ATH-M50 + Logitech Z-2300 out + Sansa Clip+/Fuze portable
May 20, 2011 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Dual1ty

New Head-Fier
Hello to the head-fi community!
I have discovered this site around two weeks ago and you guys tremendously helped me with my headphone ($100-200 range/no amp (low impedance needed). I was just lurking around but now I decided to join the wonderful community. I was between the Ultrasone HFI-580 and the M50's. It does not really matter to me if you say the 580 would have been a better choice, I took many factors into consideration, researched (seemingly) endlessly and even went to a store called DVS in LA to check out both headphones. They seem similar to me and I am even considering buying both (580 instead of the DJ1 since I bought the M50 coiled).
Would that be crazy?

I currently do not own an amplifier.
Iam considering to build a CMoy, tho. I am majoring in EE and that would be an interesting small project for sure :)
I am considering buying a better amp once I (if I) get better headphones in the future.

My question is, if the Logitech Z-2300 headphone jack could possibly as a headphone amp? If you think that I should rather post it in a different subforum, please let me know.

Plus, would the Sansa Clip+/Fuze be a good choice? I read many good things about those, but I also saw posts about users disliking those. Also the Sansa Clip+ plus the M50s would look ridiculous (big cans + tiny mp3 player). But I don't really care as long as they sound good. I own a IPod Nano 2G but they are about to die (battery lasts around 2 hour). What do you guys think? And same as above, if you think I should post it somewhere else, tell me.

Ok that should be it for now. I would love to enter the world of audiophiles and with the purchase of the M50's I hope to have made the right step. Now I am looking for the right source. As of songs, I am collecting 320kbits and have some FLAC files.

Thanks guys

May 20, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 4
Hey buddy, I'm new to the head fi community too. I actually bought my first headphones about 6 years ago but got my first "real" headphones about two days ago :D

As for the Z-2300, to be honest I'm not completely sure. I have the same speakers and they can put out a lot of power, but to be honest, I would just opt for a real headphone amp and DAC when you can. I'm still reading up on it and plan on buying my own soon. 

I don't have the sansa clip+ or fuze, but I do own the original sansa clip. An for a mp3, I think it has one of the best SQ I've experienced. Very good sound for the cost, especially when you pair them with FLAC files. Do you have a budget on how much you 're willing to spend on a portable player? I'm sure there are a lot out there like the cowons that people here recommend. 

But yea, start collecting flac files early! They really do make a difference

May 20, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 4
I tried running the shr 840s off of teh z2300 headphone jack and it is not sufficient to power much of anything.  It won't sound bad on the m50s but they would still probably be underpowered

May 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 4
I see.
Thank you for your input. Because I heard the M50 doesnt necessarily need to be amped and can be used straight out of an mp3 player (that is also why I bought it). Of course, it will sound a little better with an amp but for now, I just wanna enjoy it without one and see what the future brings. As for the Z-2300, I probably just have to test it. But was wondering if anybody saw any posts about somebody testing the Z-2300 jack.
As for the mp3 player, I'd like not to spend too much for it, for now. 50-60 dollars shouldnt be a misstep, I heard it's great for the value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back