ATH M50 IS BEST BRO?
Jan 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 34
From what I've gathered on this forum, if you like punchy bass without it distorting the rest of the music, then yes. You can get them for as low as like $110 from B and H.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 34
I got the m50 off unique squared for $97 and the Senn 595 for $117 from Amazon around Christmas time.  595's have a nicer midrange and highs but I like the 50's better overall.  I find myself not even wanting to listen to the 595's anymore and they might be returned shortly.  50's are a sweet headphone.

Jan 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 34
The other very good choices in this price range are the fostex T50rp, HD555 and Grado SR80/125i. They are all good technically but have different sound signatures when compared to the M50. So any of them would be very good.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 34
Maybe hands down best closed, portable, that sounds good from any device, under $200.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 34
oh see I live in Canada
so essentially you add 30 percent
i got my srh 440s for 99 plus tax which was the cheapest retail
Im selling them and upgrading to the ath m50s and from what I've read they are probably my best option
im partial to a fairly well balanced osund perhaps emphasis on mids and highs so wil lthe m50's be good for me?

they are 190 plus tax bringing them to 214 here

anyone know where I can maybe get em cheaper, or perhaps other options?

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 34
They are one of the best, but they also have a lot of competition even among other closed headphones like the Shure SRH 840 and 750 DJ, the Denon D1001/1100, HD25-1-II, K240/271 etc. It really depends on your preference. Sub $200 I found the D1001, 750DJ and K271 better for my tastes.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 34
I'm sure amazon will ship to canada for cheaper than that. Also if you go to this B and H photo website they have them for around 110.

Quote:
oh see I live in Canada
so essentially you add 30 percent
i got my srh 440s for 99 plus tax which was the cheapest retail
Im selling them and upgrading to the ath m50s and from what I've read they are probably my best option
im partial to a fairly well balanced osund perhaps emphasis on mids and highs so wil lthe m50's be good for me?

they are 190 plus tax bringing them to 214 here

anyone know where I can maybe get em cheaper, or perhaps other options?

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 34
I got mine from here
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-ATHM50-Monitor-Headphones-NEW-/130474433075?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item1e60e1da33
Its price has gone up by 15 dollars to 145 including international postage. You find find slightly cheaper ones on bpphoto/amazon but i dont know if they ship it to canada.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 34
I saw the b and h photo but I felt the price was a bit too good to be true
it was like 80 dollars under the retail and I felt very unsafe doing so especially since I dont shop online AT ALL

so comparing the 750dj and the ath m50 whats the situation there?

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #12 of 34
Well b and h photo is VERY well respected around here in headfi as many members get gear off it. You are really missing out if you are not shopping online. The shures and the M50s have about the same sound signature, U shaped sound in a way. Plus there are very few dedicated headphone shops around so you'll have very hard time getting audio gear from shops as let's face it-not a lot of people care about sound. And the few headphone shops are overpriced on most stuff.

Quote:
I saw the b and h photo but I felt the price was a bit too good to be true
it was like 80 dollars under the retail and I felt very unsafe doing so especially since I dont shop online AT ALL

so comparing the 750dj and the ath m50 whats the situation there?

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 34
Yea i understand but i unno I was never really comfortable shopping online but I suppose if I am to the the m50s it'll be off the b and h however they are out of stock and are back ordered so I suppose I have to wait a while

gives me time to sell mine

man I'm going to save pretty much a hundred if I get it off this site and all goes well

so how does everyone feel about coiled or straight cables?
at first I was annoyed by the coiled on the 440s however I've realized that it's smarter to have 3m coiled rather than 3m uncoiled, despite my classmates constantly being amused by how far it can stretch

ALSO AMAZON WON'T SHIP THEM TO CANADA

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 34
Ah, I guess B and H is your best bet then. Or you could look at the sellers on amazon and go to their individual sites to see if they ship to canada. But I got the coiled simply because I will be using these for portables and I dont need 11 feet of cord hanging out. (Kind of annoying to have to twist tie them to make them shorter)

Quote:
Yea i understand but i unno I was never really comfortable shopping online but I suppose if I am to the the m50s it'll be off the b and h however they are out of stock and are back ordered so I suppose I have to wait a while

gives me time to sell mine

man I'm going to save pretty much a hundred if I get it off this site and all goes well

so how does everyone feel about coiled or straight cables?
at first I was annoyed by the coiled on the 440s however I've realized that it's smarter to have 3m coiled rather than 3m uncoiled, despite my classmates constantly being amused by how far it can stretch

ALSO AMAZON WON'T SHIP THEM TO CANADA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back