

Feb 3, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #28 of 35
I'm not sure about that. I have a pair of k240 Mk II and I've seen a pair of k271 Mk II in person. I'm pretty sure there are all made in Austria. (there is no 242 mk II and 272 mkII)
It says on the boxes and the hp itself. If it says 'made in china', I would consider it as a fake.

Quote:

...no. Sigh. Akg consumer headphones, such as k141/172/242/272 HD and k601, 701 and 702 are made in Austria. Akg professional headphones, such as k141/172/242/272 MK II are made in China. You can expect cheaper materials on the Chinese ones, but sound quality and comfort are the same.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #29 of 35
I owned a K 271 almost 2 years ago, and on the headphone itself and on the box, it said "Made in Austria".

Do you guys think that has changed?  If only the 272 HD is now made in Austria, would that explain the higher prices ($329) that I find all over the place compared to the $180 or so for the 271 MK II?

Although HeadRoom's description of the 271 MK II includes a sentence that says it is 100% made in Austria.  I always thought that was a small part of what made AKG's headphones special.  The only other popular manufacturer from that country I know of is KTM with their off-road motorcycles.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #30 of 35

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. I have a pair of k240 Mk II and I've seen a pair of k271 Mk II in person. I'm pretty sure there are all made in Austria. (there is no 242 mk II and 272 mkII)
It says on the boxes and the hp itself. If it says 'made in china', I would consider it as a fake.

Quote:

...no. Sigh. Akg consumer headphones, such as k141/172/242/272 HD and k601, 701 and 702 are made in Austria. Akg professional headphones, such as k141/172/242/272 MK II are made in China. You can expect cheaper materials on the Chinese ones, but sound quality and comfort are the same.

so your contention is that Adoroma, a major online retailer and authorized AKG dealer, is selling fake AKG products. I seriously doubt that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back