ATH M50 + Mixamp + what else? for PC
May 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Head-Fier
So I decided that I want ATH M50 because of a couple reasons:

1. Good for music, movies AND gaming.
2. Good Bass.
3. Need complete isolation especially for listening to music at the library.
3. $87 shipped from ebay.

So it seems for ps3, I can pair with a mixamp and everything is fine and dandy. I am not an FPS'er, but I care for accurate positioning and sound stage, just not as much. I just want to have an epic experience while gaming and watching movies.

But for the pc, is the mixamp worth it?

I keep hearing people say, get a soundcard instead. (I have an onboard one)

If I get a soundcard, do I need the soundcard + mixamp? Or just one.

I can't afford soundcard and mixamp. If I just get a mixamp w/ onboard, will my headphones not be used to their full potential?

Thanks

May 1, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 23
My old mixamp doesn't have a USB DAC (the usb is just for charging the batteries). Apparently, newer Mixamps have a USB DAC which I have been told by a few reliable online friends that it works better than good PC soundcards, but not as good as uDACs and the like.

I'd like a new Mixamp BECAUSE of this.

May 1, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My old mixamp doesn't have a USB DAC (the usb is just for charging the batteries). Apparently, newer Mixamps have a USB DAC which I have been told by a few reliable online friends that it works better than good PC soundcards, but not as good as uDACs and the like.

I'd like a new Mixamp BECAUSE of this.

so basically, if I get the new mixamp, i don't need a sound card.
bigsmile_face.gif

which means... I can just move the mixamp from the ps3 and pc and still have good sound quality? (im trying to get an all-around setup haha as you can tell)

also, how does the mixamp compared to fiio e5 + bass boost. or should I get both lol?

thanks.

May 1, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 23
Fiio E5 is a piece of garbage to say the least
biggrin.gif
I would just get a sound card like mine, Creative X-Fi Elite Pro. Very accurate positional audio for gaming when CMSS-3D is turned on
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 23
Stang, how do you use an X-Fi with a PS3?
biggrin.gif

The mixamp will be your best solution to use for both, but for $40 you can get an XtremeMusic off ebay and not worry about moving your mixamp from your ps3. And Stang is right, CMSS-3D is amazing.

May 1, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stang, how do you use an X-Fi with a PS3?
biggrin.gif

The mixamp will be your best solution to use for both, but for $40 you can get an XtremeMusic off ebay and not worry about moving your mixamp from your ps3. And Stang is right, CMSS-3D is amazing.

hmmm if its only $30, I can consider it. would you say the xtrememusic is as good as the mixamp for 5.1?
- if it's not all that better, I would rather save money and move things around lol, as I only use headphones for ps3 at night.

also, im assuming that if I want, I can just bring over the mixamp and connect it to the xtrememusic to use as an amp right? or is the mixamp's amping capability not all that amazing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently, newer Mixamps have a USB DAC which I have been told that it works better than good PC soundcards, but not as good as uDACs and the like.

Mad Lust Envy, can you show where you found this? thanks

May 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 23
Oh lol, I thought the OP wrote he had a Mixamp to use with PS3 but wanted something better for the computer
tongue.gif
Anyway, I would try and just get the Mixamp and the sound card.

May 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sashimi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if enough money , get both soundcard and mixamp is a best choice.

hmm I just checked xtrememusic card and seems that there is no optical for the mixamp.

if the new mixamp really comes with a usb dac that is better than sound cards, then that might be my choice.

May 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 23
I like my 2 Fiio E5's just fine, as it will do wonders when having a big amp isn't an option. I can tell you that playing my PSP with the DT770 80's NEEDS the Fiio E5. No reason to carry around a huge ass AMP when using portable devices.

Don't know why the Fiio E5 gets so much hate. Sure it isn't as good as a real amp, but it has it's uses. It especially works well when you want to bring out the bass in your headphones when you don't have the option of using a huge amp.

May 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 23
ignorance is bliss shin... if you enjoy the Fiio, dont let anyone tell you any different.

as for the OP, i say just get the mixamp, it does in fact function as a usb dac (if you buy new).

May 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

as for the OP, i say just get the mixamp, it does in fact function as a usb dac (if you buy new).

alright greatt~! =)

just want to make sure one last time. so if I get the new mixamp w/ usb dac, buying a used sound card for pc, wont help right? sorry ima noob.

also my comp has a spdif out, but not optical out, is there a difference?

thanks so much guys.

May 1, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #14 of 23
almost. your onboard audio won't have dolby digital live, so the signal to the mixamp won't be as good as with a soundcard that did support it. however, it will certainly work.

May 1, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wadec22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
almost. your onboard audio won't have dolby digital live, so the signal to the mixamp won't be as good as with a soundcard that did support it. however, it will certainly work.

ic, what soundcard would you recommend then? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back